mipafox

NJ Flags will be at Half Staff

There is a bright side to this. When Obama shuffles off this mortal coil, we won't be so terribly impressed when they lower the flag to half mast for him. After all, if they can lower it for Whitney, they'll lower it for anyone.

Besides Judges, Politicians, Military and First Responders, the NJ flag has been lowered to half-mast in the past for the following persons. I do not know who these people are:

Coach Harry Shatel

Clarence Clemons

Coretta Scott King

Joseph Kealey

Mildred Barry Garvin

Francisco Baez

Millicent H. Fenwick

Thomas J. Hanratty

Christopher J. Jackman

Barbara Boggs Sigmund

Not really appropriate or permitted under the US Flag Code, but no one pays attention...

Although I don't agree with it...looks like its allowed :

Only the president of the United States or the governor of the state may order the flag to be at half-staff to honor the death of a national or state figure.

This ruined my morning coffee to say the least. Our town , North Arlington , just lost a 20 year old soldier in Afghanistan over the weekend. I won't lower anything for a drug addicted waster ,except my expectations for the future of this state . I have no tolerance for wasting of a life and gifts that other people would love to have. I am sorry she died , I think it is a shame , but to give her a gesture that is reserved for our heros is wrong.

I personally believe that honor should be reserved for those who selflessly gave their lives to cause,country and to protect others. We now worship celebrity to the detriment of decency and common sense and to allow that privilege to a singer with an admittedly flawed and less than exemplary personal life who may have died not in the cause of others but her own... sends the wrong message.

It is a slap in the face of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for us and their families.

For those that question why lowering the flag for military is not done or done enough in NJ, CLICK HERE. Do a search for "flag".

IMO, the flag should only be at half-mass for military and first responders. No Policians, Judges or Celebrities.

• Like 2

Wow, its almost as bad as obama getting the nobel peace prize. Ruins it. Isnt it only supposed to go half mast for heros?

According to the Flag Code, it gets lowered to half-staff for "Official Mourning", which in the past meant Presidents' Deaths, etc., NOT merely the rich & famous (or infamous). So this is a violation of federal law, but no one will call him out on it!

Check out this poll.

http://1057thehawk.com/should-flags-be-flown-at-half-staff-for-whitney-houston-poll/

Now this is a rock and roll station near the shore... i am curious to see if there are any urban / hip-hop stations with similar polls and what the percentage results would be.

This ruined my morning coffee to say the least. Our town , North Arlington , just lost a 20 year old soldier in Afghanistan over the weekend. I won't lower anything for a drug addicted waster ,except my expectations for the future of this state . I have no tolerance for wasting of a life and gifts that other people would love to have. I am sorry she died , I think it is a shame , but to give her a gesture that is reserved for our heros is wrong.

If you do not mind sharing the name of the soldier I am composing a letterto the Gov. and would like to include the name of someone who deserves this honor to make my point.

By the time this stupid women is put into the ground and forgotten about, it will start all over again with that other b*tch Demi Moore. At her current rate, she'll be on her death bed in a matter of weeks, then we'll be subjected to yet another self-induced early death of someone who has done nothing except be a famous celebrity.

IMO, the flag should only be at half-mass for military and first responders. No Policians, Judges or Celebrities.

Completely agree...

Had an issue after the Super-bowl where I work. There was a charter flight that had the Giants on it, well I am all for recognizing the Super-bowl Champs but I was asked to coordinate a Water Salute. I said no, Water Salutes are reserved for Retiring Flight deck Crew members and Fallen Solders only..

Well if you saw pic's and videos of there arrival at Newark you will see it was done, but I had nothing to do with it, I guess someone else took it upon themselves to request that for them.

Like this thread, I think that it is a slap in the face to all who deserve these things when others are added for no good reason.

They can lower the flag for the self destructive crack addict if they want.

But when I see a lowered flag this weekend, I'll be remembering

Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca and his family.

This is a man who deserves the honor.

RIP Marine

• Like 1

RIP Marine

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-amore/last-weekends-real-tragic_b_1276286.html

^Good article about how Whitney Houston's death overshadowed the loss of our NJ Marine.

RIP Marine

God bless him.

I would like to have the flags flown at half mast for Sgt. Michael Kirspel

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/us_army_soldier_from_nj_dies_i.html