Pizza Bob

Largest Caliber Rifle You've Shot?

Not a rifle, but a malfunctioning, both barrels at the same time, O/U 12GA with 3.5" 00 Buckshot.

Ohh an unregistered machinegun????? :keeporder::p

Seriously though I DO have one better than that..I once shot a .500 Nitro Double Rifle, who's owner FAILED to tell me was malf'ing the same way with 570gr solids. Shoulder felt (and looked) like a Mule kicked me, i had a nosebleed for about 2 hours, and looking back, probably a mild concussion since my ears rang and my vision was blurry for a couple of days.....about the only smart thing i did was take the scope off, or i probably would have managed a broken orbit as well.

Biggest NON-injurious round was a .460 Weatherby magnum

Ohh an unregistered machinegun????? :keeporder::p

Seriously though I DO have one better than that..I once shot a .500 Nitro Double Rifle, who's owner FAILED to tell me was malf'ing the same way with 570gr solids. Shoulder felt (and looked) like a Mule kicked me, i had a nosebleed for about 2 hours, and looking back, probably a mild concussion since my ears rang and my vision was blurry for a couple of days.....about the only smart thing i did was take the scope off, or i probably would have managed a broken orbit as well.

Biggest NON-injurious round was a .460 Weatherby magnum

The guy that set you up with that rifle deserved to be **** slapped...

I'd like to disagree. When prone, the stock is contacting your collar bone. Standing, it's contacting the meat between your chest and shoulder.

Standing is waay better, correct sir. Going prone or on the bench gets painful after a few rounds.

• Like 1

The guy that set you up with that rifle deserved to be **** slapped...

i probably would have..if i could see straight....talk about getting your Bell rung..thing was i'd shot one before (Bolt Gun) so while I was EXPECTING recoil, i wasnt expecting THAT Recoil... i;ve got a .300 WM that i shoot currently with 190's, over the next couple of years i PLAN to add a .338 LM and maybe a .50 BMG into the safe, but with the right rifle the recoil actually isnt that bad with any of those...my days of the "Hey Y'all watch THIS" i've definitly outgrown though.

For a rifle, I shot my 8mm mauser. When we went to the range, my friend brought his 30-06 Weatherby, which is slightly smaller, but definitely had more kick. I mean, we did fire a rifled slug out of a shotgun, not sure what caliber that would be though.

.50 Barrett (a friend's) with Barrett Ball Ammo which was around 700 grains I think. The muzzle break on that gun is like an Abrams Tank! Stand right behind the Shooter and you're O-K. Stand at a 45 degree angle to the muzzle and it gets incredably LOUD incredibly FAST! Trick to operating that gun is just to "take the ride" and NOT jerk the trigger. My shot hit square in the center of the forehead of the Perp on a full-size hostage target.

My brother held the semi-auto version off-hand and took a shot. His one-word response was, "WOW!".

Dave

The main gun on an M551 which is just a big rifle at 152mm, and the main gun on an M48, M60 and M1 tanks, I pulled the trigger on about 250 and fired another 750 at my command. at about $500 a shot. A tank is a direct fire weapon which shoots at targets it can see. Couldn't count 50cal or 7.62. M203 grenade launcher 40mm. biggest rifle in the safe 8mm mauser.

TC

The main gun on an M551 which is just a big rifle at 152mm, and the main gun on an M48, M60 and M1 tanks, I pulled the trigger on about 250 and fired another 750 at my command. at about $500 a shot. A tank is a direct fire weapon which shoots at targets it can see. Couldn't count 50cal or 7.62. M203 grenade launcher 40mm. biggest rifle in the safe 8mm mauser.

TC

I was hoping a tanker would respond.

Check this baby out. They're calling "IT" a .950 JDJ. No clue as to the application other than just 'cause. I wonder why the guy is telling the shooter to lock slowly at 2:36. ? hehe.

• Like 1

I was hoping a tanker would respond.

Check this baby out. They're calling "IT" a .950 JDJ. No clue as to the application other than just 'cause. I wonder why the guy is telling the shooter to lock slowly at 2:36. ? hehe.

Gold Bless Amurica!

Don't mean to change the subject but I think the sub title is about recoil. Caliber is not the whole story.

My bolt Tikka 308WIN at only 6 lbs with a crappy factory hard butt pad gave me a black n blue shoulder. Now I have a new liquid filled pad.

They call it a 'lite' and it sure is too lite.

All is good now.

Didn't occur to me how limited my rifle shooting experience has been till I thought my answer to this thread.

If shotgun slugs count, 12guage slugs out of my 20" mossberg 500a take it for both projectile size & recoil

If not, a .50cal muzzle loader is the largest caliber, but the recoil wasn't even on part with heavy hunting loads through a .30-30 lever action.

If we are talking plain-old smokeless powder modern cartridge rifle, no MGs, no BP, no cannon, no shotgun, no DD, no big and slow early American rounds, then I guess it would be the plain ole' .30-06/.303/8mm/ and lastley (whatever cal)Mauser.

No magnum cals for me yet. Just the old fashioned stuff.

That is about to change in a big way very soon.

.50 Barret M82/107 (not sure which it was) at demilled tanks at several hundred yards, the recoil really is nothing on that thing thanks largely to the MASSIVE muzzle break and recoil buffer, though I did almost watch a cross-eye-dominant coworker lose an eye socket to it. I've also shot a 40mm M203 several times, and the Milcor 40mm 6-shooter (that thing is heavy as all get out), I'm still trying to get my hands on a Mk19 GMG . I've shot plenty of standard military rifles and MGs like most others here so I won't even list them.

As for recoil, the worst thing that I've shot yet is my own .308 bolt action Marlin. With only a synthetic stock and no recoil management features, it kicks like a mule. My friend's Garand with a steel butt-plate is like a stuffed animal compared to it. I can only imagine what a bolt .338 or something must feel like.