gunnarsport

How often you go to range?

Hi,

As a complete beginner here to handguns, I will have LOTS of questions as I start my process for FID/permit with my local police dept. I am in

Robbinsville, Mercer County.

So I was wondering how often does the typical NJGF handgun enthusiast go to the range to shoot....once a week?, every 2 weeks?, once a month??

I am just wondering how expensive this new hobby will be for me! And do I have to join a range with a yearly membership fee, or are there range

where you can just pay as you shoot?

I am purchasing my handgun strictly for recreational fun range shooting, hopefully both indoors and outdoors and maybe someday, being involved

in friendly competitive shooting. I DO NOT think I will have the gun set in my home up for self defense, as I am in extremely safe area and community.

Thanks

Michael

So I was wondering how often does the typical NJGF handgun enthusiast go to the range to shoot....once a week?, every 2 weeks?, once a month??

I try to go once a week/once every other week

I am just wondering how expensive this new hobby will be for me! And do I have to join a range with a yearly membership fee, or are there range

You can do either, but most private clubs will REQUIRE a membership but the upside is that you dont pay when you shoot. For example, bullet hole is ~$15/hour to shoot every time you go there. I pay $45 a year for 365 day/year unlimited access to a handgun range in bridgewater. It pays for itself after 3 hours/year!

As a total cheap a**, I will pipe in here.

I try to go every week. I shoot about 50-100 rds per if 9mm. From there it really depends on caliber. .45... maybe 50. Same with 10mm. I will try to make my practice really count for more with those calibers.

Rifle, totally depends on caliber versus current inventory in hy house. If I had 30-06 I would be stingy with it. 5.56... somewhat blaze away.

Now, for fun... get a .22 rifle or handgun. First because it will let you work on your shoting skills without hurting your pocketbook. Practice, buy another brick, practice some more then repeat. Get a good .22 rifle to fine tune your rifle skills. Get a dedicated .22lr upper or a whole handgun. Work on trigger control more then anything else. 1 hour will cost less then $5.

i missed about 5 weeks this winter but typically i go to the range no less than once per week and shoot one match per month. i can go through anywhere from 150-600 rounds at the range depending on what i'm practicing and if i have a good ammo reserve. Eighty to two hundred rounds at a match. i joined shore shot so it's the yearly fee, no cost to shoot. this year i expect to be costly as i plan to hit a lot of matches. which not only requires more money for ammo but match entry fees and registration with different organizations (i.e. GSSF, USPSA, IDPA) Of course, you also need to invest in holsters, mag holders, extra mags, belt, and ear and eye protection. dude...it just doesn't end.

sorry friend...you haven't chosen a cheap hobby. stick with smaller calibers and you can save yourself money. when you really get bitten by the bug, you'll start reloading...i'm just about there. i started going to the range friday nights so i'd stay out of the bars and save money. joke's on me. i should have kept drinking.

Hi,

As a complete beginner here to handguns, I will have LOTS of questions as I start my process for FID/permit with my local police dept. I am in

Robbinsville, Mercer County.

I am purchasing my handgun strictly for recreational fun range shooting, hopefully both indoors and outdoors and maybe someday, being involved

in friendly competitive shooting. I DO NOT think I will have the gun set in my home up for self defense, as I am in extremely safe area and community.

Thanks

Michael

I go once a week. Shoot my hanguns and rifle. Do about 100 to 200 rounds of 9mm, another 100 of .380 and then a couple hundred 22lr through the rifle. I also am picking up a 22lr pistol to add more range time and not kill my wallet.

Depending on you location and what ranges are around or clubs and what the cost also needs to be factored in. Shoot safe, aim small miss small.:icon_e_biggrin:

Harry

I first joined shore shot and shot there once a week last winter and spring and then ver the summer I joined Ft. Dix Rod and Gun and shot there twice a week.

I realized in December I could save myself a ton of gas money by joining Old Bridge Rifle Pistol, instead of driving an hour plus to the other two ranges. I've ended up going to the range more since it is so close to home. Im shooting at least one club event a week as well as two practice sessions during the week.

Joining the ranges are no bargain up front, but you pay once and cry once, instead of getting nickeled and dimed every time you decide you want to go shoot.

I try to shoot weekly and ammo use will vary between 100 and 500 rds depending on the guns I bring and how much bsing I do. Starting out you should shoot no more than 100 rds a session. This will keep you from getting tired and the frustration that follows. Make every shot count and it will pay off.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys!

It actually sound less expensive than cycling! Clothing, gear and equipment is quite expensive for my $4000.00 custom steel American made bike I

currently ride.

You should try out Hang Gliding, I thought it was going to be the cheepest form of aviation. On the good side it is the cheapest, but I'm still well over 20 grand into it over the last close to 20 years. Wow I never looked at it like that, a grand a year, heck that's not bad. :icon_e_biggrin:

Harry

I first joined shore shot and shot there once a week last winter and spring and then ver the summer I joined Ft. Dix Rod and Gun and shot there twice a week.

I realized in December I could save myself a ton of gas money by joining Old Bridge Rifle Pistol, instead of driving an hour plus to the other two ranges. I've ended up going to the range more since it is so close to home. Im shooting at least one club event a week as well as two practice sessions during the week.

Joining the ranges are no bargain up front, but you pay once and cry once, instead of getting nickeled and dimed every time you decide you want to go shoot.

I'm thinking about joining OBRPC, any chance you know how the indoor range is during the week in the mornings, Busy, all to your self???

Myself I belong to Shore Shot and really like the place, but with gas prices I can change my drive time to the range to 10-12 minutes vs 45+.

Harry

Not as much as I would like, too often according to my wife.

At least monthly. I also practice weekly doing dry fire drills / home made sims rounds and literally block out time on my calendar to do it.

I get out shooting 2-3 times a month, sometimes more depending on what time allows. I go to the range on my own and spend time with rifle and pistol shooting on my own terms. I shoot some sort of competition about once a month, sometimes more. I have been teaching a class a month so that gets me to the range but doesn't get me a whole lot of trigger time. I bring 22's each time I go, this gives me a cheap way to practice the fundimentals of shooting. I also bring out the big guns depending on what I want to do that day. I have been working through the NRA/Winchester marksmanship program and am almost finished the "Expert" qialifications with the pistol. I'm shooting "Marksman 1st Class" with the high power rifle and getting the appropriate targets for rimfire. Each trip is at least 100 rounds of ceenterfire for each and a few hundred rounds of 22. I'd love to shoot the shotgun more but the opportunities are limited in the area.

I try to get to the range once a week as I am trying a variety of different calibers and ammo in those calibers in order to firm up purchase decisions. With the 30 day rule in NJ and the permits good for 90 days without an extension it is good to know what you want to buy when the permits arrive. I missed the 30 day rule by 3 days and had to have one of the permits extended. They cannot be extended a second time.

I'm thinking about joining OBRPC, any chance you know how the indoor range is during the week in the mornings, Busy, all to your self???

Myself I belong to Shore Shot and really like the place, but with gas prices I can change my drive time to the range to 10-12 minutes vs 45+.

Harry

OBRPC Indoor during weekday mornings is pretty empty. Every now and there are 1-2 other members there but It's pretty much clear. I looked into Shore Shot as well but the savings in gas and drive time + outdoor range made me go with OBRPC which is just 10 minutes away from me.

Going back to the topic, I go at least once a week. I even went to the outdoor range with about a foot of snow on the ground. It was eerie quiet but had "blast" for the entire morning.

I have been trying to get there at least 3 times a month, but have been saddled doing some home repairs so unfortunately my range time has suffered. I usually go thru abt 100 rounds of each caliber in a mix of calibers, depending on what I feel like shooting. Usually the total is between 200 and 400 rounds.

Man, I feel bad for guys on such a ball and chain. You need to speak up for yourselves!

I would love to go to the range more often, but twice a month is my average. With ammo costs and being busy with work, it doesn't allow me a lot of free range time. Plus my girlfriend usually comes with me every other time, thank you very much :icon_e_biggrin:

I go to the range 3X a month. I would go 4 times, but I am on call one week a month. My wife never gives me a problem as she has her own hobbies. She is not a fan of shooting (yet), but one of my Christmas presents is that she will come and shoot with me and have an open mind about it. Hopefully she will find it enjoyable and want to continue...Then more toys :).

i usually go to the range onced a week, sometimes twice. Depends on what I am doing and what caliper I am shooting at the moment.

Lately, I have been testing different reloads, so I have been going more just to do a test.

I try to go once a week. The beauty of this hobby, as opposed to cars/bikes(I'm a gearhead, too) is that if money is tight, you can just dry-fire and not spend any money. You can decide how much you want to spend(after the initial purchase of your guns) by controlling your ammo usage.