Ray Ray

slide release or sling shot on a 1911

I have always used the slide release on a pistol. But I was recently told that using the slide release lever on a 1911 it will cause the steel to wear down after continuous use. Is this true?

Do you mean on the release, the slide or both? I assume that could be true with all the tension on it, but that goes for anything I guess.

I mean the slide, since the actual slide release lever can easily be replaced.

Always slingshot, only because that teeny little button may be hard to get at under stress. BUT, it's whatever works best for you and what you're comfortable with.

I've never had a problem finding the slide release. Repetition is key to handling a firearm.

I've heard a variety of things on the subject. On a modern well-built pistol it shouldn't matter. My favorite comment is when people say always slingshot because it's a gross motor skill. Slingshot and Slide release techniques are both fine motor skills.

The way my rationale works is that since i'm slingshotting to charge the pistol, i should also slingshot to RE-CHARGE the pistol. It's what' i'm comfortable with. If you've trained to hit that slide release time after time, then there's no reason for you to change up your manual of arms.

Think about this... You can drop the slide quicker using the slide stop because you don't have to move your off hand to the back of the slide and can start returning your off hand to your two handed grip.

Ideally, don't shoot until slide lock and reload while you still have one in the chamber.

Now Ray- you're are a lefty correct? I really don't know what to say...

I made this vid a while back for a discussion regarding which would be faster, a reload or dropping a pistol and picking up another. I contended the reload would be faster. At any rate I favor the slide release because I feel its quicker than overhand or slingshot and I feel it keeps me closer to firing position.

Think about this... You can drop the slide quicker using the slide stop because you don't have to move your off hand to the back of the slide and can start returning your off hand to your two handed grip.

Ideally, don't shoot until slide lock and reload while you still have one in the chamber.

Now Ray- you're are a lefty correct? I really don't know what to say...

Lefty's can use their trigger finger to release..The dam thing is right their anyway might as well use it..

I use neither method with my Glock. I just slap the mag in. The inertia causes the slide to retract enough on its own to release from the lock and chamber the round.

This happens with my 97b, but only that pistol of mine. I don't like it, and it throws me off when it happens.

I use neither method with my Glock. I just slap the mag in. The inertia causes the slide to retract enough on its own to release from the lock and chamber the round.

My sig will do this 75% of the time, not enough for me to be comfortable relying on. I personally like to hold the gun by the slide with my right hand and then gently smack the grip so it slingshots backwards to me as I release the slide. Then, with the momentum the pistol gains from the frame sliding back I catch it with my right hand which has been looped under my right leg (to create a steady mount to fire from of course), and then I step down with my right leg, pivot on it 325 degrees and dazzle my foe (paper target) with my style and panache. To each their own I suppose.

• Like 2

Never let the gun go dry, count your rounds.

If there is an issue, always rack the slide, so the same process for all.

If the gun does go dry, sometimes enough force the slide will go forward on its own....but start with one in the pipe. =P

Realistically (which is not real at all, just sayin), If I was in a defensive shootout I won't be counting my rounds. I'm gonna shoot until empty and then reload. If your counting rounds during a gun battle then either you've been in many before or you where going in battle because your nuts.

thanks everyone, interesting points on boff sides

Never let the gun go dry, count your rounds.

If there is an issue, always rack the slide, so the same process for all.

If the gun does go dry, sometimes enough force the slide will go forward on its own....but start with one in the pipe. =P

There you go Maks...We agree. Not shooting until lock I mentioned in post #10. This is a good example of competition to real life crossover.

There you go Maks...We agree. Not shooting until lock I mentioned in post #10. This is a good example of competition to real life crossover.

At some point in time you will have an empty gun with the slide open and nothing in the chamber, even when playing weekend gunfighter.

Realistically (which is not real at all, just sayin), If I was in a defensive shootout I won't be counting my rounds. I'm gonna shoot until empty and then reload. If your counting rounds during a gun battle then either you've been in many before or you where going in battle because your nuts.

thanks everyone, interesting points on boff sides

+1 for that. in a shtf situation it will it will happen so fast you won't even think about the rounds. Our you might try to but loose count. If you think you fired most of the rounds in the mag but have cover drop it and pocket it. And put in fresh. The otger thing that might happen is is so fast you empty the mag then pull the trigger again regen the slide is opennot even thinking. It just happens so fast and with so much going on one will forget most of what the practice.