checko

vertical foregrips

I have used one, but took it off. It doesn't feel right to me. I tend to prefer wooden rifles anyway...

I think the foregrip helps with a "natural fighting stance," or so I've heard some people claim. I also think it's necessary for controlling automatic fire, which is why you've seen it on submachine guns that were designed for CQB like the early Thompson. I don't think you will be firing on automatic any time soon, though.

It's also a very convenient place to tape the remote switch for a tactical light or laser. Just squeeze the foregrip and the light goes on.

Bottom line, you can get a cheap one for $25. Buy it and install it. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, someone will buy it off you.

Looks like you could make it double as a bottle opener with some dremel work too :D

Funny you mention that. I have an Israeli friend who said that his Galil had a bottle opener built into the weapon because too many Israeli soldiers were using the breech to open bottles. In the American Army they just would have given anyone who damaged a breech an Article 15.

I think a vertical foregrip on a rifle with a pistol grip feels very natural and makes it easier for me to 'point and shoot' quickly. One thing I didn't think of before purchasing my first vertical grip, was that the full length grips may interfere with magazine removal in an AK pattern rifle. Tapco and a few other brands offer a 'stubby' size which worked well instead.

I have one... I like it. (T-Pod Gen2.... it sees more use as a bipod when I'm shooting off a bench.) This particular model is a little heavy for runnin' and gunnin', and even just shooting from the shoulder on a long range session. I'm getting a Magpul AFG. (I'll keep the T-pod G2 for bipod use for sure though. It's a nice piece of kit.)

My dad on the otherhand doesn't like them at all. When I took him to the range with me, he made me take the foregrip off before he even picked it up. (Made me take the ACOG off too. Just used irons all day. He's old school.)

Hmmm. I don't know. I had one on my Paintball gun (I understand there's a big difference) and it always felt awkward. I found myself always holding the magwell with my weak hand. Maybe ill try someones one day before I go ahead and buy one.

They make some sense on a military rifle that has lights, lasers, and whatevers tacking up space on the handguard. For anything else it is a crutch. It really doesn't let you shoot faster or point faster, if it did EVERY 3gun competitor would use one, yet almost NONE do. The AFG solution sort of works, but not if you like to have your thumb over the top of the hanguard.

I have them on my 870, CX4, and Saiga. I use a Magwell grip on my AR. I don't know if it's from doing martial arts and having the fighting stance as muscle memory or what, I just find them much much more comfortable.

My AR feels like a paintball gun, which I played regularly for years, so that may contribute as well.

I use mine more as a hand stop than an actual grip, it just feels all kinds of wrong if I try and shoot with it using a hammer style grip.

Im planning on cutting it to about 1/2 its current height cause the bottom 1/2 of it never gets touched or used, its just there taking up space.

I had a VFG on my rifle for a while. I liked the control it gave me and found it pretty comfortable. Only problem I had with it was that it added a little more unnecessary weight and after shooting 100+ rounds in one session (8x 15rd mags) my forearm would start getting tired faster when having to take a little extra time to lign up the iron sights. If I shot quickly with my red dot, the fatigue would be less of course.

4179a00f.jpg

When I switched to the AFG I personally found it a little lighter and more comfortable. I'm taking a carbine class this weekend and will probably bring the VFG and try it out to see if there is a positive practical difference for me.

cf45391f.jpg

When I switched to the AFG I personally found it a little lighter and more comfortable. I'm taking a carbine class this weekend and will probably bring the VFG and try it out to see if there is a positive practical difference for me.

What class are you taking?

Or you can be a real bad a** and grip it like jerry !

It's a really strange style, if you watch some videos of him with the rifle on the move he has a wicked cant to it where he twists it to about a 45 degree angle.

hqdefault.jpg

That's actually how I like to hold the AR. With my thumb over the top. But not with my fingers surrounding the barrel like a pool que though. Vertical fore-grips are cool and if you like the feel then go for it.

Well I gave in and bought the magpul rvg. I mounted it about as close to the back of the handgaurd and I must day its super comfortable for me both with the hammer grip and thumb over. Glad I went with it even though im not a huge magpul fanboy. But it works!

Try moving the grip toward the muzzle end of the forearm. The further your hands are from the weapons center of balance, the more control you will have. You will see a definite increase in speed and control when driving the muzzle. Your split times on multiple target engagement drills will decrease significantly, and you will see an improvement in your speed and accuracy when shooting on the move as well.

The downside is it is more fatiguing having your support arm out there near the muzzle.

Also, you can try using the vert grip for a reference point or hand-stop vice the broom handle grip. Like the photo in Post #4 in this thread.

I have always been against VFG, i always hated them but I recently got a deal on one and figured why not give it a shot, its only $7, I put it on and I love it, its the perfect location and feels great.

I am in the EXACT same boat..

I am using it mostly as an indexing tool to get the same solid grip every time..