vladtepes

Cars...

My theory on euro cars is they are bought by enthusiasts and those buyers modify and/or drive the hell out of them. I think the unreliability rumors are unfair.

I am perhaps a little older than you and have owned and / or driven extensively a 69 Mini Cooper,72 Renault 1600 cc,71 BMW 2002,76 Jaguar xj6,78 VW superbeetle,78 Vauxhall Viva GT1600cc,74 Ford Cortina Cosworth.79 Mazda RX3 round light,TR 6's and 7's,96 XR4 TI,Peugeot 205,306.2001 Ford Mondeo GT,2005 BMW M5,2001and 2004 VW gti's,1998 and 2001 Honda SI's,.... well you get the idea and without exception all the European models had an awful reliability record.

I love European cars and own 3 older models at the moment. but it's a love that comes with a price.

My theory on euro cars is they are bought by enthusiasts and those buyers modify and/or drive the hell out of them. I think the unreliability rumors are unfair.

Ask any E46 M3 driver about the Vanos.... nuff said.

My dads 535i was at the dealership twice for faulty fuel pumps.

My friends 325i reverse blew, along with a ton of other issues, and he babied that car.

Down the line they are money pits, parts cost an arm and a leg, not to mention the price tag that comes with having reputable shops work on them.

I've seen quite a few new bmw's and audi's that have headlight issues since they decided to complicate them all with the led's.

If i were buying new, i wouldn't mind a euro car, with a warranty. But used, you better have a rainy day fund, and a big one at that.

I have worked as a mechanic or parts guy for the past 20 years, and I currently work in the parts department at an Audi dealer. To be honest, Im an American car guy and euro cars never did get my blood pumping. I will honestly say that Audis are very nice cars, they ride excellent and perform well, BUT they are complex and expensive to repair. IMHO, they are designed for affluent clientele who want a nice car and can stomach an expensive repair bill or the poor mileage, expensive services and premium fuel that some models require. If that's not you, then its probably not the car for you. Look at it this way - 12ga. shotguns are great, but you wouldn't recommend one to a friend with a squirrel problem and .22 rifles are great but you wouldn't recommend one to someone for self defense, right? Cars are no different - just because you like it doesn't mean it's the best choice for you. However if you do choose to go that route, or if anyone else on here needs any help with one, send me a PM on here and I'll be glad to see what I can do for you.

I was looking for a car that had good gas milage and some zip to it, i ended up buying a ss cobalt. it is a fun car has a bit of steering torque when you get on it...

in my research the WRX has less steering torque being it is all wheel drive, but one of my pet peves is it had to be and american car co.. so the ss was my choice between the two..

Every dead 1.8t a4 I have known has seen nothing but a life of boring commutes. The oiling system is designed wrong.

Why do you think VW went to a 10 year warranty for a while. It's because there engines were craptastic. My wife had the na 1.8 that came out during that warranty. 6 ecus before she dumped it.

I sit on them, I like them. You'd have to pay me enough to buy a spare care that wasn't a VW/Audi to drive one.

Vlad.....

Check out the new Challenger with a Hemi. Nail it for 3 seconds and you're decision will be made. I rode in one last week and I'm still impressed. The Challenger handles like a can-am, rides like a crown-vic and launches like a rail.

Take the Challenge and get back to me.

Spectre

Getting way out of his budget.

Vlad.....

Check out the new Challenger with a Hemi. Nail it for 3 seconds and you're decision will be made. I rode in one last week and I'm still impressed. The Challenger handles like a can-am, rides like a crown-vic and launches like a rail.

Take the Challenge and get back to me.

Spectre

Have you looked into a Charger R/T maybe say 07-08? I just traded my 08 in, loved the car just needed a new truck. I got 28 mpg highway and was going 13.40's with just a handheld tuner. Ride was awesome, definitely gave me the best of all world in that price range.

Subaru are great cars, but u will not be happy with the interior of WRX for sure plus its a pretty small car.

ur best bet is an Infiniti g35/37 series car (balanced performance) very nice inside and out. good handling, plenty of mods available and it's actually feels high end. another great choice Wud be a Nissan maxima. great engine and trani , nice interior, comfortable.

u want raw performance, go for Pontiac G8. great car, fast as hell, spartan interior that fits the image of the car, high quality Australian manufacturing. u want relaxed driving go for Acura RL. big reliable car full of technology.

from Germans I can only recommend BMW. once u drive one, u will never want to drive anything else. I never had a single issue with those cars. I am not into MB and Ive seen too many issues with Audiz...

+1 for Subaru, either a turbo Legacy GT or WRX.

I have had my WRX wagon since 2001. A year later in during 2002, I went heavy with mods adding +100 HP to that 2.0L engine. So far, 11 years later, 120K road miles, still gets beat to hell and is fun to drive. Had to replace the alternator, steering rack, CV joint, and lower control arm bushings in all that time and miles. Not bad, about 2.5K in repairs, and of course normal maintenance which mostly I do myself. Not bad and is still going strong.

Sure the interior is crap at least on the WRX (not sure on legacy's), but you have to decide what is more important and compromise level..

Subaru are great cars, but u will not be happy with the interior of WRX for sure plus its a pretty small car.

ur best bet is an Infiniti g35/37 series car (balanced performance) very nice inside and out. good handling, plenty of mods available and it's actually feels high end. another great choice Wud be a Nissan maxima. great engine and trani , nice interior, comfortable.

u want raw performance, go for Pontiac G8. great car, fast as hell, spartan interior that fits the image of the car, high quality Australian manufacturing. u want relaxed driving go for Acura RL. big reliable car full of technology.

from Germans I can only recommend BMW. once u drive one, u will never want to drive anything else. I never had a single issue with those cars. I am not into MB and Ive seen too many issues with Audiz...

I agree with some of what you say but the G8? Crappy build quality which is why most sat unsold until they were going for as much as $10,000 under sticker. The car went well but poor QC on body and trim doesn't make it worth it.

All German cars are great...until you need to fix them. A good service bill on any older German is enough to make a down payment on a new Japanese or Korean car.

+1. I currently have a 99 A4 quattro, albeit the 2.8 in it, which currently has 233,000 on the clock, and I drive it everyday. It's no rocket, however, always starts, handles like the day it was new, never leaves me stuck when the road gets slippery or snow covered. Only thing done is routine maintenance, which is pricey at times, but you get what you pay for. Interior still looks good, not well worn as I see in lower priced American and Japanese cars. It all comes down to this: take the recommendations you receive, go look at everything that interests you, and buy what YOU ultimately like. But do your homework. Carfax is good, but doesn't always give you the full picture. Check out Consumer Reports, KBB, Edmunds, all the sites. Carsurvey.org is another. All consumer reviews. I have bought numerous used cars, and by doing my homework , have always had good success. Best of luck.

YUP...

I am starting to at least consider a WRX..

Get a 2005 or newer. 2004 had a 2.0 engine. 2005 switched to a 2.5 Too much pressure and too many problems on the older ones. I had a 2004 wrx that blew a rod gasket at 110k miles. I maintained it religously. Fun as hell to drive though.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Rod gasket?

Get a 2005 or newer. 2004 had a 2.0 engine. 2005 switched to a 2.5 Too much pressure and too many problems on the older ones. I had a 2004 wrx that blew a rod gasket at 110k miles. I maintained it religously. Fun as hell to drive though.

That anything like a Muffler bearing?

I've had new Audis (A4 and A6), G35s/G37s, and Acuras over the past 12 years.

The Audis are the best drive/ride but not fast unless you tune them (turbos only) or get an overpowered engine option (S4s/S6s). They are extremely expensive to maintain and parts are very expensive.

The Acuras are sloppy, mediocre speed (but faster off the line than Audis), and steer like crap. They seem to get worse the more "power" they put in them with each new generation.

The G35/G37 handles well and is fast as balls. Ride is a little harder than Audi, handling a little more Jap. Do not get a sport, the ride is very hard.

For a used car with a decent ride, some power, and low repair bills I would go Infinity.

Just based on my personal use of these vehicles.

I just can not get used to the sound of the flat-four in those wrx's, especially with a fart can on em. yuck.

Get equal length headers if you don't like it. It's kill some of the subie sound. Or leave the stock exhaust on. At least on the legacy, it flows reasonably well. Especially 2007+ once they got rid of one of the cats.

Get equal length headers if you don't like it. It's kill some of the subie sound. Or leave the stock exhaust on. At least on the legacy, it flows reasonably well. Especially 2007+ once they got rid of one of the cats.

I just got a set of custom headers from Lemons, but they are not for a Subaru.

I haven't seen it listed yet but what about a Mazdaspeed 6?? turbo all wheel drive and are plenty fast.

Wicked fast but major torque steer,rather unusual styling ques and parts are expensive for a B line marque.

Audi/VW? Id say you're nuts. -imho

WRX? Sure...why not, but be ready for high insurance prem.

Mazdaspeed3 may fill your ticket.

Call your local VW Audi dealer. 'Pretend' to ask bout some maintenance or common repair jobs. Then ask how much. It may shock you.