dpas1973

Denied buying a gun

The DMV on Summit Ave in Jersey City is a welfare Tower of Babel, with everyone yammering in something other than English. It is a horrow show, and I never escaped from there in less than three hours.

Get in a car and drive to a less congested/more civilized town and your DMV experience will be better.

yup lol i just go there cause its where i work.

Guest megaman

took off of wotk tonnight to pick the gun up i ordered at the same gun store i baught a gun from in june start the paperwork and they tell me my licence dont match fy FID card i told them it worked in june at there store and In 3 other gun stores since then. They told me the salsmen must have missed the address not matching up now how is this possible 4 guns since may at 4 different stores and now its a problem? I called NIKS and talked to the women told her it hasnt been a problem the last 4 times and she is saying well you got lucky because its agains the rules. So she denyied it untill i go to motorvehicle and stand on line all day to change my address. My own town issued me 4 permits with a po box on my licence also. How is this fair?

Your paperwork was out of order. Its a shame such a glitch was allowed to happen. You need to get your addresses straight then pick up the guns.

Its the law.

I don't understand how dpas1973 fails to comprehend the fact FID and DL address MUST match. He pushed his luck and got denied you are lucky you didn't get in trouble because you are breaking the law. Ans please don't say you didn't know it is up to you to know the law ignorance is not a defense.

• Like 1

why would a private seller need my drivers license..

Because there's no photo on your FPID and how the heck do I know that Mr. V. Ladtepes is actually THE Mr. V. Ladtepes having never met you before?? I'm no fingerprint expert and that's the only identifying mark on the FPID.

Because there's no photo on your FPID and how the heck do I know that Mr. V. Ladtepes is actually THE Mr. V. Ladtepes having never met you before?? I'm no fingerprint expert and that's the only identifying mark on the FPID.

while I guess it is a good practice just to be extra careful.. but I don't think you are obligated to do so..

If you go to a New Jersey Motor Vehicle center they will change you $10 (IIRC) at the counter, if you use the online link that someone posted previously then its free. You will receive a sticker that goes on the back of your existing drivers license. I do not mean to high jack this thread but I have been living in my home for about a year and I wanted to ask if I had to go to my new local police dept and transfer my handgun permit? I will assume that I do and that I have to obtain a new FPIC. Does anyone know what the change is for this transfer?

You mean since they "out sourced"???? :mole:

I have to retract my earlier post in this thread. When selling my Ax and titling my truck this last summer(July 2011), it was 2 hours each trip in Oakland. In 2008, I renewed my Driver License in Oakland...start to finish was 18 minutes. They've apparently closed enough of the DMV places that it's a disaster everywhere now.

• Like 1

What I find interesting is the DMV (or PD) actually issued a license (or permit) with a PO box address. I didn't know that was possible.

It's actually unlawful...but DMV/MVS are lazy and don't bother to do anything more than copy what's on the form. The Ultimate fault lies with them you aren't permitted to have your address listed as a PO box on your DL, yet MVC prints them that way all the time.

I have to retract my earlier post in this thread. When selling my Ax and titling my truck this last summer(July 2011), it was 2 hours each trip in Oakland. In 2008, I renewed my Driver License in Oakland...start to finish was 18 minutes. They've apparently closed enough of the DMV places that it's a disaster everywhere now.

So far (knock Wood) Hazlet is Ok..I dont think i've been more than 10 minutes for ANYTHING there, as compared to Wallington (Garfield??) where there was a line around the building last time I had to drop off a box of license plates from evidence...even the regional office in Eatontown was quick last time i had to go there for something. OP might be better taking the drive down to hazlet, even with the 40 minute drive and tolls it's be quicker and easier than dealing with the northern MVC offices.

why would a private seller need my drivers license..

To confirm that the name listed on YOUR FPID is the same one as on your license, since 99% of people would have no other means to confirm it's you...other than us Fingerprint Examiners...Hmmm, What would you say to a buyer or seller that wanted to roll your print to compare it to the one on your FPID??? :keeporder: In all seriousness, the DL has your photo on it, and it's a nice, easy (Somewhat, since nothing is ever REALLY Secure) way to confirm that you are who you say you are. If you buy a gun from ME, or sell one to me, i WILL be makign a photocopy (if at my home) or taking a digital photo of your DL and FPID front and back, or there is no transfer.

So, according to the law, one just has to CONFIRM the identity of the purchaser.It doesn't really specify how. Look at that, you really learn something new everyday...wink.gif

Absolutely..that said the majority of retailers are going to want everything to match, mainly because that's what NJSP "Suggests"........ ;)

To confirm that the name listed on YOUR FPID is the same one as on your license, since 99% of people would have no other means to confirm it's you...other than us Fingerprint Examiners...Hmmm, What would you say to a buyer or seller that wanted to roll your print to compare it to the one on your FPID??? :keeporder: In all seriousness, the DL has your photo on it, and it's a nice, easy (Somewhat, since nothing is ever REALLY Secure) way to confirm that you are who you say you are. If you buy a gun from ME, or sell one to me, i WILL be makign a photocopy (if at my home) or taking a digital photo of your DL and FPID front and back, or there is no transfer.

but it is not required...

and there would be no transfer then.. I would not let some random guy I don't know photo copy my DL.. would you want me.. someone you really don't know.. to retain a digital copy of YOUR identification for me to use however I wish? that is nor really a good practice IMO..

for a long gun for example..

the law says I need a FID card to buy a gun from you.. and a COE.. if that is not good enough for you.. that is OK.. America is a free place.. do what you like.. but anything more than that is NOT required..

but it is not required...

and there would be no transfer then.. I would not let some random guy I don't know photo copy my DL.. would you want me.. someone you really don't know.. to retain a digital copy of YOUR identification for me to use however I wish? that is nor really a good practice IMO..

for a long gun for example..

the law says I need a FID card to buy a gun from you.. and a COE.. if that is not good enough for you.. that is OK.. America is a free place.. do what you like.. but anything more than that is NOT required..

I completely agree. I would not let anybody that that is not operating under an official capacity with a legal reason to make photocopy or photo of my DL.
  • Like 1

Dino, you need to file for a change of address on your FID, you do not need to do anything to the original permits to purchase a pistol.

I do not know. I myself have to do the same thing. I recently moved and I need to update my NJFPIC too. I am hoping its a painless procedure but I have to wait for my new drivers license stickers to come in the mail first so I will keep you posted.

Personally, If I were to sell a gun to a person in this situation, I would be fired on the spot. Non matching DL and FPID is considered a critical error where I work and is grounds for termination.

Flame me if you will, but it sounds to m that you are trying to skirt around the law/directive. If your cards dont match, do what ever needs to be done to make them match while remaining truthful. No one I know or work with would be willing to risk their job/ffl just because you dont want to play by the rules.