AdamaSys

EDC Knives

Hi guys,

First off, if there is already a thread along the lines of this, I apologize and ask that this one be closed. In my brief search prior to posting this, though, I didn't find anything too similar.

I've done a lot of research into New Jersey knife laws and at this point I know them almost word for word. But, like anyone else who has read them or at least knows a bit about how things like this work in New Jersey, I have some remaining concerns about what is acceptable to carry. Of course, "acceptable" is largely up to the discretion of law enforcement officers, so rather than ask that question or ask someone to clarify the laws for me, I'll simply ask what you carry on a daily basis and ask for your advice on the most sensible way to carry it.

If you carry a knife and care to offer your input, please state the brand and model of the knives you carry and/or some basic specs including: Fixed blade or folder, blade length/type, overall length, opening/locking mechanism (assisted, butterfly, etc.), style of carry (pocket, leg holster, belt, etc.). Please also include what you mainly use your knives for and where, if you've used them in a self defense situation, and if you've encountered any trouble for carrying them.

From all this I hope to get a better understanding of what to carry in what situations as well as what to avoid. At the very least, I hope this discussion will lead to some information being shared among people who might be curious about the same things or just looking around for a knife that has served others well.

At the moment I do not carry knives, but I own a few for outdoor use. My main three include a SOG Flash II (assisted, half-serrated), Buck PBS Crosslock, and an ESEE Izula. The Flash and the Izula would probably be well suited for EDC, but I'm not sure how LE would look at an assisted folder. The Izula would also serve as an excellent neck knife, but certainly could not be passed off as a simple pocket knife because it is a fixed blade.

All input is appreciated.

Edit: I just realized a posted this in the wrong section. Please move this to Bucket 3. The word "general" was in both sections and I mistakenly clicked the wrong one. My apologies.

Benchmade McHenry Williams Model 710, I carry it almost everywhere I go. I got it 7 years ago and love it, electrocuted the tip off of the blade and benchmade replaced the blade with a new D2 blade free of charge. I have a Benchmade auto and actually do like the axis system much better because of the ease of closing with just the snap of the wrist.

Define "Everyday Carry"

Everyday carry for a tactical Nutnfancy sheepdog looking for the latest and greatest knife for CQC?

Or everyday carry for a level headed person looking to clean their fingernails, open bottles, yank out a splinter, cut a twistie tie?

Leatherman Multi-Tool is hard to beat for all around use IMO

I used to carry a Ka-bar fin with semi curved "hawk bill" blade, was excellent for opening packing material, shrink wrap, etc. at the old job.

Define "Everyday Carry"

Everyday carry for a tactical Nutnfancy sheepdog looking for the latest and greatest knife for CQC?

Or everyday carry for a level headed person looking to clean their fingernails, open bottles, yank out a splinter, cut a twistie tie?

Leatherman Multi-Tool is hard to beat for all around use IMO

I used to carry a Ka-bar fin with semi curved "hawk bill" blade, was excellent for opening packing material, shrink wrap, etc. at the old job.

Personally I think Nutnfancy is a moron. He spends more time rambling than providing information - and the information he does provide is nothing I couldn't learn from a few minutes of reading elsewhere. His obsession with "tacticool" is ridiculous. So, the second one. I agree that multitools are extremely useful and probably do beat knives in most true "everyday" situations, but restricting your options to blades, is there anything in particular you'd look for besides that blade style?

I carry a knife everywhere. If I absolutely had to leave my house with only ONE thing other than clothes and shoes, it would be my knife. I feel naked without my knife, just as many teenagers feel naked without their cell phone. However since I carry it everyday, they tend to either get lost or misplaced, broken tips or chipped blades, bent clips. So I tend to buy knives that arent terribly expensive. I carry it clipped to the inside of my pocket. I went through a couple Buck folding knives, now I have a S&W First Response. It has a window punch on the bottom of the handle, and a small hook blade in the handle for cutting seat belts. The blade is very sharp, and it cost like ~$25. It is DEFINITELY my favorite knife so far.

SW_SWFR_lg.jpg

Personally I think Nutnfancy is a moron. He spends more time rambling than providing information - and the information he does provide is nothing I couldn't learn from a few minutes of reading elsewhere. His obsession with "tacticool" is ridiculous. So, the second one. I agree that multitools are extremely useful and probably do beat knives in most true "everyday" situations, but restricting your options to blades, is there anything in particular you'd look for besides that blade style?

I agree he is annoying with his rambling. I just mute his videos and watch them shoot. For EDC I carry a Kershaw Scallion. It is small, sharp and easy to open. The blade length is 2.25". You can find them cheap online for around $25. For me I think it is more logical to carry a folder over a fixed blade for EDC.

Kershaw-Scallion-1620FL-350x350.gif

EDC I have my Gerber E-Z Out in a knife sheath on my belt. It's a folding knife, 3.5" that I can open with 1 hand. Never had to pull it out for any self defense situations (*knocks on wood*), and I've never had any issues while carrying it.

They don't make the model I have anymore - I've carried it on me for over 10 years.

They do have the E-Z Out Skeleton now though.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/203

06701-1.jpg

KA-BAR Dozier Folding Hunter Knife 3" AUS 8A Stainless Steel Drop Point Blade Black Zytel Handle Black

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=318864

318864.jpg

I threw one in my Midway Order for $20 and found out its actually a really nice basic EDC knife. I carry it in my waist band where my gun would be if this was America.

It's getting dull and has a few chips in it, it may be time to order another one soon.

Excellent topic sir.

When I'm working I carry 2 knives.

The first being a cheapo NRA or Buck (Bucklite) knife that I use for anything. Cutting boxes, sheetrock, scrapping gum, skinning wire, or whatever else needs to get done.

The second is for personal protection. Being as these are little more expensive, I don't use them for anything BUT defense. My 2 favorites now are a Ka-Bar folder and a Cuda ATS-34 (left handed). I also carry a S&W Performance Center folder but that's more of a looker than a cutter.

I always have at least one knife with me. Like RayRay I would carry a "do anything" knife and then another that was reserved for SD. This would be when I wore jeans. The do-anything was a Spyderco Cricket and the SD knife, which really could be termed a BBQ knife, is an Elishewitz Pharaoh, that was among the last ones that he did on a Built-to-Order basis. It doesn't get used much, just carried. Titanium and carbon fiber with a Damasteel blade...

elishewitzcomposite.jpg

For casual or dress-up dress, I carry a William Henry Carbon Fiber knife. Only weighs an ounce. Terrific knife.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

for the last few years I have carried two Benchmade 530s, Mel Pardue designed knife w/ combo edge. I lost the first one about a year ago and replaced it instantly with another. Extremely light weight, sharp and durable. I would not make an work knife out of it... blade is a little thin for heavy duty work, but works fine for my life right now.

When i deploy for disaster relief work I carry a Boker Plus M type, as the work is a little more heavy duty.

However since I carry it everyday, they tend to either get lost or misplaced, broken tips or chipped blades, bent clips. So I tend to buy knives that arent terribly expensive.

This is an interesting point, and I agree completely. When I initially started collecting knives, I always looked for the very best blade steels and tended to settle on expensive knives. In my experience with outdoor work and camping, though, it seems most knives, regardless of cost and advanced features, are capable of handling common tasks. Some might disagree with that statement, but from what I've seen, the best isn't usually necessary.

My Flash II is made with AUS8 steel which is inferior to other steels, and despite a couple small chips, it's still in acceptable condition after 2 years.

I've been hunting for the perfect EDC for a longg time. I'm REALLY pumped for the new ESEE Izula folder. It looks like it won't be out for a while, but I like the size, blade, handles.. it's like my ideal utility blade.

izula_folder.jpg

It is a nice looking knife but it is gonna cost an arm and a leg.

I have just a simple Buck folder with a serrated portion. Cost me like $15. I can open it with one hand. I keep it pretty sharp and always have it with me. like a previous poster said - I feel naked without it. I got it with SD in mind, but it's mostly used for cutting up fruit for the kids if we're out somewhere. For boxes, wires & the like, I have one of those folding box cutters with the replaceable razor. That one I only carry when I go to work.

I've been hunting for the perfect EDC for a longg time. I'm REALLY pumped for the new ESEE Izula folder. It looks like it won't be out for a while, but I like the size, blade, handles.. it's like my ideal utility blade.

As long as the quality of the product hasn't changed with the name (they used to be R.A.T Cutlery), it should be a good knife. I have a fixed blade RAT RC-3 (not for EDC) and it's a very good knife for the price.

It'll be a great knife. Only their name has changed, not the products.

It's interesting that they switched to D2 instead of the usual 1095 steel for the folder version. The only thing missing (for me) is an assist mechanism. Once you get used to spring assist, it's hard to get away from. Other than that, this knife should have everything that makes the Izula so great. An excellent EDC knife indeed.

My close friend got arrested for DUI (He's usually not that stupid) and had his pocket knife (Small 2.5" Cheapo folder) unofficially confiscated.

The knife was 100% unrelated to the offense he was charged with, but at under $10 it wasn't worth even mentioning.

IMO, in accordance with the written law, it shouldn't have been confiscated, just returned with everything else when he was released. But I'm not a lawyer, so take it for what it's worth.

I've got a spyderco byrd finch that I've had for a few months. It's pretty small; blade's only about 2 inches and I think it's only like 4 inches overall, but it is great for whenever I need to use it. Pretty sharp right out of the box.

Here's another question..

Has anyone ever gotten in trouble or have had their EDC confiscated? If so, what type of knife was it?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what exactly is "legal" to carry and what isn't...

Honestly it all comes down to the officer. I ride street BMX and the stuff we do technically isn't "legal". So the cops always come over to us and ask us what we are doing. Always have my knife clipped on my right front pocket. So far there hasn't been any problems.