this_is_nascar

Your Opinion - Beretta 92FS as 1st 9MM Handgun

I think the M9 is a good looking handgun and well made. For me the trigger reach is a bit far so I do not shoot it well. I also do not like the slide mounted safety/decoker. It's in the way when you want to rack or slingshot the slide under pressure and it's also easy to accidentally put it on safe. The way the locking system works does make slide operation seem super smooth - light slide and lack of barrel tilt during slide movement.

The way the locking system is designed makes it slightly less accurate than guns like 1911/Glocks/Sig P/CZ 75, etc because the front of the barrel does not get firmed locked up to the slide when in battery. Army marksman competition shooters would have a gunsmith put a cone aroud the tip of the barrel so it locks into the slide more solidly. Of course for regular joes like us I don't think it matters that much since it sure is more accurate than I am.

I never got a great grip on the Beretta. I have big hands but stubby fingers. To me, you at least need fingers on the longer side to grasp the grip and have some room left to get your finger pad on the trigger. It's not to say I can't shoot it OK. It just does not reach out and grab me and say "See how well I fit in your hand. I was built just for you." The Glock doesn't either (even though I shot my G34 really well for me). The S&W M&P comes close. The CZ does that perfectly. If you can pair the perfect fit with good shootability, you have found your gun. For me, the CZ P01 is the perfect meshing of both. I still need more time with the M&P to make that decision. Hence, my Glocks and Berettas are sold. The CZs and S&W have not been.

I agree with lunker. Look into CZ, they are the most underated handguns IMO. Most people think Sigs/HK are well made but after owning a CZ they are just as good, might have rougher finishes on parts you can't see but that does not really matter.

It fits like a BHP but with a much nicer trigger. The only downside I found for the CZ 75 is that they are not light and the reverse mounted slide (frame around slide a la Sig 210) make it very diffecult to grab and rack the slide in a hurry. For the weight they also offer a polymer framed handgun.

I never got a great grip on the Beretta. I have big hands but stubby fingers. To me, you at least need fingers on the longer side to grasp the grip and have some room left to get your finger pad on the trigger. It's not to say I can't shoot it OK. It just does not reach out and grab me and say "See how well I fit in your hand. I was built just for you." The Glock doesn't either (even though I shot my G34 really well for me). The S&W M&P comes close. The CZ does that perfectly. If you can pair the perfect fit with good shootability, you have found your gun. For me, the CZ P01 is the perfect meshing of both. I still need more time with the M&P to make that decision. Hence, my Glocks and Berettas are sold. The CZs and S&W have not been.

I have yet to actually shoot a CZ 75, but I have held one and I agree that they feel VERY nice in the hand. The ergos are great. A CZ-75B or an SP-01 are in my future for sure... Also the M&P's are very nice... I've shot the M&P9 and really loved the feel of the gun and shot very well with it. So.... probably see one of those in my future too! LOL!

I have yet to actually shoot a CZ 75, but I have held one and I agree that they feel VERY nice in the hand. The ergos are great. A CZ-75B or an SP-01 are in my future for sure... Also the M&P's are very nice... I've shot the M&P9 and really loved the feel of the gun and shot very well with it. So.... probably see one of those in my future too! LOL!

Tony, you ever find yourself up at OB for a USPSA match or one of the steel matches and I'm there you can shoot my CZ 75-TS and/or my CZ 85B Combat.

Also the CZ 75-TS might go up for sale later this year also, as a heads up.

Tony, you ever find yourself up at OB for a USPSA match or one of the steel matches and I'm there you can shoot my CZ 75-TS and/or my CZ 85B Combat.

Also the CZ 75-TS might go up for sale later this year also, as a heads up.

Thanks, Harry!

As an entry level gun owner the best (and only) advice is to go to your local range, spend 60 bucks on renting 4 or so pistols and weighing your own opinion on which one you feel most comfortable with. If you only plan on buying one pistol.. make it the one you are most comfortable with shooting. I did the aforementioned and ran through the list of all of the above +1 not mentioned and settled for that +1. So as obvious as the previous posts before mine, there are those that have found THEIR handgun that's their go to piece. You go out and put some rounds down range with an assortment of guns and see which one best suits you.

~advice form a n00b~

As an entry level gun owner the best (and only) advice is to go to your local range, spend 60 bucks on renting 4 or so pistols and weighing your own opinion on which one you feel most comfortable with. If you only plan on buying one pistol.. make it the one you are most comfortable with shooting. I did the aforementioned and ran through the list of all of the above +1 not mentioned and settled for that +1. So as obvious as the previous posts before mine, there are those that have found THEIR handgun that's their go to piece. You go out and put some rounds down range with an assortment of guns and see which one best suits you.

~advice form a n00b~

Noob or not, it's good advice. Run to Shore Shot and try every gun they have on their wall in a single caliber, and it will be a $10 rental as long as you stay with the same caliber. Even if you don't find the "one", it may give you an idea of what you like versus what you don't (i.e. metal vs plastic, hammer vs striker, fat grips vs slender, fixed sights vs adjustable, etc).

All the gun mag articles and YouTube vids in the world aren't going to put the damn gun in your hand and let you shoot it.

• Like 1

I have the 92G. It's super reliable. The thing is definitely a workhorse.

There's actually a big competitive following for it too as there are tons

of competitive mods/packages for the 92 series. Like the others said

try both and see which one you like better. You can't really go wrong

either way.

~advice form a n00b~

That, and get yourself to the range when some of the forum guys are there on a meetup. I promise, they'll be pushing guns into your hand for you to try, and there will likely be a far larger selection than any rental rack can offer. Everyone here is happy to share their guns with anyone who's trying to decide what works for them, and will point out any peculiarities about any of their guns. Take a notepad. You'll come away with far more information than you could get anywhere else.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys, but for whatever reason, this thread has morphed into a "which 9mm should I buy" thread, instead of the intended purpose of specifically asking about opinions/comments on the Beretta 92FS :).

It always does. Get used to it.

That, and get yourself to the range when some of the forum guys are there on a meetup. I promise, they'll be pushing guns into your hand for you to try, and there will likely be a far larger selection than any rental rack can offer. Everyone here is happy to share their guns with anyone who's trying to decide what works for them, and will point out any peculiarities about any of their guns. Take a notepad. You'll come away with far more information than you could get anywhere else.

Thats one thing I think we all can agree on. Dont spend money. Come get with some of us.

What's your thought and opinions of a Beretta 92FS as a 1st and probably only, 9mm handgun?

Hi!

I currently have only 8 handguns. Sig, Colt, S & W and Beretta. My 92 FS Inox is my favorite to shoot. Can't go wrong with a 92FS if it feels good in your hand.

Just my ever so humble opinion. :yes:

Glocks, HK, and Sig hold value. The Beretta not so much. That being said I love my 92FS, but not more than my Glocks.

What on earth makes you say that beretta's don't hold their value in comparison to other companies? Everything has a depreciation value, and they don't cost a whole lot to begin with...

I love my M9A1, the slide is smooth as glass, crisp trigger break, D spring really helps D/A. The added weight really helps with recoil, easy to find cheap 15rd mags. lots of grip selections to find something that makes it fit your hand even better. Easy to clean/strip. I like the thumb operated saftey, i can go from safe to read to fire with one flick not having to move my trigger finger. It's not a competition pistol, and built for reliability, yet it is more accurate then i will probably ever be.

Did i mention you will be using a pistol that our armed forces having been using for decades now?

I did not buy a 92fs to carry, nor would i ever carry it with a ccw, however, i would not choose any other 9mm to carry if SHTF, it is battle proven.

If i wanted something to carry it would be a PX4 , in .45 :icon_e_biggrin:

... but it shouldn't.

Maybe, but it never will work that way. Actually is all the thread were just a question and answer you would have 2 or 3 post threads and thats it and no real shall we call it, atmosphere around here.

Put it this way, take the OP, Post #2 say good gun, Post #3 says Crap Gun. Well there you go thread done done and over.. :wacko:

I can see how it happens... favorable opinions lead to justification of the gun at hand, whereas the negative opinions of it usually lead to a recommendation the person replying believes to be more suitable. It doesnt mean either side is wrong or right.. especially in a market where variety is the spice of life. :p

I can see how it happens... favorable opinions lead to justification of the gun at hand, whereas the negative opinions of it usually lead to a recommendation the person replying believes to be more suitable. It doesnt mean either side is wrong or right.. especially in a market where variety is the spice of life. :p

Well said.

I have one, actually, the wife has one, but she doesn't like it, I do. She prefers revolvers. That being said, you (the OP) can see some of us like the 92FS, maybe some don't, but it helps to know what they are comparing it to, no? I only have one 9mm and it is a 92FS, I have never held nor shot another 9mm so I can't compare it to anything else. Well, I did shoot a 90-TWO, but it is a very similar gun and it felt the same as the 92FS.

Dev's, you lost me in that last post.

Have you shot or owned any CZ, M&P, FN FNS, Walther PPQ, Almost any 1911, They all have far nicer triggers than a stock glock.

If you feel a stock glock trigger is nice with a clean break, come to the range with me, and shoot any of my guns.

My 60 year old German Makarov has a nicer trigger than any new stock glock.

As far as ergonomics, it is not a myth, I have bought and sold 3 gen 3 glocks, because the ergonomics resembled a brick. The Gen 4's are FAR better, but you either find glocks comfy or you don't.

Back to the OP. The Beretta 92fs is a fantastic first handgun, mild recoil, accurate gun, cheap and plentiful accessories. It was the handgun on which I learned how to shoot.

• Like 1