Maksim

What is wrong with this state?

4 Dead and 8 Wounded in seperate shooting incidents this weekend, in 2 days in Newark.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/bloody_weekend_in_newark_as_vi.html

I would seriously now be worried to be walking down the street. This isnt even some chance... when there are 4 shootings a day in one town... wtf is going on.

I just can't understand how these thugs get guns with all the hoops they have to jump through to get their FPID'S! It doesn't make sense... the extra forms from their respective hood PD's should have identified them as poor choices for gun owners.

• Like 5

I just can't understand how these thugs get guns with all the hoops they have to jump through to get their FPID'S! It doesn't make sense... the extra forms from their respective hood PD's should have identified them as poor choices for gun owners.

And OGAM, how did that not stop them?! I bet they probably used 30 round assault clips in their fully automatic Glocks!!

/sarcasm

Seriously Maks, I don't know WTF to say. That's downright scary. If that kind of crap started happening in my town, I don't know what I would do...

The scary part...

Newark’s siege of violence over the past four days comes during a year that has seen a dramatic increase in crime following the layoff of more than 160 police officers. This year, violent crime — including homicides, shootings and assaults — was 21 percent higher during the first quarter than during the same period last year, and the murder rate was 71 percent higher, according to Newark Police figures.

The recent slayings make for a total of at least 35 homicides in Newark in 2011, according to the police and figures compiled by The Star-Ledger. Last summer — the city’s most violent since 1990 — there were 35 slayings. In 2010, a total of 85 people were killed in the city.

This year’s increase in violence follows the November layoff of more than 160 police officers. Arrests have also fallen steeply since the layoffs occurred.

yup. that makes perfect sense. our state denies us the means to protect ourselves probably with the notion that the law enforcement will do that and then they go and layoff more of said law enforcement.

edit: something tells me i might as well just staple a paper target to my shirt. help those bad guys out a little.

Damn ... and to think I barely got my PP, and these guys are getting their guns off the street without dealing with cops. Our state needs to wake up and let us arm ourselves against these types. IMO its probably a local gang that called for shootings as initiation, if there is anywhere in the state that shouldnt have laid off cops its Newark (and yes I know Camden and Irvington and other spots are worse but its the biggest city in our state WE NEED THE COPS THERE!!).

I grew up in East Orange and then Irvington (both towns border Newark for those who don't know) and at that time, you could literally buy a gun on practically any corner! Right after the riots in '69, we had people stopping at the gas station I worked at and would open their trunks to let you "shop" for whatever you wanted. I am pretty sure it hasn't changed all that much since?

A couple of weeks ago I had to drive through Newark on 21 to go to a funeral up north and my wife (who was born and raised in Orange)was scared to death.. and it was 10am. No way I could ever get her to go to the NJ PAC for a show. How sad this state has become.

A couple of weeks ago I had to drive through Newark on 21 to go to a funeral up north and my wife (who was born and raised in Orange)was scared to death.. and it was 10am. No way I could ever get her to go to the NJ PAC for a show. How sad this state has become.

And 21 is mostly quite tame!!

Once the violence escalates and spreads to the "nice" downtown areas, the white collar companies in the Newark skyscrapers will leave for safer (and cheaper) locations, and that'll be the end of Newark as a viable city.

• Like 1

You just know the politicians will always blame it on the guns, not their own failed policies and decisions.

Pretty sad state of affairs Newark is. State's largest city, and people strive to avoid it when ever possible. I know they are trying to turn things around with the heavy investments in cultural centers downtown, I hope they succeed. The one thing they have going for them is Newark Penn Station, where thousands of people are forced to travel through without a choice everyday, making it easier to recruit those people away from traveling to NYC for jobs in downtown Newark. Oh wait, there are no jobs, never-mind.

Not just here....Check Drudge for all these stories. It is a concerted yet un-planned but unofficial weekend of urban anarchy. Been going on for years... you just dont get much press from it nationally. See Freak-Nic in Atlanta in the 90s, Bike Week in atlantic Beach, SC; Birmingham Rib and Milkshake Festival.

"UPDATE: MIAMI 'WAR ZONE' DURING URBAN WEEKEND...

'I was scared for my life'...

Poet 'Da Real One' Gunned Down In Front Of Miami Poetry Cafe...

Violent crime explodes in Myrtle during Black Bike Week; 8-hour hell...

Rib Fest At Rochester beach turns rowdy...

Riot On Long Island...

Urban Melee In Charlotte...

Chaos causes DNC concern for convention...

Unruly urban crowd shuts down Nashville water park... "

I'm in Newark quite often for work. It's not really that bad. I got to NJPAC all the time, it's actually very quiet near njpac.

I regularly visit the Iron bound section to grocery shop and eat at several of our favorite restaurants and feel totally safe in that part of Newark, however I drive directly there and directly back to the turnpike,there is not much else that would interest me in Newark.

Meh. It's happened before in Newark and elsewhere, it will happen again. Remember Chicago had a spate of weekend shootings not too long ago? Camden? Hot or cold, drunk or sober, cops or no cops, black bikers, white bikers, teenagers, Spring breakers, whatever. These things happen, in this country.

Nope, and prob never will. No meal is worth going into that ****-hole. Plenty of great places to eat within 20 minutes of my front door.

Forgive me but unless you reside in Manhattan or Montreal.. I find that very hard to believe.