TacticalLawyer

What is your lead mitigation protocol?

Just wondering if I'm going a bit overboard with my lead mitigation protocol. Basically, I try to keep everything range-related completely segregated from my non-range stuff (except my HD firearms which are in a safe in my bedroom). So I have separate range clothes, shoes, etc. which I keep in my garage. Before I go to the range, I get undressed in my room, and head down to the basement/garage level and put on my range outfit, get my range bag/guns and put on my "intermediate" shoes, which I use just to get from my basement out to my car and to the range. Once at the range, I switch to my range shoes. After shooting, I wash my hands at the range thoroughly, then go back to my car but switch back into my "intermediate" shoes before getting in. I also have a clean hoodie that I put on over my long sleeve range shirt, and lay down a towel on the seat. When I get home, I go straight to the garage/basement level, take off all my range clothes, put them in a separate laundry bag, and take a shower on the same level with de-lead shampoo and bodywash. Once a month or so I take all my range laundry to a laundromat where I wash everything with de-lead detergent. 

Friend told me today I may be going overboard - what do you guys think, and what do you do? One important consideration is that I have little kids at home and don't want to inadvertently give them lead poisoning!

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

37 minutes ago, TacticalLawyer said:

Just wondering if I'm going a bit overboard with my lead mitigation protocol. Basically, I try to keep everything range-related completely segregated from my non-range stuff (except my HD firearms which are in a safe in my bedroom). So I have separate range clothes, shoes, etc. which I keep in my garage. Before I go to the range, I get undressed in my room, and head down to the basement/garage level and put on my range outfit, get my range bag/guns and put on my "intermediate" shoes, which I use just to get from my basement out to my car and to the range. Once at the range, I switch to my range shoes. After shooting, I wash my hands at the range thoroughly, then go back to my car but switch back into my "intermediate" shoes before getting in. I also have a clean hoodie that I put on over my long sleeve range shirt, and lay down a towel on the seat. When I get home, I go straight to the garage/basement level, take off all my range clothes, put them in a separate laundry bag, and take a shower on the same level with de-lead shampoo and bodywash. Once a month or so I take all my range laundry to a laundromat where I wash everything with de-lead detergent. 

Friend told me today I may be going overboard - what do you guys think, and what do you do? One important consideration is that I have little kids at home and don't want to inadvertently give them lead poisoning!

I notice that all the manuals to all my guns warn against discharging and cleaning firearms in poorly ventilated locations, and say to wash your hands thoroughly after exposure. I make sure to at least do those two things - clean or shoot in a place with good ventilation, and wash hands - and I feel that doing so will mitigate 90% of any lead problem.
I have heard of more severe protocols, though. Have you noticed how at Gun for Hire (and maybe other ranges too) the floor in that vestibule/airlock area between the range and the outside of the range has a sticky pad on it? A trainer told me that you should make sure to walk over it on your way out because it helps pull lead off your shoes. And I have seen signs at training facilities that recommend doing all the stuff you say you are doing, keep clothes separate, etc.

1 hour ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

I notice that all the manuals to all my guns warn against discharging and cleaning firearms in poorly ventilated locations, and say to wash your hands thoroughly after exposure. I make sure to at least do those two things - clean or shoot in a place with good ventilation, and wash hands - and I feel that doing so will mitigate 90% of any lead problem.
I have heard of more severe protocols, though. Have you noticed how at Gun for Hire (and maybe other ranges too) the floor in that vestibule/airlock area between the range and the outside of the range has a sticky pad on it? A trainer told me that you should make sure to walk over it on your way out because it helps pull lead off your shoes. And I have seen signs at training facilities that recommend doing all the stuff you say you are doing, keep clothes separate, etc.

I suspect the warning regarding cleaning in poorly ventilated areas has a lot more to do with solvent vapors than lead...

Also, I'm pretty sure that nearly all of the negative health effects of lead result from either ingestion or inhalation. While skin absorption is probably possible, I think the lead would need to be very finely powdered, or otherwise modified for better absorption, and contact would need to be for an extended period. I was a tire and front end mechanic for several years, and I handled lead wheel balancing weights constantly with no precautions or apparent ill effects (my quirks appear to be largely hereditary ;-)

I sincerely applaud your efforts, especially having little ones in the house. Since I only shoot a few hundred rounds in a (hopefully) well-ventilated range every month or so, I'm good with a thorough hand wash with the D-lead soap before leaving the range and try not to pick my nose on the drive home. I do wear latex gloves when cleaning the guns afterwards.

1 hour ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

Have you noticed how at Gun for Hire (and maybe other ranges too) the floor in that vestibule/airlock area between the range and the outside of the range has a sticky pad on it? A trainer told me that you should make sure to walk over it on your way out because it helps pull lead off your shoes. 

Those are a good idea.  Since I often shoot at ranges that don't have them, when I leave the range I always find a patch of lawn and shuffle my feet across it for 10 feet or so before getting in my car.

Do what makes you comfortable. I have a fair amount of lead exposure (daily) and I consider washing my hands thoroughly post exposure adequate. It probably isn’t, but I don’t have a ton of time to dedicate towards decontamination. Whatever amount of lead is on my clothes stays with me, because there is no procedure there until they get into the wash machine. That being said, they are washed separately.

It is my (oversimplified) understanding that inhaling/ ingesting lead are the two main culprits. Assuming your range has proper ventilation, you use de-lead wipes, soaps, etc… I would say you are pretty safe. The changing of shoes/ clothes is also probably pretty good, but why not just wear a long sleeve shirt over a t-shirt and basketball shorts so you can remove your outer layers completely before entering your vehicle?

I would like to know the volume of shooting it actually takes (and how bad the ventilation must be) for someone to absorb unacceptable levels of lead. I’m not sure how often or how much you shoot, so this could be over doing it? See my first line, though. If you are happy doing this, then it has value for you. No one can really tell you you’re wrong.

I’m a bit more inclined to believe that if you aren’t doing cardio, heart disease will get you before the lead.

7 hours ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

I never noticed, but will look out for that next time I'm there! 

I can understand your aversion to lead exposure. I work at a gun shop that until recently had a busy indoor range.

I am surrounded by guns and ammo daily and I fired guns several times a week. After shooting, I use D-Lead soap or wipes on my hands and face, then wash hands and face with soap and water. I shower when I get home from work.

May I suggest you have your doctor add a lead test to your annual bloodwork lab.

My most recent test showed only slightly elevated lead levels, nothing my doctor was concerned with.

Okay I waa a police firearms instructor for ove 30 years. We used to get lead exposure tests periodically. Always okay.

Your regimenn is excessive.  Back off.  I used to run a firingline.  Indoor and outdoor range. Used to drink my coffee running the qualification line. If I was shooting I'd wash my hands.

You're doing too much.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

It would be interesting to see some science on this, instead of having to rely on speculation.

I think lead exposure is a concern, but I don't believe it's critical.  I always wash my hands thoroughly after shooting, preferably with D-lead soap, and throw my shirt in the laundry when I get home.  I think the suggestion of getting ones lead levels tested is a good idea. 

There's no overboard with safety. It's good you consider it, but there does come a point of diminishing returns.

I also have small kids at home. Here's my routine:

• Reloaderz has the delead soap. I use that until my hands are squeaky clean. It's also good to use the sticky pad for feet.
  • My outer layer (sweater, hoodie, etc.) comes off when I come home. I wash my hands again before I touch my kids.
    • I always wear a hat. That's my range hat: it stays near my guns.
  • It's a very good idea to take a shower if you have time.
  • I don't wear shoes in the house, so whatever.
  • All my gun stuff is in a separate area that the kids cannot access. This includes cleaning supplies.
  • I clean my guns wearing gloves with the windows open.
  • If I'm handling ammunition, I wash my hands before doing anything else.

I do not clean my guns in the same general spot that I store live ammunition. ventilation is crucial because solvents STINK to high heaven. If I don't open the windows my wife will tell me she can smell it all the way to the top floor.

I'm honestly more concerned with lead in food and water than I am from my range trips. Just don't be needlessly careless, it's not an infectious disease.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:05 PM, TacticalLawyer said:

How often do you shoot?

Do you reload your own ammo?

Short answer is yes, you're going too far in your lead mitigation efforts.  With that said, they're not causing you any harm, so if they give you peace of mind, rock on...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

There's no overboard with safety. It's good you consider it, but there does come a point of diminishing returns.

I also have small kids at home. Here's my routine:

• Reloaderz has the delead soap. I use that until my hands are squeaky clean. It's also good to use the sticky pad for feet.
  • My outer layer (sweater, hoodie, etc.) comes off when I come home. I wash my hands again before I touch my kids.
    • I always wear a hat. That's my range hat: it stays near my guns.
  • It's a very good idea to take a shower if you have time.
  • I don't wear shoes in the house, so whatever.
  • All my gun stuff is in a separate area that the kids cannot access. This includes cleaning supplies.
  • I clean my guns wearing gloves with the windows open.
  • If I'm handling ammunition, I wash my hands before doing anything else.

I do not clean my guns in the same general spot that I store live ammunition. ventilation is crucial because solvents STINK to high heaven. If I don't open the windows my wife will tell me she can smell it all the way to the top floor.

I'm honestly more concerned with lead in food and water than I am from my range trips. Just don't be needlessly careless, it's not an infectious disease.

Do you wear an exposure suit and 2 life jackets when you go kayaking?  Do you wear body armor at the range?  Do you have a roll cage in your car?

I'm not blowing this lead contamination off.  I think some people do too much.

WWJD?

What would Jerry Miculek do?

He's 69 and has shot more this year than many of us will shoot in our entirety of living. 

I wash up a bit after the range and clean guns with gloves on. No shoes in the house. That's about it. 

But I agree with @124gr9mm if your procedure gives you peace of mind then go for it. 

Truth be told, being in aviation, between handling leaded gasoline (100 "Low Lead") and some of the chemicals we use at work, the lead I pick up from my range trip is the least of my worries. Though as one poster noted, if I had children I might take more extensive precautions. About the only thing I do is try to keep the range garments separate from the rest of my stuff (unless it's been through a wash cycle beforehand) so as not to risk cross contamination.

14 hours ago, planenut said:

Truth be told, being in aviation, between handling leaded gasoline (100 "Low Lead") and some of the chemicals we use at work, the lead I pick up from my range trip is the least of my worries. Though as one poster noted, if I had children I might take more extensive precautions. About the only thing I do is try to keep the range garments separate from the rest of my stuff (unless it's been through a wash cycle beforehand) so as not to risk cross contamination.

Have you ever had your blood lead level tested?

I would presume you're result would be a little higher than 'normal' range.