YZRM1R6

10mm ... What to get?

I have one more handgun permit to use up and I'm really itching for a 10mm. Ideally I want to get a Dan Wesson Bob Tail Commander 10mm, but they don't make them anymore! Anyone have other recomendations for a 10mm? Might go with the glock 29 sf, but the 1911 platform is so much more appealing. Thanks!

Well...There are used 1000 Series Smith and Wessons out there. Large, tank like handguns. Mag capacity of 8+1.

Then there are used Colt Deltas... make sure the frame is not cracked.

Then there are new Dan Wesson Pointmans... 1911 style and very desirable. Never shot one... only hear glowing reports.

There were some EAA Witness 10mm full size and compacts floating around for awhile.. they were decent guns especially in full size.

But my personal favorite if the Glock 20... Big, handles the recoil well, very sturdy and 15+1 rds of 10mm goodness is bad mojo for something down range.

I liked the EAA witness compact I had, my issue with it was the lack of lefty friendly controls. And for the price of $450 it just did not match up to a glock20 for $50 more.

If you really want to lay your hands on a g20 try glock talk and keep your eyes open. I bought my last one there for $350 with 3 mags.

If you are willing to spend the coin for a DW, then you ought to look at the "original"...

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

This is owned by the guy that owned DW, and he is largely responsible for the reputation they enjoy today as purveyors of fine 1911's. I can't believe there wasn't a strong non-compete clause in the buy-out, but apparently there wasn't.

Lots of 10mm's to choose from - or he'll build it your way. Spoke to someone on Sat with a Fusion 10mm who said it was the finest firearm he has ever owned.

Just an alternative.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

cant go wrong with a glock. im fairly sure you can also swap barrels between the 20 and 21, so you can have 10mm and 45. neither of which are cheap to shoot, but its an option.

You can however it won't run 100% reliably. There's a difference in the breech face and extractor as well as the OD of the barrel. Additionally, the 10mm slide has more internal reinforcement than the .45

Guest megaman

I have a ported glock 20...its AWESOME to shoot!!! Looks like a barbq lighter when fired! Flames coming out of the top!

Put some hot ammo in there and have fun, but make sure the ceiling is high enough..ive singed a few ports at the BH...

I have a ported glock 20...its AWESOME to shoot!!! Looks like a barbq lighter when fired! Flames coming out of the top!

Put some hot ammo in there and have fun, but make sure the ceiling is high enough..ive singed a few ports at the BH...

Bring it to the next BH meet? It would be nice to try! :D

Guest megaman

How are the Dan Wesson's anyway? Anyone have one?

Looking for something to carry while I'm away in CT (live/work there 4 days a week) so the Bren Ten and the G20 might be a little big haha.

I dont know that you want to carry a 10mm for protection...I take my 10mm hunting, as a 10mm round is no joke in velocity, trajectory and range....carry a .45 or something that will stop a threat. A 10mm will go right through. I have some 10mm that chrono'ed at 1650 fps...conversely, I use 12ga slugs for deer that go that fast...

Guest megaman

Bring it to the next BH meet? It would be nice to try! :D

No prob!

I can't believe I missed this thread. 10mm is my favorite. I have owned half a dozen different ones. My first question has to do with reloading. If you don't, then your choice doesn't matter as much. This is a high pressure round, and sloppy chambers (which increase reliability) end up drastically reducing the lifespan of your brass because it expands so much.

Both the Glock 20 & 29 (SF Models too) and Colt Deltas (both old generation and new, excepting the old Colt Delta Gold Cup target gun) have these sloppy chambers. Many people put a $100 Lone Wolf barrel in their Glock and that resolves that. I am sure there is a 1911 barrel in 10mm that you could do the same with on the Colt, although it might have to be fitted by a gunsmith.

These are both excellent guns. The Glock 20/29 (and SF models too) have a FAT grip. It is not for everyone. They are the one gun that was truly built to withstand the pounding of the mighty 10mm round. This gun is the only one I know of besides the Bren Ten that was built from the ground up as 10mm. All other guns were designed for some other caliber.

The Glock is the most indestructible of all the 10mm guns. Second toughest in my opinion is the S&W 10XX series. The 1006 is a mammoth pistol with the strongest recoil spring I have ever felt on any gun. These can be had for around $600 in good shape. This gun (the 1066 is my favorite) will outlast your grandkids. It is nice and accurate, but heavy as hell.

The Colt Delta Elite (old version and current production from Colt) is a nice, old style 1911. It does not have any of the modern features (I would call most of them frills) as most 1911s today. There is no beavertail, dehorned edges, front cocking serrations, or the like. You will have a cool traditional looking blued or stainless 1911 in a superior caliber. The downside is that, unless you get the redesigned version of the Delta, it has a structural flaw that cause the frame to crack. It is easily remedied though. The slide release slot was a hole rather than a full slot. Once the extra material on the top of the frame is filed away, the gun does not have this problem.

The EAA Witness has a history of cracked frames and slides from 10mm. The gun is a great design (CZ75) but this has stiopped me from buying one. Ditto on the original Bren ten, not to mention how expensive they are.

I owned a Dan Wesson CBOB and sold it. The gun was a piece of workmanship, with the best slide to frame fit i have ever seen on a 1911. The reason I sold it is that I now believe that a commander length (or shorter) 1911 will not withstand the beating 10mm gives it over the long haul. If you want a 1911 though, Dan Wessons would far and away be my recommendation. I would suggest the Razorback as an all-around pistol. If you want a target pistol, the Pointman 7 is a good gun too. I can't speak to the STI Perfect 10, except that it is god-awful expensive and has a 6 inch slide. Some love that, but I feel like it would be a little heavy and unwieldy for the range or protection in the woods. It certainly would help tame recoil though.

I am in the process of ordering a Fusion 1911 in 10mm.

As for the interchangeability between the Glock 21 and 20, it is only one direction. The frames are the same, but the slides are different. The Glock 21 has a larger breechface, ejector and extractor for the wider 45ACP round. You could buy a lone wolf conversion barrel and it would be OK as a range gun in 10mm, but it wouldn't be reliable enough to use to protect yourself with.

You could not convert to 45ACP in a Glock 20 because the breechface is too small.

The real solution would be to buy a Glock 20 or 21, then buy a slide assembly and barrel for the one you don't have. This would allow you to have real interchangeability.

Is 10mm really overkill (no pun intended) for self defense?

Lunker... you should have sold the Dan Wesson to me! I would have taken it off your hands!

If lunker has a gun that you like, you have to call dibs on it right away. If not, you will miss it. Lunker Lunkers away alot of guns... typically 3 months or less.

Is 10mm really overkill (no pun intended) for self defense?

Lunker... you should have sold the Dan Wesson to me! I would have taken it off your hands!

Nope. In its lighter loadings (135grain, 155grain, 165grain) the 10mm is an excellent personal defense round. The additional case length (1/8") over the 40S&W allows you to either have the same ballistics as a 40S&W with less pressure (and recoil), or to dramatically improve on the ballistics of the 40S&W (with accompanying additional recoil). The heavier loads for 10mm, like 180grain, 200grain, and higher are more designed for protection in the woods. Some people favor the heavy bullet approach for self-defense. The 180 grain @ 1200fps was made for them.

Got to say g20, it's got 15+1 perfect for NJ. It will handle full house loads all day and it's a glock. Nothing better than to show up at the range everyone thinks " that's just another glock". Then after you send the first mag downrange everyone wants to know what your shooting. Even better in OD green.

Got to say g20, it's got 15+1 perfect for NJ. It will handle full house loads all day and it's a glock. Nothing better than to show up at the range everyone thinks " that's just another glock". Then after you send the first mag downrange everyone wants to know what your shooting. Even better in OD green.

Get the OD green while you can. Glock discontinued it. Unfortunately, they never made the SF models in it either.

Get the OD green while you can. Glock discontinued it. Unfortunately, they never made the SF models in it either.

Dude, If I found an OD green G19 I'd pee my panties! I know LibertyorDeath has one, but he ain't lettin it go.

Dude, If I found an OD green G19 I'd pee my panties! I know LibertyorDeath has one, but he ain't lettin it go.

i have one of those in OD too but mine isn't for sale either! Took me months to find that color combo in stock at Shore Shot (And this was during the peak of the 08 Obamathon gun rush).

IMG_1611.jpg