Ricky_Bobby

Road Trip to NC (Transporting Firearms only) Checklist...

So we are heading down to my in laws on OBX on Saturday, with our 2 pups - there is a good outdoor range about 40 mins from their house, and a ton of LGS's in the area, Walmart etc for ammunition needs.

I think my wife might want to bring her 10/22 to shoot, and I might bring my pair of Glocks down with us to have some fun with - I'm trying to make it easier on myself by not transporting ammo and just buying it at Walmart or the local store when I'm down there -

My inclination is to just put a lock on the zipper of the Takedown bag (mags enclosed will be empty), and take my range bag with my pistols and empty mags and lock up the zippers on that too and toss it in the trunk -

First time doing a road trip with my firearms so am I legal and good to go with that for intrastate transport?

You should familiarize yourself with this - Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA)...  As long as you package your firearms in the manner proscribed therein, you should be OK. What's also important is the route you travel.  Do your best to avoid the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel area and Wash. DC altogether.  The MD Transport Police use ALPR cameras to identify people who might be firearm owners. Look up the threads on here regarding Mr. John Filippidis like this one

If you have to come down I-95 or the NJ Turnpike, a good alternative would be to come down Maryland's Eastern Shore and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. After leaving the Del. Memorial Bridge (or I-495 if coming from the Wilmington side), follow I-95 onto Del 1 South (right where the Christina Mall and Cabela's is). Continue on Del 1 to Del 896 West.  Transfer there to US 301 South. Take US 301 South all the way through Del. and MD (watch speed as you cross the MD state line from Del).  This will merge, eventually with US-50. Continue across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and all the way on US-50 West to the Capital Beltway.  Get on the Capital Beltway South and re-join I-95 there.  

When I need to visit my family in Hunterdon County, I completely bypass all of that by going this route (leaving their house) -

1) I-78 West all the way to I-81 South;

2) I-81 south all the way in VA to I-77 South

3) I-77 south (through Columbia SC) to I-26 East.

4) I-26 East --> I-95, and then continue south to FL.

I-77 will go through Charlotte NC. If it doesn't take you too far from your destinations, then I'd consider that. But if you're going directly to OBX, then use the "Eastern Shore" route above.

Stay Safe.

• Like 1

So we are heading down to my in laws on OBX on Saturday, with our 2 pups - there is a good outdoor range about 40 mins from their house, and a ton of LGS's in the area, Walmart etc for ammunition needs.

I think my wife might want to bring her 10/22 to shoot, and I might bring my pair of Glocks down with us to have some fun with - I'm trying to make it easier on myself by not transporting ammo and just buying it at Walmart or the local store when I'm down there -

My inclination is to just put a lock on the zipper of the Takedown bag (mags enclosed will be empty), and take my range bag with my pistols and empty mags and lock up the zippers on that too and toss it in the trunk -

First time doing a road trip with my firearms so am I legal and good to go with that for intrastate transport?

Case them up, put them in the trunk and drive there.  Don't over think it. If stopped, don't volunteer that there are guns in the vehicle.  Coach anyone else in the car not to talk to the police.

You talk as little as is necessary.

Cop:Hi, do you know why I stopped you?

You: Hi, No, what can I do for you?

Cop: You were speeding, do you know how fast you were going?

You: No.  Do you need my license and insurance?

Cop: You were doing 78 in a 65, are you in a hurry to get somewhere?

You: We're just visiting relatives, sorry.

And...never consent to any searches...ever.  Make 'em work for it.

Besides...you may not be going anyway if they evacuate the barrier islands.

You should familiarize yourself with this - Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA)...  As long as you package your firearms in the manner proscribed therein, you should be OK. What's also important is the route you travel.  Do your best to avoid the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel area and Wash. DC altogether.  The MD Transport Police use ALPR cameras to identify people who might be firearm owners. Look up the threads on here regarding Mr. John Filippidis like this one

If you have to come down I-95 or the NJ Turnpike, a good alternative would be to come down Maryland's Eastern Shore and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. After leaving the Del. Memorial Bridge (or I-495 if coming from the Wilmington side), follow I-95 onto Del 1 South (right where the Christina Mall and Cabela's is). Continue on Del 1 to Del 896 West.  Transfer there to US 301 South. Take US 301 South all the way through Del. and MD (watch speed as you cross the MD state line from Del).  This will merge, eventually with US-50. Continue across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and all the way on US-50 West to the Capital Beltway.  Get on the Capital Beltway South and re-join I-95 there.  

When I need to visit my family in Hunterdon County, I completely bypass all of that by going this route (leaving their house) -

I-77 will go through Charlotte NC. If it doesn't take you too far from your destinations, then I'd consider that. But if you're going directly to OBX, then use the "Eastern Shore" route above.

Stay Safe.

Yeah they are about 2 hours north of Wilmington if I recall  - we usually take what I call the "leisure route" which is 25 less miles than going I-95 down to Raleigh area and then 3.5 hours over to the coast which is the quickest method by time, but about 25 miles more - but all highway.  The leisure route is going over the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel and taking highway 17 among some other roads.  If traffic is favorable we always go the Eastern Shore route, but last time we went down there was that 1 day storm down there about a month ago so we went down 95 just to stay away from the coast while it was still storming.

Case them up, put them in the trunk and drive there.  Don't over think it. If stopped, don't volunteer that there are guns in the vehicle.  Coach anyone else in the car not to talk to the police.

You talk as little as is necessary.

Cop:Hi, do you know why I stopped you?

You: Hi, No, what can I do for you?

Cop: You were speeding, do you know how fast you were going?

You: No.  Do you need my license and insurance?

Cop: You were doing 78 in a 65, are you in a hurry to get somewhere?

You: We're just visiting relatives, sorry.

And...never consent to any searches...ever.  Make 'em work for it.

Besides...you may not be going anyway if they evacuate the barrier islands.

This is where I'm at pretty much - since I'm not staying in DC or Maryland I am "passing through" as my end destination, if I had to avoid the coast, I would just put in the trunk - plus, my 80 pound barking American Bulldog in the backseat will be enough of a nightmare to worry about if we get stopped by police - trust me we are always watching the speed lmao.

Trust me we don't stop in Maryland (with the Eastern Shore route thats never a problem anyway), and like I said everything will be in locked "containers" and not accessible to my wife or I, and obviously unloaded with no ammunition like I said - so I'm not too worried.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything besides locking my case/bag (since my wife has a wagon with no separate trunk), making sure unloaded and not in glovebox or center console - so we follow the "Safe Passage" provisions of FOPA

Yeah they are about 2 hours north of Wilmington if I recall  - we usually take what I call the "leisure route" which is 25 less miles than going I-95 down to Raleigh area and then 3.5 hours over to the coast which is the quickest method by time, but about 25 miles more - but all highway.  The leisure route is going over the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel and taking highway 17 among some other roads.  If traffic is favorable we always go the Eastern Shore route, but last time we went down there was that 1 day storm down there about a month ago so we went down 95 just to stay away from the coast while it was still storming.

This is where I'm at pretty much - since I'm not staying in DC or Maryland I am "passing through" as my end destination, if I had to avoid the coast, I would just put in the trunk - plus, my 80 pound barking American Bulldog in the backseat will be enough of a nightmare to worry about if we get stopped by police - trust me we are always watching the speed lmao.

Trust me we don't stop in Maryland (with the Eastern Shore route thats never a problem anyway), and like I said everything will be in locked "containers" and not accessible to my wife or I, and obviously unloaded with no ammunition like I said - so I'm not too worried.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything besides locking my case/bag (since my wife has a wagon with no separate trunk), making sure unloaded and not in glovebox or center console - so we follow the "Safe Passage" provisions of FOPA

I would take your ammunition.     I just did 500 miles with enough guns and ammo to outfit a couple fire teams and I didn't even have a second thought about it.   It was stored, in the trunk and most of it wasn't even loose ;)

In a wagon...cover it with a blanket.

• Like 1

I would take your ammunition.     I just did 500 miles with enough guns and ammo to outfit a couple fire teams and I didn't even have a second thought about it.   It was stored, in the trunk and most of it wasn't even loose ;)

In a wagon...cover it with a blanket.

Oh if it was just the 2 of us I probably would but we are going to be packed as is with the dogs -  I'm just gonna go to Wally World when I'm down there and feel like I live in a free state for the week and buy some Winchester White Box and a brick of 22 and be happier than a pig in shit LMAO - we pass by like 3 gun stores on the way to the island (they have a causeway similar to LBI) and a Wal-Mart -

Be careful with the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel.  Any route involving tunnels will probably incur extra scrutiny a la the Baltimore Harbor tunnels.  Otherwise, I think you're on the right track.

Ricky_Bobby:

HBecwithFn7 and Malsua made excellent points already that I agree with.

It just so happens that my wife and I will also be driving down to our beach house in the northern Outer Banks of NC, leaving early this Friday. (Thankfully, it appears that Hurricane Mathew is now forecasted to take a more easterly turn on Fri. evening and hopefully will not greatly impact the OBX in NC... - keeping our fingers crossed!)

FYI - we have been doing this drive from NJ to the OBX for over 20 years and enjoy taking the more scenic route, starting with crossing over the Delaware Memorial Bridge to a very short, yet congested stint on I-95 south leading to the Rt. 1 south bypass in Delaware , then exit just before Dover and get onto Rt. 13 south, taking that main North-South artery through DE and the eastern shore of both MD and VA, to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Norfolk, VA., where we take I-64 west to Rt. 168 south from VA into NC. At Barco, NC, we continue south on Rt. 158 that leads directly to the Wright Memorial Bridge that crosses the Currituck Sound onto the northern part of the Outer Banks.

Since we make this trip from our home in NJ through 4 additional states, (DE, MD, VA) to NC, many times with firearms, I do take all necessary precautions. Over the past 18 months, for additional legal protection, I applied for and have received my non-resident CCW permits from Utah, Florida and New Hampshire. Those non-resident CCW permits provide some additional peace of mind for when I am specifically transporting handguns, in addition to my rifle and shotgun. Also, in addition to these CCW cards, I always have my NJ FID card on me inside my wallet, just in case.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, you can do a search here on NJGF and will find a number of threads dedicated to transportation of firearms from NJ through other states and members have posted their experiences, advice and reference the current law.

As you are probably aware and as HBecwithFn7 stated, there is a provision of the federal gun law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA), that addresses and protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage. Under FOPA, aside from any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it. But FOPA stipulates that the firearm must be unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. FOPA states that any and all ammunition must also be in a locked container, other than the glove compartment or console and out of reach in the trunk or rear of a SUV.

I religiously do just that, using small steel cable TSA Travel Sentry approved combination locks for my gun cases, range bags and larger padlocks for my MTM ammo cans, making sure that all magazines are also unloaded. Since we drive our SUV for these trips, I put all locked firearms and ammo containers in the far back cargo area and put a blanket or beach towel to cover them and then pull the horizontal vinyl shade across and fasten it, to further conceal all cargo from view. The SUV's rear quarter windows and back window are heavily tinted so even close up visibility into the cargo area from outside is minimal. By doing all of this means that essentially, I would have to get out of the vehicle and go around to the rear, open the hatch and release and retract the horizontal shade to then allow access to the stored locked firearms/ammo containers, thus not making them “readily accessible” from inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Also, sometimes, we may stop during the road trip at a halfway point, to stay at a motel overnight and then continue the trip southward in the morning. I pack a small overnight bag which is in the back seat that I take into the motel for the evening. I just leave everything else, (guns/ammo), undisturbed in the back of the SUV, since I do not what to arouse any attention, curiosity or interest of other motel guests/workers by taking everything into and then out of our motel room. Since I started doing this, thankfully I have not had any problems or issues.

FYI – Here is the link to the NRA ILA guide to the interstate transportation of firearms that highlights the requirements of each Sate:

http://www.nraila.or...sportation.aspx

Finally, I purchase Winchester AA Supersport Sporting Clayshot gun shells in bulk at the large Walmart Superstore in Kitty Hawk, NC since I have found that they cost the least there, compared to online retailers, let alone NJ or PA retail stores. Plus, my experience at Walmart in NC, has been hassle-free for the purchase of any ammo, other than showing I am of legal age and sometimes they don't even ask for that...

I take all of these conservative and specific precautions to ensure that I am in compliance with not just the federal FOPA law, but the laws for each of the states we are traveling through, just to be safe. Hope this helps….

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

Malsua:

You may be right...

The last time we had a mandatory NC state ordered evacuation on the northern Outer Banks was in August 2011 due to the arrival of Hurricane Irene. We are prepared to do just that again, if necessary.

I hope and pray that residents in FL, GA and SC are not harmed by this powerful storm with the current 125-130 mph winds, torrential rain and storm surge, all combined may very well be devastating to the coastal structures and communities.

Yet, even if the Hurricane does turns east, its continued path after that is very hard to predict.

Here is the latest info from The Weather Channel:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-matthew-united-states-impacts

AVB-AMG

Be careful with the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel.  Any route involving tunnels will probably incur extra scrutiny a la the Baltimore Harbor tunnels.  Otherwise, I think you're on the right track.

Right on the track to paranoia.

Lock up your empty firearms so they are not visible. 

Become familiar with Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA)... 

And you guys that are going south this weekend may be whistling in the wind.

I was going home to SC on Friday and now delaying the trip for a week.

All the interstates are now outbound only and nobody know when they're going to let you back in.

Do your homework

• Like 1

Saw a video of that.   There were very few cars going the other way, but it was still 2 way at that time.

If the path doesn't change, I expect the seaboard from Norfolk to Miami will be evacuated and other roads will go contra flow as well.

Well at least I know what to do in the event of a future trip if ours gets scrapped this weekend LOL -

AVB-AMG, thanks for the detailed post!  I am working on my FL, UT, and NH CCW's as we speak but they are not issued yet - our trip from Bridgewater to my in-laws off Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach is approx 11 hours with stops, we usually just leave around 5 AM or so and drive through - we also have 15% windows tinted and like I said we have my 2 dogs in the backseat with the seats folded down so they might be within reach of my pups but not us during travel (the firearms) LOL

Hoping everyone is alright down there and your house in the OBX too! 

This is the latest, as of 8:00 a.m. Thursday morning, of the Costal Watches/Warnings and 5-Day Forecast Cone Map for Hurricane Matthew's Storm Center, from the National Oceaniac and Atmospheric Administraion (NOAA) - National Hurricane Center:

If this holds true, then the northern Outer Banks may very well have dodged a bullet....

Here is the link to this map and other interesting maps projecting both wind speeds and rain amounts:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl#contents

AVB-AMG

094542W5_NL_sm.gif

Well at least I know what to do in the event of a future trip if ours gets scrapped this weekend LOL -

AVB-AMG, thanks for the detailed post!  I am working on my FL, UT, and NH CCW's as we speak but they are not issued yet - our trip from Bridgewater to my in-laws off Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach is approx 11 hours with stops, we usually just leave around 5 AM or so and drive through - we also have 15% windows tinted and like I said we have my 2 dogs in the backseat with the seats folded down so they might be within reach of my pups but not us during travel (the firearms) LOL

Hoping everyone is alright down there and your house in the OBX too! 

Ricky_Bobby:

Thank you.  Good luck with your trip with your early start.

We plan to leave around 8:00 a.m. tomorrow and expect it to be approx. an 8 hour drive, that becomes a 9 hour trip when adding in stops for lunch and refueling.

We hope to be settled in before the rain starts early Saturday morning.  But at this point, knock on wood..., Hurricane Mathew does not look like it will be impacting the Outer Banks, just yet.

My concern is for, in addition to the coastal residents of FL, GA and SC, what the hurricane's ultimate path will take once it heads east or south east.  Will it do a 180 deg. turn or 360 deg circle and hit FL again and then continue up the eastern seaboard?  Who knows....  Stay tuned and safe!

AVB-AMG

How much time does this add to the trip to FL compared with just going down 95??

How much time does this add to the trip to FL compared with just going down 95??

It's only a 45 mile difference in terms of distance (vs. going down the Eastern Shore route and onto the Capital Beltway to I-95). In re: time, I really can't say because that depends a lot on traffic and construction conditions, etc.  And there's usually a lot on both routes.  I'd say it pretty much evens out in re: time.

Ricky_Bobby:

Thank you.  Good luck with your trip with your early start.

We plan to leave around 8:00 a.m. tomorrow and expect it to be approx. an 8 hour drive, that becomes a 9 hour trip when adding in stops for lunch and refueling.

We hope to be settled in before the rain starts early Saturday morning.  But at this point, knock on wood..., Hurricane Mathew does not look like it will be impacting the Outer Banks, just yet.

My concern is for, in addition to the coastal residents of FL, GA and SC, what the hurricane's ultimate path will take once it heads east or south east.  Will it do a 180 deg. turn or 360 deg circle and hit FL again and then continue up the eastern seaboard?  Who knows....  Stay tuned and safe!

AVB-AMG

I was wondering the exact same thing!  I see its going to loop around back towards Florida, is it possible it could do a "double hit"?  And we'd have the same conversation a week from now if it strengthened back up again?  So unpredictable.

Your drive is much nicer and shorter than ours, my in-laws are pretty far south on the OBX - an 8 hour ride is a breeze compared to the approx 11 that we do, including about 2-3 stops for bathroom, snacks and stretching, and a fuel stop (only one needed with my wifes VW diesel) - but you're right doing the Eastern shore and Chesapeake is a much nicer ride

Not sure if you mentioned this, but I actually like doing 113 through Delaware and into Maryland as opposed to Route 13 which is where most GPS takes you since its straight through the middle - 113 heads out towards the coast a bit but its much faster and you are always moving, whereas Route 13 tends to get slower in spots and major towns - you also avoid a few major towns in MD when first getting in, IIRC - I have to look at my map again.

Right on the track to paranoia.

Lock up your empty firearms so they are not visible. 

Become familiar with Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA)... 

And you guys that are going south this weekend may be whistling in the wind.

I was going home to SC on Friday and now delaying the trip for a week.

All the interstates are now outbound only and nobody know when they're going to let you back in.

Do your homework

Mandatory evacuation in my neck of the woods too. 

They also opened up a new indoor range in grandy across the bridge.. The gun shack....

Love it down there, my in laws also live down there so I spend the whole summer down there.