gxr66

BEST TRAINING/SCHOOL??

Who would you recommend more for a first introductory course in pistol use/handling?

New Jersey Firearms Academy

or

GunForHIre?

I am a “newbie” and have only fired a .22 and an M16 when I was in the military over 25 years ago. I really would like to start off right.

Gun for Hire without a doubt.

I just confronted Anthony with a problem my friend has who is terrified of guns and he and I are going to work together to try and handle this. He just continues to help out the community.

Why don't you go and drop in on Anthony at Gun for Hire and talk to him or his guys before you book a class? Kick the tires of both places and see what you like. I know what your reception at GFH will be, I have no idea what your reception at NJFA will be.

+1 GFH

Who would you recommend more for a first introductory course in pistol use/handling?

New Jersey Firearms Academy

or

GunForHIre?

I am a “newbie” and have only fired a .22 and an M16 when I was in the military over 25 years ago. I really would like to start off right.

I took my NRA basic pistol at NJ Firearms Academy last year and it was NOT a positive experience. There were two main issues:

1. Latief (instructor) leaving mid morning (unsure why) and leaving his student instructors to finish the course.

2. The indoor range we used was awful, claustrophobic and just not a nice environment.

He did apologize and offer a free tuition follow up, however the range was bad enough we declined.

I've since undertaken quite a few Gun For Hire courses and enjoyed them all.

That's just my experience, perhaps I was just unlucky.

TheWombat

I'm probably gonna get yelled at, but I've taken two courses at the Heritage Guild in Easton and they've both been pretty excellent. Matt Vollers was the instructor I had for both NRA Basic Pistol and the Heritage Defensive Pistol class. I will say that the agenda online for the GFH step 2 pistol class looks much more aggressive than I had at Heritage, and my understanding is Anthony also does a good job of keeping class sizes small. Both my Heritage classes had 8 people in them.

I will be trying a GFH class in the near future, but just wanted to say that I'd had positive experiences with the Heritage Guild classes to this point.

EDIT: the Easton facility is AWESOME! The indoor range they use for the public is right now used for the classroom range. In the next few months they'll be opening two tactical ranges with moving targets for their more advanced courses. No pictures or anything, but Matt seems really excited about it and based on my positive experience thus far I'll probably try one of their tactical courses as well as one of Anthony's GFH courses (targeting the low-light pistol course for some practical experience!) and will write up a review once I complete...but probably won't be done with both until this fall.

I've never taken a Gun for Hire class but have seen a couple in progress while shooting at the Bullet Hole. As I was loading up magazines for my next strings of fire I would eavesdrop and look over at the instruction that Anthony was giving. From an experienced shooters perspective, the instructor for the students was excellent. Shooting problems were addressed on an individual basis and the correction made improvements immediately when followed.

It's all a matter of what your comfortable with.

I personally use GappNJ, but that's me. Took my CCW classes there, and now have signed up for two more and will a Third when the funds come around.

In most cases, anyone that attends a class and is a loyal customer, will say that the school they attend is the best. It's all a matter of personal choice.

In addition to the excellent established schools mentioned, also consider the NRA Basic Pistol classes given at NJ gun clubs that are local to you. Because they are staffed by volunteer (not paid) NRA Certified Instructors, the instructor to student ratio is typically higher and the registration cost is usually lower (since the sponsoring club is not looking to make a profit on the class). I instruct at Shongum Sportsmen's Association in the Hackettstown area. The all inclusive fee including lunch, use of 20 handguns, ammo, etc. for non-members is only $150. More information on the April 14 and 21 class is available at http://shongum.org/trainingprograms.html.

I'm probably gonna get yelled at, but I've taken two courses at the Heritage Guild in Easton and they've both been pretty excellent. Matt Vollers was the instructor I had for both NRA Basic Pistol and the Heritage Defensive Pistol class. I will say that the agenda online for the GFH step 2 pistol class looks much more aggressive than I had at Heritage, and my understanding is Anthony also does a good job of keeping class sizes small. Both my Heritage classes had 8 people in them.

I will be trying a GFH class in the near future, but just wanted to say that I'd had positive experiences with the Heritage Guild classes to this point.

EDIT: the Easton facility is AWESOME! The indoor range they use for the public is right now used for the classroom range. In the next few months they'll be opening two tactical ranges with moving targets for their more advanced courses. No pictures or anything, but Matt seems really excited about it and based on my positive experience thus far I'll probably try one of their tactical courses as well as one of Anthony's GFH courses (targeting the low-light pistol course for some practical experience!) and will write up a review once I complete...but probably won't be done with both until this fall.

that range is SO!!! much better then the bullet hole!! nice and bright and up to date. also BIG selection of firearms and more then enough room to move around

I live in the middle of nowhere so it is hard to find a good instructor, what I have done is just buy instructional videos from companies such as Paladin Press or even rent them from goldstarvideo for only 10 bucks each. GS has over 60 titles for firearms to choose from.

I hope that helps someone