RecessedFilter

Fobus holster fit REALLY tight

So normally I would say the tighter the better :icon_e_biggrin: , but in this case, the new Fobus holster I got is almost too tight.

I put my 75b in, pushed it down some more and it clicked in and felt great...nice and snug. Ok cool, let me draw....ok let me try and get it out...oh wait I can't get it out. It was stuck so bad I needed the help of a friend to hold the holster while I pulled it out.

I've heard these are 'snug' but I didn't know I wouldn't even be able to draw my damn pistol! I was thinking of putting it in the holster and letting it stretch out for a couple days...I hope this works.

Anyone else have this problem?

Funny thing is, everyone told me at the last IDPA match that I should get a Fobus holster. I wanted to get a leather one and spend the extra couple bucks for it, but everyone suggested just to get the cheapo since I would only be using it for matches and for running drills at the range. I feel like I should have went with my gut feeling and gotten the leather now...

I had the same holster. Its suppose to be difficult to get out. There is a paper in the package explaining how your gun will not come out unless you do a certain motion. To get mine out I had pull up very fast. Any other way it wouldn't come out. Yeah it was a pain. lol

is it Kydex or something similar... if so just use it.. it will loosen up..heating it might help now but in the long term may make it too loose.. my raven holster was VERY tight when I first got it but is perfect now.... also what kind of belt is this on? is the belt nice and tight...

The Fobus will loosen up over use. Also, it needs a fairly narrow draw angle in that you almost have to draw it inwards towards your body to get it to release. If you deviate from that it's pretty hard to get out. I think the only way to break it in is to wear it (with a tight belt like vlad suggested) and work on figuring out which way you need to pull to draw it.

Funny thing is, everyone told me at the last IDPA match that I should get a Fobus holster.

1. Remember who gave you this advice and never ever listen to them again.

2. Return Forbus.

3. Buy Bladetek or Safariland.

For shooting IDPA or USPSA matches you will want a holster that stays open and allows you to reholster with one hand without crossing your body parts with the muzzle.

if its a simple, non-adjustable fobus, its crap. get something better. A cheap i-Tac is better than those. If its the adjustable kind, you have a little better chance to loosen it up but it wont ever be as good as a blade-tech. I've had both kinda of fobus and will never spend a single cent with them again.

1. Remember who gave you this advice and never ever listen to them again.

2. Return Forbus.

3. Buy Bladetek or Safariland.

For shooting IDPA or USPSA matches you will want a holster that stays open and allows you to reholster with one hand without crossing your body parts with the muzzle.

Agreed! Buy something else.

fobus vs. the cz 75b.

Boil pot of water.

put fobus holster in pot of water in such a manner that it does not rest on the bottom.

Let sit for 5 minutes.

Using something to protect your hands remove the holster, and insert your gun.

let cool.

If it is still tight, repeat but bump up the soak time.

When done, disassemble and clean your gun in a manner appropriate for a gun exposed to lots of moisture.

You will either get a more usable holster by the end, or have trashed it. (usually you wind up with something you can use for a while but has a shortened life span).

P.S. Fobus sucks. Buy something good. But the above should get you through the wait for an order to be filled by any of the good brands if you can't find one in stock someplace.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I don't want to do anything that might trash it (boiling it) so I tried blowdrying it. It worked for a couple mins but from then on went back to its original state.

I'm just going to return it and buy either a Galco or Comptac.

And for the record, the belt is a 2inch leather belt that is strong and extra tight when I use a holster for the exact reason of making sure my holster is secure to my body.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I don't want to do anything that might trash it (boiling it) so I tried blowdrying it. It worked for a couple mins but from then on went back to its original state.

I'm just going to return it and buy either a Galco or Comptac.

And for the record, the belt is a 2inch leather belt that is strong and extra tight when I use a holster for the exact reason of making sure my holster is secure to my body.

OK, lets see. Boiling = application of heat. Blow dryer = application of heat. Boiling however keeps that heat restricted to 212 degrees. Which is why I suggest it as it is a controllable method of heating easily available to most everyone. It also allows you to heat the plastic all the way through without melting the surface like a heat gun can.

You have to leave the gun in to let it cool to an expanded state. If that STILL doesn't work, wrap the parts it is grabbing onto in masking tape (in a form fitting manner) and repeat.

As for trashing the holster, it arrived new in box trashed. It's a fobus. How is unusable because it wore out sooner rather than later more unusable than "it never worked form new".

Their mold for the cz-75 is too small. the only way to fix it is to stretch the plastic. Due to their construction, the place it will stretch is around the rivets or plastic welds. That means it won't last as long. It doesn't matter how you apply the heat.

• Like 1

Well thanks for the informative post Raz.

You're right though, the mold is way too small for the 75. And I'm surprised they haven't updated it or changed it since many people seem to have the same problem with it.

As far as returning it, I'd rather get my money back for it than throw it in the garbage and lose the 25 bucks. Then I can use it towards my next holster.

I meant to include Bladetek, I dunno why I didn't.

Anyone wouldn't happen to know what other gun models would fit a molded holster for a 75b would they?

I know nylon holsters or unmolded ones are more universal and go by barrel length, but I am unsure of molded holsters.

I meant to include Bladetek, I dunno why I didn't.

Anyone wouldn't happen to know what other gun models would fit a molded holster for a 75b would they?

I know nylon holsters or unmolded ones are more universal and go by barrel length, but I am unsure of molded holsters.

Yea, molded holsters are so fit specific, unless you have a gun that is a clone of an existing gun or yours is the original and there are clones of it (beretta 92, BHP, 1911, etc), its going be that and only that. That said, you may find that a Browning HP may fit into a molded holster for a 75b, but no guarantees.

Browning HP and a couple Witnesses might, but buying off the net is annoying when you have to do a return or are unsure of the product, like in this case.

We will see what happens.

I just bought an Uncle Mikes Belt for 25 bucks. The sizing is wayyy off. Send it back approx 5 bucks, restocking 3 bucks, shipping back to me 5.50. Thats 13.50 on a 25 dollar belt. Awesome.

So I read this post about the Fobus being tight but I figured how tight could it be. I bought one for my Glock 21. The gun went in and I couldn't draw it out. I had to hold the bottom with my left hand and I could finally draw it out. Not good.

I went to Fobus's web site and found a FAQ "The holster won't release my gun, its way too tight." at http://www.fobushols...html#2739_66427

They recommend lubricating the holster with gun oil or silicone. So I sprayed a bit of silicone on a paper towel and lightly wiped the inside of the holster. They say to concentrate around the trigger guard area but I found it helped most opposite the trigger guard area near the slide. I ended up lightly wiping down the entire inside of the holster.

The holster now works perfectly. It still completely retains the gun and as long as you quickly draw the gun in the direction of the cant it comes out easily. No issues at all.

So please no more boiling the holster, putting in an oven, or blowing it with a hair dryer!

btw: I have the paddle holster.

All I did was put my gun (unloaded for all the ball busters) in the holster so that the trigger guard was right at the peak of opening the holster to its max and let it sit for a day or so. That worked perfectly, and I rubbed a drop of gun lube inside the retention area. I love my fobus holster now.

if its a simple, non-adjustable fobus, its crap. get something better. A cheap i-Tac is better than those. If its the adjustable kind, you have a little better chance to loosen it up but it wont ever be as good as a blade-tech. I've had both kinda of fobus and will never spend a single cent with them again.

Listen to Jon I bought the same tibia holster you are talking about. The guys thought I was going to pull my pants off tryin to draw. I went and bought the cheaper blade tech and love it. Pundp not need that kind of retention for steel and idpa/uspsa matches