matt6669

Question for LEO's

Old school a coffe joke...really. Another cop dig huh?

Just kidding I love coffee. I never harbor any resentment because everybody is entitled to their opinion. I really try not to hammer anybody for bs stuff because I know times are tough. I may stop you for what one might consider minor but that is my p/c for the stop and I may just be looking for something more serious. A lot usually comes from a little. If I stop you for a taillight out I could have a suspended driver, uninsured vehicle, criminal warrants or drugs and guns. If no then I will notify you with a verbal warning and you can be on your way. Unless you decide to talk your way into a ticket. There are more than enough people who drive like idiots and do stupid stuff that actually deserve summonses.

As far as getting told to write more I am sure it happens. Never really have seen it where I am but I am pretty certain it happens. I also am not one who responds well to a demand. Kind of makes me want to do the opposite.

I will start off with saying this post is in no way in a negative to LEO's.

Just curious, with all the recent cuts the towns have been making, have your chiefs etc been implying or suggesting that if you pull someone over and they have a good record to still try and find a way to give them a non point ticket but one that costs money.

Before the market crashed years ago I use to get pulled over and they wouldn't say a thing. Check my license and on I go. These were the days that I have suped up cars that if they wanted to they could clearly find infractions like (loud muffler, tinted windows, no front plate, etc etc.)

Now fast forward to current day and I've been issued the same exact ticket 3 times in the past 6 months. No front license plate. Twice was because I was speeding and the other because I was talking on a cell phone. Obviously all of them are my fault, and I'm grateful I didn't get the speeding or cellphone ticket but just curious if anyone knows if the towns are putting more pressure on them to rake in the money to cover their other expenses.

M

Getting back on topic, I noticed an increased activity in fines from various departments of the township. In my business, my basement which was legally considered "windowed" for the past 26 years, was changed "windowless" and I was forced to install a monitored fire alarm which, of course, requires permits (how convenient for the township).

My side street had signs put up for permit parking which was meant to keep people from the train station from parking on the streets. My street is 6 blocks away from the station and I was ticketed for parking in front of my driveway.

New signs were erected at the elementary school which significantly reduced the amount of parking spots. There was a crazy ticket blitz that followed and I was given a summons from the ticket nazi because my bumper was protruding one inch from the sign -- Yes, that's how pathetic she was.

The township obviously needs money and they're finding ways to punish their residents by creating a multitude of new restrictions while enforcing them with the strictest of standards that defy common sense and sacrifice our already eroding quality of life.

With that said, I do agree with your concerns.

One thing is true; when money is tight the resident are usually the ones to pay. Fees go up, services get cut but no big shots suffer.

This we can agree on.

It happens in the schools, and everything else including the private sector.

no names, departments, locations but

95 in a 55, written for 72 ,i pulled over and waited for him to arrive.

There out there doing their job. About quota`s, dont know but there does seem to be more out there in the beginning and end of the month

If you b!@#$ about a ticket(getting caught doing something STUPID) , then dont be STUPID and you wont get a ticket

Matt,

You know, I might point out that in some cases it's better to incur a front plate violation than a moving violation... In other words, sometimes it's good to have a minor infraction rather than take a ticket for a MV. I had an orange light on the dash of my old old pickup (as compared to my current old pickup) and I got pulled over on the TPK doing well over the limit. Guy was nice enough to just give me a "view obstruction" ticket. Based on the speed I was going, I'll take it.

The other option of course is to just follow the law at every possible turn regardless of how inconvenient. Put that front plate on, keep right except to pass, do the speed limit even if the jagoffs behind you keep sniffing your ahole, etc. /sarcasmoff/

The cops can cut you a break if they see fit even without an obvious lesser offense. I once got a ticket from a trooper for "Improper Passage" (not to be confused with "Improper Passing", which is a five point ticket), the ticket had no points and didn't influence my insurance rates. When I looked up what this ticket was for the description said it was when someone drove down the road in a manner that blocked or obstructed traffic or something to that effect. The trooper said I was speeding but he was going to cut me a break (which he was). When I went to pay it the lady at the court clerks office had to look it up because she had never heard of it.

Yes, this fer sure--I got a Tix on 95 from MSP a few weeks ago. Nice clear day, traffic moving along at 80 or so--"following too close"--paced & all, in my blind spot. Thanks a lot Sparky. But I understand, at the end of his shift/month/reporting period, the LT/CPT/Chief is all like, "So Trooper Skinnyoungster, what did you do today?". And he's all like, um, I drove up and down I-95, there wasn't any accidents, everybody behaved, even the truckers, I didn't write no tix. Hmm, well, Trooper, you know these are hard times, we have to cut back, y'know? Sorry to have to let you go, maybe you can get a job in Cecil Co.SD.

C'est la vie. I consider the tix as a cost of driving in the northeast US. On the plus side, locally, Jax PD has been hammering on the junkies and their suppliers the last year or so, which makes everybody happy, except the now-inmates at the OC jail :)

Oh yeah, and the MSP trooper that gave me the tix also handed me a brochure about Maryland safe driving, the back page of which was an advert to join the MSP! I felt sorry for the young fella after that, I am sure the brochure thing was NOT something he wanted to do.

Maryland being all over 95 is nothing new, I drive down to Baltimore once a year and it's always crawling with cops checking speed. You need to remember that 95 is the busiest road in Maryland, so naturally they going to patrol it the most.

Yeap. I am up & down that stretch of 95 3-5 times a week between APG and the DMB. I know here they sitteth, so had been getting away with it, they hadda sneak up on me. Ah well, it was bound to happen, managed to stay tix free the last 3 years, I was duw--

This is one of the most angry,argumentative forums on the net. I was under the impression(excuse my ignorance) that

they were generally to exchange information amongst people with similar interests in a polite ,calm and civil manner.

It's no wonder why we will never have a our 2nd amendment rights restored. Personal attacks,insults and a general

im the friggin king attitude. Pathetic

Add one more aspect to the idea of breaks vs writing the offense. Now a days with the in car videos most PD's have the entire stop audio and video recorded. So I am told...... in the old days some one might have been stopped for speeding and the Officer makes the stop, checks the license, no warrants, no points, then re-approaches the driver and says i stopped you for the speeding but i see you were not wearing the seat belt, so I will write the non moving ticket, wink..wink... The person might reply no, i had my belt on, the officer then reply's, look I am just writing you one ticket to show activity, since most of the bosses and public think I just sit in the same spot all day drinking coffee, reading the paper and sleeping, then the person thinks, oh... If I am getting a ticket, I would much rather have the non-mover. The old roadside downgrade. Since bosses can now watch and listen to every stop on their desktop computers, in my opinion a lot of breaks have gone away. You have cops getting jacked up over that silly stuff. that's just my opinion, i apologize if I have offended anyone in advance for this posting.

Not to change the subject, but I need to vent. I am for getting rid of the us and them attitudes between the police and the citizen and I want to consider those in uniform as peace officers, but I was floored at the stupidity and danger of a police officer this past week. It was in the late afternoon and I was driving my car with my kids in it. There was a car coming the other way with an officer in his car following and we were on a single-lane highway. The officer puts his lights on and it looks like he is pulling over the car coming the other way. Well, that car starts pulling over, and as he does, the officer comes right into my lane to pass him not waiting for him to get fully out of the patrol car's way. The problem was I was right in that lane approaching him from the other direction, and he was coming at me head on. I would also say that I was obeying the 50 MPH speed limit, and as should be, thankfully I was paying 100% attention. I swiftly and roughly jerked the vehicle over to the shoulder to avoid hitting him and scaring my children in the process. The knucklehead yahoo continued on his way, racing off in the other direction after cutting me off. Thank the stars I didn't come face to face with him.

The officer puts his lights on and it looks like he is pulling over the car coming the other way. Well, that car starts pulling over, and as he does, the officer comes right into my lane to pass him not waiting for him to get fully out of the patrol car's way. The problem was I was right in that lane approaching him from the other direction, and he was coming at me head on. I would also say that I was obeying the 50 MPH speed limit, and as should be, thankfully I was paying 100% attention.

I recommend you study the driving manual for a NJ drivers license: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/Driver%20Manual/Chapter_4.pdf

Let me help you out:

New Jersey law requires all motorists to yield to emergency vehicles when they

sound sirens and/or flashing red and/or blue emergency lights. A motorist should

steer to the extreme right of the roadway, stop and wait for the vehicle to pass.

Afterward, the motorist should keep at least 300 feet behind a signaling emergency

vehicle (N.J.S.A. 39:4-92, 39:3-54.12).

You were supposed to pull over, and you didn't

I recommend you study the driving manual for a NJ drivers license: http://www.state.nj....l/Chapter_4.pdf

Let me help you out:

I swiftly and roughly jerked the vehicle over to the shoulder to avoid hitting him

Vlad- apparently he did pull over...

I recommend you study the driving manual for a NJ drivers license: http://www.state.nj....l/Chapter_4.pdf

Let me help you out:

I would think that is meant for emergency vehicles coming up behind you, not suddenly head on at hiway speeds.Otherwise how do you keep 300' behind after they pass you. To have to react to the sudden head on emergency vehicle passing from the opposite side can lead to a knee-jerk reaction and by default is dangerous.

Well yes, but under the threat of an accident as opposed to pulling over preemptively.

Vlad- You're not reading clearly. It appears to have been rather abrupt and there was no opportunity to be preemptive.

Just visualize it.

Edit: re-reading the thread again it's not clear to me either... Sorry Vlad!

If I am driving on a single lane highway and I see police lights on and approaching on the oncoming lane I am going to pull to the shoulder.

It wouldn't matter if the police car was behind another oncoming car or not. I just don't like to assume anything and the lights are on to alert everyone that can see, not just the guy in front of the pd car.

This is the same as seeing a car getting on the hwy and changing lanes to let them in. It doesn't take a crystal ball.

All vehicles on both sides of the road are supposed to yield when lights are activated on an emergency vehicle

ok I get that but if the emergency vehicle coming in the opposite direction suddenly jumps& crosses over the lane in front of you at hiway speed you dont have time to do a cautious yield and have to jerk the wheel to swerve to the right isnt gonna be fun. Thats all I'm saying and what I think the earlier poster was reffering about.

If they were looking for money you would have received the mover and had to plea to unsafe operation. Lot more money than a front plate summons. Basically the officer did you a huge favor 3 times and you think of an alterior motive. This is why I am beginning not to care and just write what I stop you for.

I think that's an absolutely fair policy. It is the job you were hired to do.

Not to change the subject, but I need to vent. I am for getting rid of the us and them attitudes between the police and the citizen and I want to consider those in uniform as peace officers, but I was floored at the stupidity and danger of a police officer this past week. It was in the late afternoon and I was driving my car with my kids in it. There was a car coming the other way with an officer in his car following and we were on a single-lane highway. The officer puts his lights on and it looks like he is pulling over the car coming the other way. Well, that car starts pulling over, and as he does, the officer comes right into my lane to pass him not waiting for him to get fully out of the patrol car's way. The problem was I was right in that lane approaching him from the other direction, and he was coming at me head on. I would also say that I was obeying the 50 MPH speed limit, and as should be, thankfully I was paying 100% attention. I swiftly and roughly jerked the vehicle over to the shoulder to avoid hitting him and scaring my children in the process. The knucklehead yahoo continued on his way, racing off in the other direction after cutting me off. Thank the stars I didn't come face to face with him.

Here is another classic case of he said/she said. Us vs. Them. I want to stop the us vs them BUT I have another story of a stupid cop...

Here is another classic case of he said/she said. Us vs. Them. I want to stop the us vs them BUT I have another story of a stupid cop...

Obviously you are going to have to suck it up and take the high road if anything is going to change. It's obviously not going to come from "them."

Keep it civil. Lets answer the original poster's question, and otherwise take personal jabs/barbs/duels to private messaging (PM).

If you want to argue semantics, semiotics, etc., again, take it to PM. It is fine to go off-topic for a bit, but it degrades the overall integrity to make it a tape measuring competition when there is no place for it in the given application.