david8613

when did you realize it was time to start reloading?

when did you realize it was time to start reloading? I ask this because I have quite a few different calibers and before I go to the range I bring my own ammo, but I always buy more at the range which costs more, I'm thinking it's time I start... thinking I'll start with 40 cal and 10 mm...

The 1st entry in my Loading log book is April 16 1990. My 21st birthday was March 19 1990. On that day I went to the police station and dropped off my handgun permit application. The chief called the next day with P2P ready. Colt 1911 bought that day the 20th of march.

It looks like it took me less than a month to realize I needed to reload. Been loading ever since.

Once the ammo shortages hit a few years ago and the high price of ammo. The only problem was the primer shortage at the same time. Lesson learned - always keep "enough" reloading supplies in hand. You determine what "enough" is.

When I was shooting 500-600 rounds of FMJ 45 ACP each week practicing and was paying retail. Some basic math and a trip to Master Class Shooter supply netted me a 550B press. Been adding to that setup for years. Never looked back about not reloading since the ammo costs have just risen.

Buy in bulk, buy often. You'll have supplies when everyone else is whining about the price or the availability.

Bubba- Bet you can get started under $100 with used stuff.

That would be rad!!! Right now the bike comes first. Getting some work done on it and it's gonna cost a pretty penny. After that... game on!

C

so what do i check out, dont wanna start single and upgrade, and then upgrade again... good starter progressive to do .40 and 10mm to begon. should i just go new, or get used? im afraid going used i might end up with some elses problems... watcha think?

so what do i check out, dont wanna start single and upgrade, and then upgrade again... good starter progressive to do .40 and 10mm to begon. should i just go new, or get used? im afraid going used i might end up with some elses problems... watcha think?

Dillon 550B, $ cry once, very versatile, easy set-up.

Dillon 550B, $ cry once, very versatile, easy set-up.

I have to agree -- if your dead set on starting out with a progressive why not get the good stuff right from the start.

I still use my single stage rock chucker from the 90's. I never went progressive and honestly don't mind the single.

I realized I'd be better off reloading after buying my first two boxes of .44 magnum ammunition. I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker but replaced it a year later with a Hornady L-N-L; once I started loading for 9mm, I decided that single stage was too slow.

If I went blue I'd shell out for the XL 650... do they sell that without the case/bullet feeder?

If I went blue I'd shell out for the XL 650... do they sell that without the case/bullet feeder?

Yes they do, but after about 1000 rounds you will be ordering one, if it even takes you that many rounds. :icon_mrgreen:

By the way, while you can add a bullet feeder, there are none that I know of made for the Dillon, but if you want to add one, station 3 you could do without a powder check and install it there. I have thought about it, but I like having the powder check and I find I can do 600-800 rounds an hour if I want, maybe a little more and think that's plenty.

One thing to the OP, While you may want to have a progressive one thing I have heard over and over and while I have yet to load rifle caliber, I would still probably get one for rifle rather than use the Dillon 650 I have. so a single stage probably wouldn't be a waste of money, and if you never see yourself loading rifle, if you get a good quality press, I'd bet if you wanted to unload it down the road you would have a buyer or 3 around here.

Just do your self a favor, don't skimp, in the long run it's better like with most things, Buy once, Cry once.

Haven't started yet, but I'm about to. Cost of ammo, and the difficulty at which it can be found at the moment has sort of spurred this decision, not to mention I need a hobby to do during the day, and my basement, where my press would be set up, is the coolest part of my house.

I would start out with a single stage. Took me a bit to load 80 rounds on my turret the other day. Using it over a progressive MADE me go slow, which for a first time reloader ain't a bad thing. Start with a single, get used to loading, THEN move on to the progressive. The single stage will no go bad and if you decide you no longer want it, you'll be able to sell it quickly. Just be warned, it's a lot of fun putting bullets together.

Good luck.

C