GoNRA

Animal rights advocates sue to stop bear hunt in NJ

You know those people are probably right .We should not go bear hunting for another 5 years i would say .. than we should have a real bear population (out of controll). and just mabe they will eat half of those people and there pets . then we will see if they change there mind or move out.. Bob

You know those people are probably right .We should not go bear hunting for another 5 years i would say .. than we should have a real bear population (out of controll). and just mabe they will eat half of those people and there pets . then we will see if they change there mind or move out.. Bob

PUHLEASE!!! These people are not deterred by facts.

PUHLEASE!!! These people are not deterred by facts.

Most of those against the bear hunt live don't actually have bears visit them. I suspect most would whine and cry about how they can't put their garbage out or they don't feel safe going outside at night or they're worried that their pets will get eaten.

Case in point, down the street from me, a neighbor had his dog staked out like a goat in Jurassic park. Mama bear grabbed the little snack dog and walked away. The dog didn't make it. During the interviews later on, one of the two residents(both men) complained that they had moved here from the Village to be with nature and now they are considering moving back because they don't feel safe.

A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet. The same applies to most of the people who are against the bear hunt. Most would call for the extinction of bears if they kill their little rat dog.

Most of those against the bear hunt live don't actually have bears visit them. I suspect most would whine and cry about how they can't put their garbage out or they don't feel safe going outside at night or they're worried that their pets will get eaten.

Case in point, down the street from me, a neighbor had his dog staked out like a goat in Jurassic park. Mama bear grabbed the little snack dog and walked away. The dog didn't make it. During the interviews later on, one of the two residents(both men) complained that they had moved here from the Village to be with nature and now they are considering moving back because they don't feel safe.

A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet. The same applies to most of the people who are against the bear hunt. Most would call for the extinction of bears if they kill their little rat dog.

Correct Amundo... good write up..

The state needs to bring in some of those people who have had problem bears and loses from bears..

Tell it to my little FI-FI......The girl who lost her rabbit that was kept on the porch :facepalm:

Guest megaman

Correct Amundo... good write up..

The state needs to bring in some of those people who have had problem bears and loses from bears..

Tell it to my little FI-FI......The girl who lost her rabbit that was kept on the porch :facepalm:

I just want to let the bear people do like they did last time and stand at the edge of the woods banging pots and pans.

Last time we set up downwind of where they were and they pretty much drove all the game to the brook, which we were all posted along the edges of...lots of deer and bear taken out of our camp that year!

Last time the bear hunt was being protested, my favorite talking point was that the bears are just "harmless woodland dolphins" who are just trying to cope with their territory being "invaded" by evil, selfish people.

Yeah, dolphins are cute and cuddly when you toss them a fish in the aquarium, but they've obviously never seen a pod of dolphins mercilessly rip through a school of baitfish, without conscience or remorse.

Idiots. They should invite the bears to their house for an afternoon of tea and schnauzer.

:facepalm: stupid bleeding heart liberals. The bears aren't a threat? There's been 2 hit by cars in a month's time that I know about from hearing on the traffic report. I'm sure there have been more hits. The last one was a 200 pound bear.... pretty big if you have to ask me.

Yeah, dolphins are cute and cuddly when you toss them a fish in the aquarium, but they've obviously never seen a pod of dolphins mercilessly rip through a school of baitfish, without conscience or remorse.

...or when they attack or repel an attack by a killer whale. All woodland critters are cute and cuddly until you want to get cute and cuddly. Stupid humans!

When New Jersey's F&W discontinued bear hunting in 1969(?), I don't think they were cognizant or planned for other shifts in N.J. when it came to agricutural change and development splurge. When black bears began to make a recovery in their numbers in the 80's, the state should have quietly brought back bear hunting during the regular 6-day firearm season. By the time 2003 rolled around, they were forced to do something. But by then, attitudes and cultural change and resistance to hunting compared to thirty-five years ago was evident as it was met with less than embracing acceptance when the first bear hunt was proposed.

Some sobering statistics:

According to the USDA, New Jersey had 2 million acres of agricultural land in 1950. Today, there remains only 600,000 acres. New Jersey leads the nation in agricultural land loss. With two-fifth's of the state already classified as developed, we are slowly losing places for critters to go. Rowan Univ. produced a study that noted that 20% of New Jersey is classified as wetlands, with almost a million acres. Yet, during a 21 year period of the study they conducted which concluded in 2007, the state experienced a net loss of 52,285 acres of wetlands. The annualized loss rate is still slightly less than 2,000 acres per year of just wetlands. We lose another 5,000 acres of non-wetlands land each year to "urban sprawl."

In addition to these losses, farming and land practices have changed that would allow food and sanctuary for lesser species and there are no more native populations of wild game like quail, pheasant or grouse that are significant in numbers anymore. The state no longer tracks harvest numbers of small game like grouse or woodcock (discontinued in 2008,) and without a put-and-take system from the pheasant and quail stockings, there would be none to hunt. With mature forests and WMA gamelands interspersed between McMansion-developments, both which serve as sanctuaries; larger game species like deer, turkey and bear proliferate and dominate the browse which impacts existence of the lesser species. Bears, which are omnivores, will eat everything, and delight in raiding garbage cans or the opportune rabbit hutch. What would one expect from a wild animal, something different? Woodpeckers, blue jays, crows, skunks and raccoons are also omnivores but when they raid your garbage can they don't frighten you as much as a black bear can when he stands on his hind legs and "woofs" at you. What do people expect them to be; Yogi in the Jellystone Park?

Funny, just the other morning I was waiting for the train and we (all of us commuters) were treated to the image of a HUGE red fox carrying a little fluffy white kitten carcas in its mouth.

How's that for making an animal rights person's head explode.

Funny, just the other morning I was waitin for the train and we (all of us commuters) were treated to teh image of a HUGE red fox carrying a little fluffy white kitten carcas in its mouth.

Yeah, that's a good one heh.

Predators aren't known to discriminate, but I wouldn't classify a black bear as a predator. They are more of an "opportunistic" feeder.

A predator that is both opportunistic yet does not discriminate:

post-2303-0-53945500-1291401073_thumb.jpg

Guest megaman

Funny, just the other morning I was waiting for the train and we (all of us commuters) were treated to the image of a HUGE red fox carrying a little fluffy white kitten carcas in its mouth.

thats great! I love when nature rules and people realize that they cant stop red foxx!

LOL

Guest megaman

Predators aren't known to discriminate, but I wouldn't classify a black bear as a predator. They are more of an "opportunistic" feeder.

A predator that is both opportunistic yet does not discriminate:

post-2303-0-53945500-1291401073_thumb.jpg

Great pic. I just wonder why more people dont hunt coyotes...Every coyote shot is a benefit for turkey and deer hunters, etc...

Great pic. I just wonder why more people dont hunt coyotes...Every coyote shot is a benefit for turkey and deer hunters, etc...

After years of small and big game hunting, I never tried this, so this past winter I started hunting coyotes in N.Y. Season and arms allowed are a bit more liberal than in N.J. It was not as easy as I expected. Cold weather and snow up north seemed to put predator movement at the after-dusk hours and I didn't see much in the few times I went. The area I hunted was full of sign in thick woods and swamp, so for the terrain I worked up and patterned some buffered #4 buckshot loads for my 20 & 16 gauges that previous Fall in preparation for fox/coyote. Only that combination limited my range. I did some combined crow/fox/coyote hunts, and while I connected on crow, I didn't on fox/coyote. My biggest problem was leaving the house without my dog, who couldn't understand why I wasn't taking him.

When deer season ends in N.Y. I'll head up there again with a rifle.

Guest megaman

After years of small and big game hunting, I never tried this, so this past winter I started hunting coyotes in N.Y. Season and arms allowed are a bit more liberal than in N.J. It was not as easy as I expected. Cold weather and snow up north seemed to put predator movement at the after-dusk hours and I didn't see much in the few times I went. The area I hunted was full of sign in thick woods and swamp, so for the terrain I worked up and patterned some buffered #4 buckshot loads for my 20 & 16 gauges that previous Fall in preparation for fox/coyote. Only that combination limited my range. I did some combined crow/fox/coyote hunts, and while I connected on crow, I didn't on fox/coyote. My biggest problem was leaving the house without my dog, who couldn't understand why I wasn't taking him.

When deer season ends in N.Y. I'll head up there again with a rifle.

Yeah, I know, its not easy. I got 2 last year, one in swartswood, and one in white lake...

These people be STOOOPID!

In the past couple years i have heard a couple times a year about a bear being trapped in a suburban town reeking havoc. They have no reason to move there unless there is serious competition in there habitat. If you live anywhere in North NJ, bears are very common, even if you've never seen one. In wayne my friend had a bear on his property and it was just hanging out, no garbage, took him a couple hours to leave.

Guys, I am not a hunter, but why are you clamoring about wanting to hunt a bear in NJ? It's a freaking small state with hardly any living habitat for bears ...

Why not hunt in other states? just asking ...

Just so some of you don't get into stupid debates and get your panties in a knot ...

I am fully aware of the bear and Bambi menace in NJ.

I don't think NJ is a wild enough with an open space in the country (compared to other parts of USA) to hunt. This state is the most populous state next to NYC (compared to NY state as a whole). Duh. Why don't you hunt some place else?

Given the stupid sprawl of people (in this state) and their ideas, if a bear threatens a human, kill it, but be responsible in what you do.

Be responsible to the environment and the bear (which will be dead) without being selfish for sake of a prey in a hunt. Is that much to ask?

You will know when to shoot when threatened, but do you know when to shoot for fun?

I don't think NJ is a wild enough with an open space in the country (compared to other parts of USA) to hunt. This state is the most populous state next to NYC (compared to NY state as a whole). Duh. Why don't you hunt some place else?

You haven't ever left your hometown have you? NJ has a LARGE amount of wide open areas, including several Wildlife Management Areas set aside just for the purpose of hunting/fishing.

And most hunt here because non-resident hunting licenses out of state are insanely expensive, let alone the cost to traveling elsewhere.

In wayne my friend had a bear on his property and it was just hanging out, no garbage, took him a couple hours to leave.

Like my big buddy here: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/bears/5-28-09/IMG_3479%20%28Large%29.JPG He hung out for an hour or so.

I get bears regularly at certain times of year. Usually in the spring it's daily then in the summer I see them once a week then usually from Oct-Mar I don't see any. Now considering that I'm not looking out the windows all the time, I suspect they're around quite a bit more frequently than I see.

You haven't ever left your hometown have you? NJ has a LARGE amount of wide open areas, including several Wildlife Management Areas set aside just for the purpose of hunting/fishing.

And most hunt here because non-resident hunting licenses out of state are insanely expensive, let alone the cost to traveling elsewhere.

At least once a year, search and rescue has to find someone who's gotten themselves lost in the woods near my house. The watershed that my property backs up against is roughly 9 miles long and from 3 to 7 miles wide. Take a google maps look at Cherry Ridge range http://goo.gl/maps/9weq . It sits in the middle of the most dense population of black bears in the world.

At least once a year, search and rescue has to find someone who's gotten themselves lost in the woods near my house. The watershed that my property backs up against is roughly 9 miles long and from 3 to 7 miles wide. Take a google maps look at Cherry Ridge range http://goo.gl/maps/9weq . It sits in the middle of the most dense population of black bears in the world.

Not to mention the pines of South Jersey.

New Jersey may be the most densely populated state in the nation, 2/5th's which are developed, but there are still a lot of rural areas. The Division of Fish & Wildlife manages more than 120 parcels of wildlife management areas (WMA's) that number more than 217,855 acres of huntable land.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.org/wmaland.htm

In addition to WMA's, there are numerous state parks and forests that are open to hunting.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/parkindex.html

New Jersey today has only a third of the number of hunters who go afield each year as oppposed to hunters' numbers 40 years ago. It's not as crowded as it used to be. Nor is hunting as popular as it used to be. Only in the most rural of the northern sections will there be bear hunting next week.

I have no intention of bear hunting. That's just my preference, but I understand why the State sees fit to reduce their numbers. Bear activity drops and they are less prolific once winter rolls around. Based on the last two bear hunts and the take numbers, expect hunters to harvest only 10%-15% of their estimated population.

"The kill should never become more important than the hunt."

The Newark Watershed is approx. 35000 acres which boarders on 6 different towns. There is more than enough open space to hunt and trap in NJ. In fact they should open up the little parcels of wooded area's for bowhunting in towns that dont permit hunting , just to control deer the population.

Was talking to my girl last night and she randomly brought up how there were so many bears around these days. Not here obviously as we live in West Orange, but around NJ as we have noticed from traveling around the state, from friends in different areas telling us and reading news reports. I informed her of the controlled hunt and how there is a law suit against the state from some animal rights group. Her response was 'yeah, those are the people that live in city areas that never leave that area, idiots." She's a vegetarian by the way :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1