RedRiverII

357 sig

Well, Maks like many of us get bored and move things around.

That being said, it's perfectly fine in the aluminum frame. I have had a p229 in 357 sig and shot it frequently. I really like the round but when I decided to downsize the amount of calibers I shoot, it got the boot. I think the round is a better defensive round over 40 s&w but the ammo is more expensive.

Sig makes a stainless version of the p226, p229 and I believe they are making a 1911 in the caliber also. The stainless will accomdate your want/ need of a steel frame.

I have a Sig SP2340 and a Glock 31 in .357sig. I really like the round. I decided on it based on the premise that they designed it to closely emulate the .357 Magnum 125gr round, which is well proven in the field. It is currently my HD choice using Corbon PowRball.

It seems there is a controversy as usual over the round, as looking at the numbers it is difficult to quantify. From my research , it appears there is some type of hystrostatic shock in the target going on that contributes to the round's ability to incapacitate. This is beyond the direct tissue/bone damage and wound channel. Hydrostatic pressures are greatly affected by velocity, like those created by the .357sig and .357mag 125gr.

Sig does not make any of their steel classic P-series in .357 Sig anymore. They made an all stainless P229 Sport in that caliber some time ago, which you may be able to find in the secondary market and the P226 Stainless (not Elite) was also available in .357 Sig. The 1911 Nightmare Bobtail is vaporware at this point - another in a long line of Sig's famous Vapor line of firearms :rolleyes:

Being that the .357 Sig is pretty much strictly a SD caliber, it is generally more desireable in a lighter gun suitable for carry. Nothing wrong with an alloy frame.

Good luck in your search.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've never had a 357 Sig. By all accounts it is a nice, effective round, but I have never bothered for several reasons. One, it's a "fringe" round- not in high production. Second it's expensive relative to other suitable pistol calibers. Third, it's a necked cartridge which means additional effort in reloading. AND if we ever get to SHTF, you'll have a hell of a time scrounging some 357 Sig.

As good as the round may be, the plusses don't outweigh the minus for me. If you are interested in training with your piece, you'll want to shoot it a lot and that's expensive with the 357 Sig. What's the point?

Now if you want it just to have it, go for it!!! I'm all for filling your safe with things that interest you.

I agree Bob, on the premise that 357sig is primarily a SD round. I do have a good stash of practice ammo for it, and do practice with it since it is my HD gun round, but it is definitely not my go-to fun gunning or gun game round of choice by any means.

I have no experience shooting this round, but I have been at the cash register when someone was buying them. I think the rounds cost about $25 a box.

I've never seen .357 Sig rounds available at Dicks or Wal Mart in PA or on sale.

Look, there is a reason why people buy Ferraris, but a Ferrari will never sell the volume of a Honda Accord. There is a reason why the Secret Service and Air Marshals use the round - you basically have a 9mm equivalent of Jessie Owens with the capacity of a .40 cal. You can also switch out the barrels and have a very potent .40 caliber handgun. But cops have the money to buy boutique rounds, most of us don't.

IMHO, if you want to own a gun chambered in .357 Sig, do it. Take it to the range once a year and show it to your friends and tell them that it's what the Air Marshals use. Watch it punch through multiple layers of wood at the range and hit targets 50 yards away with ease. But when you are practicing alone, drop the .40 caliber barrel in: it's cheaper and a better round for what you are more likely to do with it (put holes in paper).

I've said it before. Life is too short to shoot guns that you only like. If a .357 Sig gun will make you happy, do it. But get the .40 caliber conversion barrel so you can be happy and cost effective.

I had a P226 Elite in 357 Sig. Its a great caliber but did not shoot it much b/c of the cost and I was too lazy to start reloading for it. That Sig also had 9mm and 40SW barrels and they were used more frequently.

Currently I have a Glock 32 in 357 sig and a couple 1911s so I still enjoy shooting the cartridge.

I believe Maks had a pistol chambered in that (at one time).

Nope, I am the 45 gap guy, not 357 Sig.

It is a great caliber. Effectively a 40 s&w pushing a 9 mm projectile.

Sig is the only steel one iirc that you can easily get here. The other one to look into is the eaa witness line of guns.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Iirc, someone was making a 1911 in 357 Sig.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Its SIG ,the Nightmare Fastback 1911 both full size and carry specify they come in 357 Sig

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-nightmare.aspx

Pretty cool round. Its like a 9mm magnum. Very fast and loud. I tried to buy a M&P 357C, but found none in stock anywhere, and later found out M&P discountinued the 357sig line. That, and the prices of the ammo were enough to make change my mind about buying one. Although, I still find myself drawn to the Glock 33 Gen4.

Its SIG ,the Nightmare Fastback 1911 both full size and carry specify they come in 357 Sig

http://www.sigsauer....-nightmare.aspx

I'll repeat myself (see post #6) - the Sig Nightmare, even though it's shown on their website, is vaporware.

I'll repeat myself (see post #6) - the Sig Nightmare, even though it's shown on their website, is vaporware.

Saw the post....now :(

For a moment i forgot it was Sig, the world famous maker of Guns in the 80s and 90s and a producer of hype and vapor in the new century. ........

They did produce the Diamond plate line which was not vapor but should have been.

Rounds locally are $25-$30 a box but I don't find it that expensive. I've got over 1000rds of it in fmj I paid an average of $17 a box for. And 1000 Speer gold dots I got for $20 a box. Normally $26ish a box of 50 for them though. So I don't find it any more expensive than 45 but like shooting it more than 45. Just find any all steel sig 40 and swap barrels. I'm happy with my standard p229r srt though. No need for all steel here

I have a P229 in 357sig w/ a .40 conversion barrel.

It feels like a +p 9mm but is louder than a .40. IMO

I rarely shoot it in 357 and only have about 100 practice rounds left. Its only slightly more expensive than .40 when you buy online it seems. I just have other pistols in .40 so its pointless for me to buy 357 by itself.

I have a P229 in 357sig w/ a .40 conversion barrel.

It feels like a +p 9mm but is louder than a .40. IMO

I rarely shoot it in 357 and only have about 100 practice rounds left. Its only slightly more expensive than .40 when you buy online it seems. I just have other pistols in .40 so its pointless for me to buy 357 by itself.

. I refused to buy 40 when I found out it was developed when babies cried about the 10mm being too much. I refuse to support the pussification of the firearms industry. Next thing we will have useless trigger locks on our revolvers!

Was BS'ing with some of the Homeland Security guys at Penn Station while waiting for a Post-Hurricane Sandy train. Asked 'em if they had to use the 12 lb triggers - their reply "Thank gawd, no". Found out they're using .357 Sig also.

. Friend in Paramus pd uses it as well. But thinks they might switch to the glock 40 soon

I have also given some thought and read a lot about this round.

There was a pix on the defensivecarry forum from a member there that had a ND and shot himself in the leg with a 357 sig hollow point.

I m already thinking about getting a conversion barell for my G20 now.