jgofnj

Shooting in the basement

Ok, not sure if this is a dumb question or not, so I figured I would ask here.

Brand new gun owner, bought a .22 pistol (Browning Buckmark Camper) - BTW - I LOVE THIS GUN.

I know I need to go to the range to shoot a few hundred rounds, but if I wanted to shoot just a few rounds (say 10-20 rounds) just for the heck of it. Is there any reason why I can't just buy this box and use it in my unfinished basement (where it is completely safe). There is nothing in this part of the basement other than the furnace and the concrete walls. I would of course have my eye and ear protection gear on. As far as ventilation goes, I am not looking to shot more than 10-20 rounds in a single day. I also don't intent to shot anything more than just a .22 (I don't have anything else to shoot with anyway). I would only do this when I am the only one home (2 teenage kids and a wife at home). Probably just once a week.

This is very tempting since the closest range is 50 minutes away.

Buy some CB caps. I wouldn't want to shoot standard Long Rifle in my basement even if the did all make it into the trap.

Probably won't cycle the action but your neighbors won't think you're shooting someone either.

I did a video about the noise levels.

I can understand about shooting outside (I don't have enough room on my property, too close to the neighbors).

But I never thought about that for the inside - good point.

Glad I asked. I could just picture the response on the popo's face when I ask.

Get an airsoft pistol. There is some great models with metallic slide and blow back action. Even some working replicas of glock, beretta, pps, 1911... Lots of fun!

And you don't need a pistol permit for it :)

With concrete walls and floor, If you missed the box, I would think you'd have to worry about riccochets.

What about the ceiling? This is typically plywood. I don't think I'd take the risk of accidentally putting a bullet into living space.

If I shoot in my house, it's gonna be because of an emergency not a convenience.

Get an airsoft pistol. There is some great models with metallic slide and blow back action. Even some working replicas of glock, beretta, pps, 1911... Lots of fun!

Seconded. I built a trap for my MP5 airsoft gun out of cardboard and old magazines, and shoot njgf targets with it on occasion.

Can I buy your guns? You should sell them all to me. That way, when your neighbor calls the cops and the JBTs show up to confiscate all your guns, you'll only be out on the one you were using for target practice at the time. Might want to leave the dogs at a friend's house too, they usually get shot when they storm the house.

+1 I have tons of airsoft stuff including blow back pistols and SMGs.

I know someone who built a single lane in their basement. 2 rows of cinderblocks for the lane walls and has a rubber chips at the end. He does have a very long basement so it worked out well. He uses an old range hood as his ventilation which blows air outside...even has a light.

In a normal situation, I guess neighbors would be an issue but his nearest neighbor is accross a pond so it's all good.