EngineerJet

Called state police about hollow points

The following conversation is paraphrased to the best of my memory, but the key points are there.

me:Hi, I have a question regarding firearm laws?

police: Yes sir how can I help ya?

me: It has to do with hollow points. Are they...

police: They are illegal

me: Are you sure because the last time I called I was told they are legal to buy, own, and transport to range.

police: Are you a civilian?

me: Yes

police: Then they are illegal, you can't have them.

me: That's not that the firearms department told me last time we spoke.

police: Who did you speak to?

me: I am not sure but it was within the firearms unit.

police: Alright hold on (about 15 seconds go by of him asking questions to someone who works there)

police: Ok it seems you are correct and I'm sorry, but why are you calling again if you called before and already got your answer?

me: Well I was calling to clarify a different point, and that is if they are legal to own, is there anything preventing the use of hollow points in a legitimate home defense situation

police: That is fine, since you wont be throwing your bullets to defend yourself. In a home defense situation you gotta do what you gotta do to defend yourself with any means available to you. Again, you are correct about the hollow points. Normally my encounter with hollow points is related to traffic stops that result in a weapon present.

me: I understand that sir and I agree that part of the law is true that we can't carry hollow points outside of the exemptions I mentioned. I mean no disrespect, it is just that I have heard to many conflicting reports that I just wanted to hear it from the source.

police: Understandable, it seems we both learned something.

me: Thank you sir and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

police: Good day.

The officer was very polite and it seems he really didn't know they are legal. I wouldnt really blame the officer although I do agree police should know the laws they enforce, but I blame the atmosphere of ignorance more than this individual. This came about because I was at a store the other day and as normal their was talk about hollow points and how they are illegal cuz they read somewhere or heard from a good friend, etc. But low and behold, this is straight from the horses mouth!

Have a great turkey day everyone!

• Like 1

If it was a normal officer, this would be more understandable....but this guy works for the FIREARMS DIVISION. I am not trying to bash him in any way, with all the laws and stipulations for everything, it is somewhat understandable.....but he works in the firearms division, he should know.

Guest megaman

Stop calling these guys! WTF?!?!

You know the law. Stop calling.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you didn't get the "call a lawyer" response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the NJSP Website

The New Jersey State Police is not authorized to provide legal advice to private parties.

For informational purposes only, New Jersey firearm laws and procedures may be derived from state and federal statutes, state and federal administrative codes, New Jersey Attorney General guidelines and case law. Please note that this information and these references may not be exhaustive in addressing your issue.

I think that the law is pretty clear about this.. I actually heard the law MISQUOTED at the last NJ2A meeting.. I am not sure of the speaker because I was in the middle of of filing the FLCCW permit paperwork.. but I do remember saying to Anthony from GFH and he was like no they are legal I am not sure what he means.. the NJ2A meeting was great.. but if we hope to educate the public and make grounds for greater freedom.. we should probably be %100 of the law before we make random statements regarding the legality of any particular item.... I wish I noticed who was talking at the time but I was just doing to many other things at the moment..

I obviously didn't call because I had nothing better to do. If I knew the law 100% then I wouldn't have called. This was to clarify an issue I heard from a source that claimed to had read it in the law.

Hollow Point Bullets are LEGAL in the State of NJ. You can purchase, posses, transport, and shoot. They are ONLY illegal in the act or commission of a crime.

If you gun is loaded with hollow points in your home defense firearm that is legal.

If you get pulled over with a joint in your ashtray and hollow points in the trunk, that could be construed as during the act or commission.

If you rob a gas station with them end of conversation, illegal.

Anthony

• Like 2

Hollow Point Bullets are LEGAL in the State of NJ. You can purchase, posses, transport, and shoot. They are ONLY illegal in the act or commission of a crime.

If you gun is loaded with hollow points in your home defense firearm that is legal.

If you get pulled over with a joint in your ashtray and hollow points in the trunk, that could be construed as during the act or commission.

If you rob a gas station with them end of conversation, illegal.

Anthony

I am pretty sire that is how is was talked about at the meeting also. It actually came up a couple of times.

I obviously didn't call because I had nothing better to do. If I knew the law 100% then I wouldn't have called. This was to clarify an issue I heard from a source that claimed to had read it in the law.

ask us first.. if we are SURE we will tell you.. if we are not sure.. then by all means call..

• Like 1

In this case, the result was that a misinformed individual actually learned something. I don't see how this is bad. This is not asking if a Ruger Charger is illegal and bringing light to a gray area.

In this case, the result was that a misinformed individual actually learned something. I don't see how this is bad. This is not asking if a Ruger Charger is illegal and bringing light to a gray area.

while I agree with you in this situation... a simple thread could have answered the question in detail, without annoying the NJSP..

while I agree with you in this situation... a simple thread could have answered the question in detail, without annoying the NJSP..

The NJSP are public servants, and one of their duties is to answer questions that the pubic has. It is their JOB to do this. There really is no need to give the O.P. a hard time guys!

• Like 1

Guest megaman

Keep calling...thats why you have to pick up your CMP rifles from a FFL now...

Are you guys kidding me?

• Like 2

The NJSP are public servants, and one of their duties is to answer questions that the pubic has. It is their JOB to do this. There really is no need to give the O.P. a hard time guys!

+1

Really guys......

Some of you really need to change the batteries in your tin foil hats....

• Like 2

Against my better judgement I'm going to comment.

Lawyers have specialties because they can't possibly be 100% on every aspect of the law. Cops don't always know when they'll be sitting running plates, doing radar, or maybe haveing a first day or week in the firearms division. It's easy to see why they make mistakes. That's just one reason why you might get a ticket you don't deserve, get advice that's wrong, or get away with something if you're calm and respectful.

If you do something illegal and say that a cop told you it was okay, you're just as wrong. Much better to take the website's word on the legal advice.

I think I'll buy a revolver and get some magazines to load it more quickly.

No offense to the board, but imagine the look on the judges face if I'm ever on trial for violating an ambiguous law and I tell him "But your honor, I heard it on the internets!"

I would think he would be confused.

Judge: Plantiff, you mean to tell me there is more than one internet? :)

Guest megaman

I would think he would be confused.

Judge: Plantiff, you mean to tell me there is more than one internet? :)

"Yes, your honor...there are internets...I heard it from a former president...

Judge :icon_rolleyes:

Keep calling...thats why you have to pick up your CMP rifles from a FFL now...

Are you guys kidding me?

And why we can't have Auto ordnance Carbines, and WHo wants to bet that some Helpy Mchelperton calling "Just to be Sure" the IO A-Clones were Good to go, prompted THAT frigging Debacle???

Agreed. And in this case he also managed to educate the officer about the law, as well as getting his question answered.

There is really no minus to the situation.

Um no... Not sure where you picked up that pile of horse crap. They are under no obligation to interpret the law for you it is up to you to go to an attorney if you can't figure it out. 75% of the time they don't even fully understand the law themselves, you get bad advice from one of them, you don't question it because you like the answer, 18 months latter you get pulled over and arrested do you really think a viable defence will be "well I called the NJSP firearms unit 18 months ago and trooper whats-his-face said it was OK...

18 years ago when Glock 17 owners became third degree criminals because Florio signed a bill into law the state police told them they could keep their guns with their 17 round magazines as long as they were blocked to hold no more than 15 rounds at the time of inspection. What is that advice worth today? About two years for each of those magazines in your possession.