mipafox

Driving Really Fast in NJ

Reckless Driving - 5 points

Careless Driving - 2 points

Speeding up to 14 mph over - 2 points

Speeding 15-29 mph over - 4 points

30 mph over + - 5 points

Creating risk of accident

Obstruction of view (may not like the fact your ezpass is on your windshield)

If the cops in a bad mood he could attempt to charge you with racing on public highway - 5 points + disorderly persons offense

These are some of the offenses your could be charged with, court penalty upwards of a thousand dollars from court costs, fines, and a lawyer, plus after a certain amount of points you lose your license. On the bright side you wont need to pay car insurance if you can't drive.

...... and you choose to risk the life of me and my family......

Take it to the track.....

I don't choose any such thing. A funny thing happened on the way to America. I respect the law now. Now that the law respects me. I wonder if there has ever been an anthropologic study on a negative response in social order with incremental excessive laws.

By the way. You can actually break the speed limit without endangering anyone.

What's the maximum penalty?

Why don't you just lookup the law. There are too many possibilities of how you can drive retarded.

Obviously you could kill someone because of your speeding. That would probably prompt the maximum penalty.

this is what I've noticed with the NJSP- on pkwy, tpke, and I-80 if you do around 75mph they usually leave you alone. 80+and you're getting a ticket. 85+ and higher and you're getting at least 3 more tickets.

this is what I've noticed with the NJSP- on pkwy, tpke, and I-80 if you do around 75mph they usually leave you alone. 80+and you're getting a ticket. 85+ and higher and you're getting at least 3 more tickets.

I drive about 5MPH over the speed limit on the highways. Have never been pulled over by a cop.

Cop's rule about speeders:

8 your fine, 9 your mine!

On the turnpike,generally 80 if conditions allow,don't be the fastest,don't stand out,eyes everywhere,drive 1/2 mile ahead of you,a Valentine is a must but awareness is better and as obvious as it seems... at the end of the month,drive the limit.

Why don't you just lookup the law. There are too many possibilities of how you can drive retarded.

I don't understand it well enough. That's why I came here to ask the question.

Is that the answer to every NJ gun law question here as well?

I don't speed so that doesn't help me. Well, OK, I might do 4 mph over the speed limit when I'm not paying attention. Usually when I'm doing 25 and it's hilly, because my cruise control won't set under 25.5 from what it seems. But I'm certainly not going 75 in Jersey. I might have touched it in WV where the limit is 70s.

This seems about right. I used to travel the tpk and parkway from turnpike exit 5 to exit 11 and then the Parkway up to Union everday. 75 to 80 is normal cruising speed and I've done those speeds right past troopers hiding in the median without any notice but 85 plus and they'll notice you.

I typically drive 8-10 over, never got pulled over for that even when going through an obvious speed trap. That being said, I like to stack the odds in my favor.

NJTP and GSP in central jersey have been crawling lately. Almost all NJSP I have seen lately are using laser. Detectors are pretty much worthless as when they alarm it is too late if you are the target. You may get a lucky alarm if they bounce off a car near you, but nothing to stake a ticket on. Laser active counter-measure systems are very pricey, and its a roll of the dice if they even work. Its a constant battle between the LIDAR makers and the counter-measure folks. Many times counter-measures in the active system (jamming) can be compensated for by some DSP code changes. Then the counter-measure people have to re-test the LIDAR gun, and reprogram their jamming logic.

If I need to speed up to pass some idiot, the best defense is keep a keen eye ahead. With laser they need line of sight to tag you, so if they can see you, you can typically see them. That and the pacers that sneak up from behind or enter from an on-ramp. Another sharp eye sweep is all thats needed.

Dear Reckless Driver,

If you feel the need for speed, take it to a track such as Millville. Karting is GREAT fun without crazy speed.

When driving on PUBLIC roads, it's best to leave your ego and attitude at home.

Drive safe,

Sincerely,

The person who has to share the roads with you

Dear Reckless Driver,

If you feel the need for speed, take it to a track such as Millville. Karting is GREAT fun without crazy speed.

When driving on PUBLIC roads, it's best to leave your ego and attitude at home.

Drive safe,

Sincerely,

The person who has to share the roads with you

Dear person that probably breaks the speed limit,

Please stay in NJ. If you read my multiple posts above, you will see that I don't speed. My guess is that you do. Based on my personal observations, very few people obey the speed limit in NJ like I do.

I don't understand it well enough. That's why I came here to ask the question.

Is that the answer to every NJ gun law question here as well?

I don't speed so that doesn't help me. Well, OK, I might do 4 mph over the speed limit when I'm not paying attention. Usually when I'm doing 25 and it's hilly, because my cruise control won't set under 25.5 from what it seems. But I'm certainly not going 75 in Jersey. I might have touched it in WV where the limit is 70s.

The driving laws are not like the firearms laws. They are very straight forward.

I also answered your question. So here it is again: The highest penalty will be if your speeding kills someone. That sentence would be up to a judge and probably involve years in jail.

If you want strictly speeding only:

39:4–98 Exceeding maximum speed 1-14 mph over limit

Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit

Exceeding maximum speed 30 mph or more over limit

39:4-98 Speeding - exceeding limit by 35-39 miles per hour -- pursuant to

N.J.S.A. 39:4-98.7, all fines have been doubled for any defendant

charged with speeding 20 MPH or more over the speed limit. $256

NOTE: Exceeding the posted speed limit by 40 miles per hour or more

requires a court appearance.

Going over 40 would prompt the maximum and that would again be up to a judge to decide the punishment.

The driving laws are not like the firearms laws. They are very straight forward.

I also answered your question.

No, you didn't.

So here it is again: The highest penalty will be if your speeding kills someone. That sentence would be up to a judge and probably involve years in jail.

Why are you being an asshole? I stated my question with absolute clarity. It was about speeding, not vehicular homicide.

If you want strictly speeding only:

39:4–98 Exceeding maximum speed 1-14 mph over limit

Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit

Exceeding maximum speed 30 mph or more over limit

39:4-98 Speeding - exceeding limit by 35-39 miles per hour -- pursuant to

N.J.S.A. 39:4-98.7, all fines have been doubled for any defendant

charged with speeding 20 MPH or more over the speed limit. $256

NOTE: Exceeding the posted speed limit by 40 miles per hour or more

requires a court appearance.

Going over 40 would prompt the maximum and that would again be up to a judge to decide the punishment.

Ok, so you answer is, a judge can have me executed or put in jail for life?

There is a maximum penalty for every violation of traffic and criminal code, and I do not appreciate you not telling it to me two times, and insulting me both times without answering my question.

I got clocked at 155 in a 55 a very long time ago. Got-off with a warning. No, I did not know the guy that eventually pulled me over nor do I have PBA cards or anything else. Only person on the road that night was an 18 wheeler flashing his lights at me to warn me after I went past him. I usually only go 5mph over for the most part now. Never drove that car on the street after that night either. ;)

I got clocked at 155 in a 55 a very long time ago. Got-off with a warning. No, I did not know the guy that eventually pulled me over nor do I have PBA cards or anything else. Only person on the road that night was an 18 wheeler flashing his lights at me to warn me after I went past him. I usually only go 5mph over for the most part now. Never drove that car on the street after that night either. ;)

You could have killed my dingo's baby. I hope you are happy.

;) just kidding

Why the F, did you even stop? No way he'd catch you.

I don't think you can drive fast enough to wind up in jail in the state of NJ.

How fast would be fast enough to get the job done?

BTW, I sped in MD several years ago past a cop using laser. And we know how those guys are. He wasn't even in his car, he was standing on the edge of a turn. So, he was actively trying to catch somebody. It was early in the morning and I went by that SOB so fast he couldn't acquire me due to the angular velocity. Would have scared the crap outta me had it not been for my hangover. :)