How do you feel about Marriage?

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about marriage?

• I'm happily married, and loving it
    • Looking forward to it
    • I wish I hadn't
    • Divorced that *****
    • I will never get married

A successful marriage takes 2 people to make it work or fail and you need to have things in common. Opposites only work for sex. Marriages need to be worked on everyday because there is 2 of you, then add the kids and it gets tougher but is well worth it. I believe a good marriage starts out as good friends who enjoy spending time together doing things together and forming a bond that will last through the harder times. Because in the end, when the kids get older it is the 2 of you again and you need to have something to look forward to.

For me being married is a wonderful thing. My wife is my best friend and we keep the relationship strong by including our activities with the kids and trying new things as well as having our alone time and seperate interests. It is not easy to blend 2 people into 1. There are hard times but the good times make it all worthwhile.

• Like 3

You forgot a selection - Happily Living in Sin

I belong in this category. It will be 24 years month after next. We had both been married previously. Neither of us were interested in having kids (I have two - now adults - from my first marriage). Neither of us are particularly religious. Why get married? I'm a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" It has worked well for nearly a quarter of a century (longer than a lot of my friends have been married), I'm not about to change now. Not something I'd recommend for everybody, but it works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Oh yeah, what he said - just cause there's no piece of paper doesn't mean that it's easy or doesn't require work. If this weren't NJ, we'd be married via common law.

• Like 2

I believe a good marriage starts out as good friends who enjoy spending time together doing things together and forming a bond that will last through the harder times.

Completely agree

I haven't even reached the 1 year mark yet, but, so far so good. For us, it really hasn't been very different compared to pre-marriage. We lived "in sin" (© Pizza Bob), for quite a few years before getting married, so I'm sure that has something to do with the lack of "difference".

My wife and I just celebrated 6 years of happy marrage. She is the love of my life, my best friend and my biggest supporter, (she's also sexy). I knew she was the one very shortly into our relationship. I asked her to marry me on our 3 month anniversary and we were married 2 months after that. I would not change a thing. I would say 97%+ of the time things are great.

MedicYeti and I have similar stories...we just had our 6 year anniversary in November. I proposed 11 months after we first met on a blind date, and were married seven months later. After we got back from our honeymoon, it was the Christmas party season, and you know, she just looked so good that night...9 months later our first daughter. Two years later (Christmas party season again) she just looked so good that night...9 months later our second daughter. I've since converted to Judaism. Only joking.

+1 on what Tim said. Fortunately my wife and I click so well that it's scary. She loves football, shooting, most of the same music (our wedding song was "Is this Love?" by Bob Marley) and she loves trucks. She's smart, beautiful, and a riot. Bottom line, my best friend (with benefits!) Oh yeah, and the mother of my two angels, who fortunately for them look just like her. Which is why Daddy has a shotgun for those dreaded teen years.

Smartest thing i ever did,27 yrs and going strong. Got me to do a U turn on the very wrong path"back in the day".Kinda scary thinking back on what coulda happened.Guess she saw thru my stunning good looks and saw my potential!

Sometimes it's great, sometimes it sucks, which is probably normal for any relationship. Everybody's different and thus the arguments.

All I can say is (from 2nd hand experience) the longer one waits, the more they become set in their ways and not willing to make compromises and ultimately get married. I got married early and had kids early because I wanted to a| have fun with them while I'm still young b| be able to understand them when they get into puberty etc.

I remember when I was a kid, some of my friends parents could have been my grandparents and I said no f-ing way am I going to have my kids when I'm 50 :icon_e_biggrin:

Got two, they're great and probably the main reason why I don't quit my job and move to a deserted island :)

With that said, 10 years and counting...

This woman drives me up a wall. She's knows me better than I know myself. I didn't vote because its a little rough right now with the selling of our house so I'll leave it at that. Ask me again in 6 months and I'll have an answer for you. Ask me 6 months after that and it might change again.

A successful marriage takes 2 people to make it work or fail and you need to have things in common. Opposites only work for sex. Marriages need to be worked on everyday because there is 2 of you, then add the kids and it gets tougher but is well worth it. I believe a good marriage starts out as good friends who enjoy spending time together doing things together and forming a bond that will last through the harder times. Because in the end, when the kids get older it is the 2 of you again and you need to have something to look forward to.

For me being married is a wonderful thing. My wife is my best friend and we keep the relationship strong by including our activities with the kids and trying new things as well as having our alone time and seperate interests. It is not easy to blend 2 people into 1. There are hard times but the good times make it all worthwhile.

Quite possibly the single best post ever on this board (or any other for that matter).

I am less then 6months out from a divorce of a 6+ yr marriage, 11 yr relationship.

I had moved out in Aug of '09.

After dating an extremely large # of women over the past 1.5 years, I am now dating someone who I have and am continuing to build a strong friendship with 1st (we went to HS together, but did not become friends until recently).

Their is NO DOUBT in my mind, after trying it many different ways, that friends 1st, strong bond, similar interests/values/background,, etc is the proper way to do it!

Marriage is def work.

Would I do it again?

With the right person, definitely!

Their will be MUCH more thought going into what I think the right person is then the 1st time around.

Well I lost my quotes.....

Tim hit it on the head. Kristen and I click in so many ways and she knows me bettr than I know myself. She is my best friend and I am lucky to have her. We like so many of the same things except music. The line is drawn in teh sand on music. Two oppisite sides of the spectrum. We are 6+ years and could't be happier.

Pizza Bob, I +1 ya because somebody gave you a negative for sinning. :D

Marriage is all about finding the right person... At 25, I see a lot of friends getting hitched like it's their business, only to break-up down the line. I also see a lot who don't get married at all and stay together living in 'sin'. Whatever works I guess.

I'm single at the moment, but looking forward to the day where I can have someone share hobbies with me and other things.