I'll get right to the point...

Spouse made some poor choices which resulted in DYFS showing up at our house.

Now she's pending a Psych Eval and depending on results could possibly become a prohibited person.

Will the state make me get rid of my guns if she becomes a prohibited person? I've tried researching this on my own, but am new to NJ and was hoping someone on here may have some info.

I'm thinking of moving them out of state until things get sorted.

They sure will try to make you get rid of them. Prepare yourself. Make sure you have a safe and state she does not have access.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

What Paul Said.

Be prepared for anything once DYFS comes calling.

We had A issue with them with A bogus complaint from my Grandsons useless other Grandmom after we have been raising him for 8 years,

Hell the rep even knew I had A Utah CCW. Luckily it all went away when we spent the time and money to prove the lies she was spouting.

You have to figure out the questions they may ask you and then plan accordingly. First Google the appropriate search terms. If you get nothing consider paying a research library to do a Nexus/Lexus search on specific cases.

Point is if you're from out of state they don't know what you own or even if you have firearms. If they ask you if any firearms are on the premises then storing them off-site is ok. If they ask if you own firearms you might not be able to invoke the 5th amendment because these agencies essentially operate outside the law. If rifles are OK then you can keep your rifles. Or you can just...well, I'm sure you can finish that thought.

Also consider that a safe may not be sufficient in their eyes. Your significant other may spill the beans. If it's important enough to you pay an attorney $500 to advise you.

However: You should also ask yourself and answer honestly -- and only you know the answer because you probably didn't divulge everything -- whether you should have firearms in the house at all. You're already six sevenths f****d by virtue of living in NJ. 

don't forget.....that guy in north jersey.....the broke into all of his safes.

oh yes, those jackbooted stormtroopers who just HAD to bust open his safe then and there instead of getting a locksmith. Something to think about for those who think leo will be on the cival side when it comes to the least bit of unrest. No discretion, common sense just bull your way thru the situation. And he was only the DV victom not even the aggressor.

• Like 1

DYFS can be worse than the law and your guns.

The first thing I did when I filed for divorce was get guns out of my name and home.  dyfs made sure they made it hard to keep my job as well as embarrass my kids at school. They walked right into where I worked and right into my office more than once while in a meeting. They also pulled my kids out of school several time without ever notifying me. NOTHING ever came of it but I know it was part of my being fired. I was told by a superior the place I worked didn't want NO LIABILITIES involving guns. Their point is to embarrass you into saying something that just isn't true.
Worked out for me, was one more reason to leave the state.

Thanks for all the advice guys...I went t ahead and moved them out of state. At least until things begin to get sorted out.

In NJ they know every gun you purchased and if it comes up they will want to know where they are(paper trail) or they will consider you still having them.

In NJ they know every gun you purchased and if it comes up they will want to know where they are(paper trail) or they will consider you still having them.

Only if they were purchased here. OP says he's new to the PRNJ. So any long guns are clean. I'm not clear on the law if you bring hand guns in do you have to some how register them. But I'm sure now I'll find out....lol

• Like 1

Only if they were purchased here. OP says he's new to the PRNJ. So any long guns are clean. I'm not clear on the law if you bring hand guns in do you have to some how register them. But I'm sure now I'll find out....lol

Of course ones you bought in NJ. They know. Been thru the BS and had to come up with the NEW owner of the firearms. I held out for a while and sat in jail until I did. All were legal just didn't want to bring a friend into it but he didn't mind which is why he agreed to take them in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice guys...I went t ahead and moved them out of state. At least until things begin to get sorted out.

This brings up some interesting points of speculation. Not that I want you to broadcast here anything you did....If the firearms were taken to an out of state pc of property you own wouldnt the wife still have access? Or if they were located to a friend/family out of state residence is that an illegal transfer, unless of course you did transfer them.? NJ may consider  that disposal illegal and now the shit will indeed hit the fan, as in what happened in the above post and he did it legally. I dont think you can just "hide" firearms from the state, If they're not in your possession they will want to know what happened to them.

No. Registration is voluntary in the PRNJ. All guns purchased in NJ are registered automatically, but nothing brought in from out of

state is.

No. Registration is voluntary in the PRNJ. All guns purchased in NJ are registered automatically, but nothing brought in from out of

state is.

Knew someone would reply to that. TY...

Another one..IF he had a hand gun that he brought here from a free state and wanted to take it to the range, as long as he had a P2P, would he need to register that gun in order to transport it to the range.

Long guns are not "registered".

Yeah...thats what they claim :no: :no:

Another one..IF he had a hand gun that he brought here from a free state and wanted to take it to the range, as long as he had a P2P, would he need to register that gun in order to transport it to the range.

No. If you bought the handgun legally in another state you do not need a P2P or registration of any kind. It's legally your handgun, so just take it to the range!

Long guns go in the black book of NJ FFL dealers. They are NOT registered. There is a paper trail back to you though.

:facepalm:

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Someone with legal experience should comment here.

As far as I know they can't force you to produce a gun you sold. Are we required to keep the paperwork until we die? Report it if it goes missing or burns or is stolen? Produce it on XX minutes notice?

I sold a .380 to a dealer two years ago. I'd be hard pressed to prove that I did. You're talking about extreme extreme situations where they'd tear my house apart to prove otherwise. 

What do you need to make a private handgun sale in this state?

To be clear, long arms are not registered in NJ if brought in from another state *if you didn't voluntarily admit to their ownership at your local municipality*. They are also not going to be registered to you if you purchased them privately, unless again you voluntarily report their purchase to your municipality.