Ray Ray

Bad gun purchases

Well, I guess I'd ask if anyone has any stories of bad gun purchases. What gun did you buy that just didn't shoot right or was a piece of crap from the start. Unfortunately, my list has a few guns on it but that's just my luck.

Ruger Mk II, Charter Arms Southpaw, GP1975 (AK variant), MPA 380 protector. All failed me and all went bye-bye.

Mossberg plinkster its a 22lr my first rifle purchase. Bought gun put in scope order 15 magazines for it at 15 bucks a pop and every Mag I get ftf and fte. I guess with price of 22 its not bad but still a pia. Not really worth selling but more like a reminder to research

Years ago I found a "deal". 5 Romanian 1969 Trainers for $200. I figured I could get 3 of them shooting using parts from all the guns. WRONG!!! The same part on all of them was broken, the spring follower inside the bolt. I was able to get 2 extra bolts on eBay (back when they weren't so anal) and I was able to get 2 spring followers machined.

My $200 "deal" ended up costing me $500 (handeling was 70, bolts, machining, motrin, etc...).

The Romanian bolts are not always interchangable, neither are the inner parts. I had to tear down the bolts, fit the parts, sand, file and reassemble. Ugh.

It was a good learning experience n

Ray, I hope you realize that your picture will likely haunt you forever. Don't be too surprised if it shows up at your daughters wedding.

We might have created the next big internet meme... haha, Ray will be forever immortalized by the very people he "taunts." This epiphany is glorious :icon_twisted:

And to not completely sidetrack this thread, not me personally, but I've had a good friend go back and forth with his armorer and Sig about why his pistol (>500 rounds) was FTE/FTFing constantly. Pretty painful to watch the whole thing develop (though it was finally resolved after months).

I received a shotgun in a trade, and when I went to break it down, I found out that when it was painted by the prior seller. They either didn't let the paint set correctly, or didn't coat it correctly and the paint would melt when fired, and the parts had gotten stuck together. After a good bit of manhandling, to include Mr. Ray's help, we were able to break it apart. The shotgun worked fine, just was a slightly amusing after-the-fact incident.

• Like 1

We might have created the next big internet meme... haha, Ray will be forever immortalized by the very people he "taunts." This epiphany is glorious :icon_twisted:

Please stay on topic.

• Like 1

I've bought plenty of guns that weren't right for me, but no outright lemons.

I did learn that, as a lefty, I can't work the controls on a Sig worth a damn. And I don't like nose heavy, unbalance (IMO) guns.

• Like 1

I've bought plenty of guns that weren't right for me, but no outright lemons.

I did learn that, as a lefty, I can't work the controls on a Sig worth a damn. And I don't like nose heavy, unbalance (IMO) guns.

Unfortunately, your right. slide-stop in the wrong spot, decocker impossible to reach. but still good guns

I had a Springfield Loaded in 9mm. The stupid thing would not feed 115 grain, even after two trips back to the factory. It would only take 148grain and sometimes 124grain. I sold it. I don't know if that qualifies as a lemon or a finicky target gun.

Not so far, but I haven't been shooting/buying all that long. Everything I've had so far

has been awesome. I only sold my HK cause I needed the money to get other things. Nothing

wrong with it, I just liked shooting my other guns a little better and it slowly saw less

range time. I'm not much of a collector.

My buddy that introduced me to shooting pistols told me you get what you pay for. I follow this rule, do my research, and it has served me well. My only issue was with magazines causing failure to feed in my S&W 22A. A pointer from our benefactor about using sandpaper helped smooth that problem out. ;) Other than that I stay away from Hi-point, Charter Arms, and any other discount firearms.

I know i didn't buy it buy i inherited a s&w model 36 from my grandfather.

I dont know what he was thinking carrying this thing. you literally (literally!) cant hit the side of a barn with it from 40 yards.

Everyone and their brother says to me "no no no thats a great gun it will hit the same hole 5 times from 20yards" blah blah blah basically blaming the inaccuracy on me. So I let then shoot it and embarras themselves. There is no pattern or method to the lunacy and it doesnt matter what ammo you feed it.

I would love to sell it but i just cant bring myself to :(

I know i didn't buy it buy i inherited a s&w model 36 from my grandfather.

I dont know what he was thinking carrying this thing. you literally (literally!) cant hit the side of a barn with it from 40 yards.

Everyone and their brother says to me "no no no thats a great gun it will hit the same hole 5 times from 20yards" blah blah blah basically blaming the inaccuracy on me. So I let then shoot it and embarras themselves. There is no pattern or method to the lunacy and it doesnt matter what ammo you feed it.

I would love to sell it but i just cant bring myself to :(

I would find a good S&W gunsmith or send it to s&w to get fixed. I would never sell something like that and would pay whatever it took to get it running right.

I would find a good S&W gunsmith or send it to s&w to get fixed. I would never sell something like that and would pay whatever it took to get it running right.

I could never sell it. Even if it just sits on a self forever. Only becuase it belonged to my grandfather and he carried it when he was the chief.

The problem is there isn't anything wrong with it.... cylinder lockup is tight, everything runs smoothly and the timing is good. The barrel looks fine it has very pronounced rifling and is very smooth. I know my grandfather didn't put very many rounds through it. probably less then the 2-300 I have

I made one purchase I sort of regretted.

Had a chance for a clean, used Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays 12 ga., w/ 30" tubes some years ago. At the time, it "felt good" when I pulled it off the rack, brought it to my shoulder and sighted on imaginary clay birds. I envisioned using it for doubles trap at handicap distances. Well, I shot trap with it a couple of years, even skeet with the full & full tubes to sharpen my skills, but I could never get to like it. The Ruger had the refinement and personality of an I-beam. Overly-built, and crude compared to other doubles I've shot. It was no Browning Superposed Broadway. Its fate was sealed after a day of pheasant hunting upstate. That day it was ponderous to lug around and I decided in an instant it wasn't for me anymore.