No problem guys. Everyone should try a .44 Magnum sometime. It isn't for everyone, my wife barely shoots .357 Magnum.

I need new eyes, all my shots were at 11 o'clock again. :(

If I don't go to Lehigh tomorrow with my favorite gun I may go back to OB and practice with some handguns.

Awesome, got my steel via relay with knuckle sandwich...thanks again Dan...and thank you Harry for setting this all up. Only thing, I wish the holes weren't so close together(thats what she said lol). Personally I would of liked each hole down and out another 1/2" to help separate the hardware a lil more...I'm totally not an expert on this, just something I noticed right away when I saw it.

My thought also at first, but very easily fixed. Just get one of those multi-hole bars for garage door openers from homedespot. You can then place the chain anywhere, or even attach two plates to the bar.

My thought also at first, but very easily fixed. Just get one of those multi-hole bars for garage door openers from homedespot. You can then place the chain anywhere, or even attach two plates to the bar.

Theres another idea, thanks.

I think its advisable to keep the plate mounted in such a way it gives when you shoot it, If I recall correctly you are more likely to damage it with the heavy stuff if it wont "give" while shot. Hanging it is the best, rigidly mounting it with bolts to something, ehh.... Although, it is 1/2" and not the usual 3/8" so who knows

Also, rotate it every few thousand rounds. The plate will actually begin to curve out from the face (towards the shooting side) because the impacts stretch the surface. Well, at least thats what I've read elsewhere, but it costs you nothing but about 2 seconds of your time so why not :unknw:

Heres my mock up before paint...thoughts? Its not so rigid to where it won't move, but the spacer between the chains is enough to slow down the swaying if I clip the sides.

IMAG0380.jpg

That's a real good idea. I might have to steal it. :)

I plan on using more of a carriage-bolt type bolt instead. Knowing how far-off MY aim is, I know I would be hitting the 3/8" hex heads from time to time which will richochette. The other type of bolt head shouldn't.

Alec and Ray Ray won't have to worry about it though. ;)

I plan on using more of a carriage-bolt type bolt instead. Knowing how far-off MY aim is, I know I would be hitting the 3/8" hex heads from time to time which will ricochet. The other type of bolt head shouldn't.

Interesting, good to know. I had the hardware already, good reminder next time I make a home depot run.

Glad you got them Frank, I had a little fun today, did 2 test stands that holds a section of angle iron with holes so I can have a bunch of plates like a plate rack, 1 little changes and I could have them as knock down plates. BC-Oops was at the range and got to plink them a few times. One thing, I had my 12" plates drying so I just brought the raw steel to the range, don't do that, paint it, really hard to see with out the paint.

Either way, have a few parts to pick up tomorrow morning and I'll be able to finish the other 5 holders for single pieces of steel, then I'll be able to set up WCS stages. So for folks who want to get together I will have a rack for plates, 5 single plate holders, and 6 IPSC target stands I made out of PVC, just need to pick up some more cardboard from Costco to finish them up. So get together's to shoot at OB will be happening soon in January.

• Like 1

Glad you got them Frank, I had a little fun today, did 2 test stands that holds a section of angle iron with holes so I can have a bunch of plates like a plate rack, 1 little changes and I could have them as knock down plates. BC-Oops was at the range and got to plink them a few times. One thing, I had my 12" plates drying so I just brought the raw steel to the range, don't do that, paint it, really hard to see with out the paint.

Either way, have a few parts to pick up tomorrow morning and I'll be able to finish the other 5 holders for single pieces of steel, then I'll be able to set up WCS stages. So for folks who want to get together I will have a rack for plates, 5 single plate holders, and 6 IPSC target stands I made out of PVC, just need to pick up some more cardboard from Costco to finish them up. So get together's to shoot at OB will be happening soon in January.

That's so cool! You're my hero!

These plates are awesome! took some abuse last week @ CJRPC. We had 3 8" plates out at 150/200 yards. My buddy rigged up a PVC stand to hold 2 of the plates, worked great until someone shot the pvc pipe, but $1.00 later it was fixed. The second attempt was using a plant hanger and some wire, hanger looked like one of these from HD;

image_014.gif

This idea worked great, until the plate turned sideways and while trying :haha: to turn the plate with my .308 I shot the holder and broke it clean in half. I did manage to hit the side (edge) of the plate @ 200 at 150yds, and left a small dent in the edge of the plate. We will try again with a piece of chain instead of the wire holding the plate on. it was cheap and easy, like Ray Ray..

The other nice this is the plant hanger flex's/bends a bit when the plate is hit, so the force is not all taken by the plate.

Range report:

Slight scrape marks from 223. No problem using the hex bolts. Then I tried the 7mag, put a 5/8" crater about 3/8" deep and dimpled the back, this at 100 yards with one shot. Need to hold off on those, but still very fun!

Thank you again for putting this together!

Range report:

Slight scrape marks from 223. No problem using the hex bolts. Then I tried the 7mag, put a 5/8" crater about 3/8" deep and dimpled the back, this at 100 yards with one shot. Need to hold off on those, but still very fun!

Thank you again for putting this together!

7mm 08? That is a good caliber. Not for this steel though. Stick with pistol calibers or rifle rounds past 100 yards.

I spent the afternoon with my son shooting .22 lr rifles at the 50yrd bay at OBRPC. We were originally shooting clay pigeons. When I got tired of replacing targets, I decided to set-up one plate using a piece of rope and a 1x2 piece of wood. It lasted for a few hundred rounds and there's nothing like the ping of steel when you hit it. My son and I were all smiles the entire time.