silverado427

Price of gas

38 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

The recent drop in prices almost feels like the moments leading into a tsunami where the water does a big retreat first.

the little hairs are awake.

There are a LOT of people who are "unnecessarily" road hot.   They go to the store, go home, go to the next store, go home, on and on.   Nothing is done with efficiency in mind because they're used to the current price.

When we had the last huge spike all these people started getting super efficient with their driving and the demand drops fairly quickly.

The strategic reserved was built to prevent Opec from choking us off again, but we make enough for ourselves now.  Brandon emptied the thing, but I think they've started to fill it again so it can be used to smooth out any big supply issues.

I was in Greece a few months ago and fuel was right at 2 euros/liter.  That's right about $8/gallon.  Traffic was still ever present, they've just been in the boiling pot longer than we have.

55 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

The recent drop in prices almost feels like the moments leading into a tsunami where the water does a big retreat first.

the little hairs are awake.

There is definitely some price fixing going on.  Previously, any time a mouse farted in the middle east, prices skyrocketed, here we have the most significant event in a half century and prices are going down. 

If only we could buy gas cheap and stack it deep.

5 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you think gas prices are near lows or expect it to higher in the near future you can purchase UGA (United States Gasoline Fund).

While you can't fill up your tank at a discount you can profit off an increase in gasoline prices thus offsetting some of the rise in gasoline prices.

If you know you have a large gasoline expense coming up, suck as a summer road trip next year, and you think gas prices will be more expensive next summer then you could use UGA to hedge against rising gasoline prices.   You could estimate how much gas you think you'll be using for your trip next year, purchase that dollar amuount of UGA now and in seveal months sell UGA.  If you were correct and gas prices went up then your investement would have increased by approximately the percentage rise in gasoline prices.  If you are wrong you'll lose money.

On 11/5/2023 at 7:28 AM, Scorpio64 said:

There is definitely some price fixing going on.  Previously, any time a mouse farted in the middle east, prices skyrocketed, here we have the most significant event in a half century and prices are going down. 

The U.S. is less dependent on Middle East oil than in 2008 and is pumping record amounts of around 13 million bbl per day, (could be 15 million BPD  if the Biden thing wasn't president).

Plus, there are big off shore oil plays coming online in Guyana, the U.S has lifted sanctions on Venezuela oil, demand is down, etc. OPEC doesn't have the same pricing power it once had.    

On 11/5/2023 at 7:28 AM, Scorpio64 said:

gas doesn't hold anymore. i keep 20 gallons in the garage. i rotate it every 6 months

10 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Not even with STA-BIL?

I think with Sta-Bil, one can only hope for about 18 months of storage if the conditions are absolutely ideal.  Even at that, gasoline will still degrade and loose some of its potential for energy.  ie lets say you normally get 25mpg with fresh gas, 18 month old gas with Sta-Bil may only give you 20mpg.  Still, better than nothing.

The best use for Sta-Bil is prep for over winter storage of small engines.  It keeps carbs from getting gacked up with the gelatinous goo caused by the ethanol soaking up water.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

The best use for Sta-Bil is prep for over winter storage of small engines.  It keeps carbs from getting gacked up with the gelatinous goo caused by the ethanol soaking up water.

I probably should but I've never done any winter gas prep with my outdoor yard equipment.

Never had any issues but it's only from Nov to late April. Generator on the other hand gets marine Sta-Bil in the fuel.  

On 11/23/2023 at 8:09 AM, Xtors said:

Not even with STA-BIL?

i tried using that shiit about 10 years ago. it's why i now have 2 snowblowers instead of one. the dam thing wouldn't start. i followed the directions on the bottle when i "mothballed" that blower for the summer. when i couldn't get it running, i ran out and bought another, because i wasn't really able to shovel. was gonna scrap the first one. couldn't make myself do that, so i brought it to the shop, and pulled the carb off. the thing was totally clogged. every single passage was gummed up. i pulled it apart, soaked it, used my torch-tip cleaners to run through the passages, and it runs, although i still didn't get it quite right. i need to leave the choke slightly applied for it to run right. i learned my lesson after that. i just rotate the gas now. things that're gonna get mothballed get run dry. haven't had an issue since.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:18 AM, Scorpio64 said:

I think with Sta-Bil, one can only hope for about 18 months of storage if the conditions are absolutely ideal.  Even at that, gasoline will still degrade and loose some of its potential for energy.  ie lets say you normally get 25mpg with fresh gas, 18 month old gas with Sta-Bil may only give you 20mpg.  Still, better than nothing.

see above.