9milninja

Possible new 9mm. Ideas?

My father (DblEGT) and I are in the market for a possible new 9mm pistol. We own a Beretta 92a1 which has been great to us. We came to that choice through process of elimination and we plan to do the same again. Suggest a pistol and why it would be a good choice, and we might try it at the range next time we go. Some people might suggest the M&P9 but I don't really like it at all. In my opinion (S&W lovers might get mad) the M&P9 felt cheap, and dinky. So leave a sugestion for a good pistol and why it is good. Our current ideas are these, but we're open to suggestions:

- Glock 17

- XD or XDM

- CZ

- Beretta Px4

Thanks

Well..... since you dont like the M&P.....LOL

I will post another choice, which is as comfortable as the M&P...

HK P30L

That P30 feels like nothing else. Check one out.

If you thought the M&P felt cheap, you can scrach all those off your list. To me anyway they each felt cheaper than the M&P. Maybe check out a Sig P226, very solid.

Take a look at the PX4 Compact. It has the same controls as the 92FS, is a little smaller than the PX4 Full Size but retains the rotating barrel, and comes with Jersey Legal 15 round magazines. It's a fine shooter.

I just got my Walther PPQ great alternate choice for a striker pistol love mine and I know pretty much everyone here that bought one loves theirs as well. I have the PX4 full size and its great gun but this is lighter and better ergonomics in my opinion.

Just shot an FNH FNX 9 at Heritage Guild in Easton. That's a fantastic polymer pistol, handles recoil really well for its size (equivalent to a Glock 19) and its got a really nice DA/SA trigger. Felt smoother than my worked over CZ even. This really helped me get some impressive accuracy. The only downside, no NJ compliant mags...although you can find vendors on here that will pin them for you.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Definately some to try out. The Sigs and the H&K's are a bit out of the price range. I felt the sig was a bit clunky when i shot it. Definately might consider that PX4 though

PX4 is a great pistol and unique that it has a rotating barrel design. Great balance and feel. Also lightweight for it's size and design.

There is a all metal version of the PX4, which is the Stoegar Cougar. Actually, the PX4 is a poly version of the Cougar since the Cougar came first. It also uses the rotating barrel design. The cougar was first made by Beretta, then Beretta sold off the the machines and rights to the Stoegar Industries. The stoegar Cougar is still essentially a Beretta.

Cougar and PX4:

b70yfn.jpg

Cougar with a Cougar:

2ch6p2f.jpg

Im all for the XD...It's a great gun, great trigger, low recoil, and a pleasure to shoot.

Looks wise they aren't too bad, but they are one of the most unnatural pointing pistols I've ever shot with that ridiculously high bore axis. It feels and looks like the slide is 3 inches high off the frame!

As ugly as I feel the PX4 looks I'm oddly fascinated by its design. I really want to try one out.

I tend to shoot ugly guns well (read: Glocks, XDs).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Just back from the range. That G19 is so much fun.

th_GwithG1.jpg

Looks wise they aren't too bad, but they are one of the most unnatural pointing pistols I've ever shot with that ridiculously high bore axis. It feels and looks like the slide is 3 inches high off the frame!

I know a few people who own one, or shot mine, and all love it.

I didn't mind the SW 5906 after I finally got some trigger time. Good weight, and the pistol felt comfortable and natural without too much thinking.

And now that I finally own one, I can vouch for Glocks. Only discrepancy is that I own a 19 and not too familiar with 17's. I have owned an XD for a few years, and I learned that I wasn't a fan of the taller axis over bore-- but that isn't a negative, just a personal opinion.