Pizza Bob

Largest Caliber Rifle You've Shot?

As result of some of the responses to my .950 JDJ rifle thread, I thought I'd ask the question in the title.

I'll start it off. Had a friend who wanted a Ruger #1 in .45-70 in the worst way. Happened upon him one day at the range. He saw me coming and held aloft a Ruger #1. I said that I was glad he'd found one. "Well, not exactly" he replied. Couldn't find a .45-70 so he settled on what he thought was second best......a .458 Win Mag. #1's are notorious for their recoil as it is, but one in .458, sheeze. He asked if I wanted to shoot it. I asked what kind of ammo he had. 500 gr solids, of course. I said that I'd shoot it just once - just to say I had. He encouraged me to shoot it off the bench. I knew that was a recipe for a dislocated shoulder, so stood on my own two feet and touched it off. Just once, that was enough. I'm sure that if you had a bull elephant charging at you, you wouldn't even be conscious of the recoil. But this was in the wilds of central PA and we were shooting paper. It hurt.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

It seems that laying prone would be the best way to shoot these.

I don't think so. If your prone there is nowhere for the recoil to go but straight back into your shoulder. Same reason you don't want to shoot it from a bench. If you are standing the muzzle can rise and you can rock back at the waist, dissipating a great deal of the recoil.

I've had the chance to fondle a .50BMG Barrett M82__ rifle, but never fired one. Current largest caliber would be a 7.62x51 or 7.62x54, both of which I fired on the same day.

I do wanna try a .300 win mag or .338 lapua mag, but I'm looking for guns I can own that I can realistically shoot, both comfort-wise and cost-per-shot-wise. Ammo like the .300winmag and .338lapua are at the upper limits as to what I'm looking to spend on a rifle cartridge... Hell, currently, largest caliber rifle I own is a .223 bolt, and I'm looking into .22-250, .17 (not sure what type of .17 yet), and .308 rifles for the next rifles I get.

That said, I would still wanna try shooting an Barrett M82... I think I'll pass on the .950 for now.

So Bob, did you get a A hit or could you not tell??? :o

Well, since you asked.....actually I cut the ten ring at 100 yds with iron sights. I was much younger (and foolish) then, and could still see.

Probably the worst recoiling would be 3" 1900fps sbot slugs form a shotgun.

marlin .444 out of a 6.5lb gun (loaded) would be number two.

Barrett m82-a1 for third. It really feels mostly like shooting a shotgun with your standard 1oz slug.

45-70

50 cal muzzle loaders too, but that 45-70 still was a brute

I guess I should go back to my Coastie roots and mention my M2 50 trigger time, although it was just a few rounds at a buoy gone astray.

I guess I should go back to my Coastie roots and mention my M2 50 trigger time, although it was just a few rounds at a buoy gone astray.

Does artillery count? I've fired or helped fire a few thousand rounds from M107 guns (175mm) and M110 howitzers (203mm). Thousands of rds of 105mm howitzer plus almost a couple thousand rounds from a M2 in SE Asia in the 60s. Other than that 460 Weatherby has been the biggest.

• Like 1

Uncle let me shoot lots of big guns. On the bigger side, I got to shoot a RAI .50 BMG, M2 .50 BMG, and Mk19 40mm among others.I carried a 203 for a few years as well. My largest personally owned weapon was an EDM Arms in .408 CheyTac.