Sign in to follow this  
TheWombat

FL women flies into Newark with loaded gun in purse

This article mentions a Florida woman flew from Orlando to Newark with a loaded handgun in her purse this morning after forgetting to tell airport screeners about the gun. She reported it to Port Authority officers after she exited the flight. The Essex County prosecutor declined to prosecuted based on the fact that the woman self-reported it.

http://www.nypost.co...Cr0gLhS1cD1nu7N

Surprised to not see this more prominent in the news, and also surprised to see the prosecutor declining to prosecute. I would say that perhaps common sense prevailed however the bigger worry is how did the gun get through the airport screeners at Florida?

Is this a new precedent or has this occurred before in Newark Airport?

TheWombat

What about the guy from Utah?

Here is an article about the guy from Utah.

Also you can look up Revel vs Port Authority. He is out bu the Ajarpc is still on this i believe.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-jersey/njdce/2:2006cv00402/185680/166

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/18/traveling-mans-gun-arrest-appealed-supreme-court/

HOW IN THE HELL did her purse make it thru the x-ray machine?!?!?

6 years ago i went to Ft Lauderdale from EWR.

2 TSA chicks got in an argument when my bag was passing through the machine. I land in Ft Lauderdale and discover forgot to take out my Swiss Army knife ( oversize with a 5 inch blade) from my carryon in the checked luggage.

So this is how...the x ray people were not paying attention.

6 years ago i went to Ft Lauderdale from EWR.

2 TSA chicks got in an argument when my bag was passing through the machine. I land in Ft Lauderdale and discover forgot to take out my Swiss Army knife ( oversize with a 5 inch blade) from my carryon in the checked luggage.

So this is how...the x ray people were not paying attention.

So... we have TSA (and PAY them)... WHY????

Wait... they're a union, aren't they? That would explain it.

The prosecutor should be rewarded for his seemingly common sense, even though that woman was an idiot. I'd like to know if she was a democratic operative, politically connected, etc...

This article mentions a Florida woman flew from Orlando to Newark with a loaded handgun in her purse ......... I would say that perhaps common sense prevailed however the bigger worry is how did the gun get through the airport screeners at Florida?

We use TSA screeners here too, that's how. :)

Just reading over this, I think that there are many facts that were not reported, or that the story is exaggerated. We've all heard the story about Gregg Revell, and how he was arrested and charged for an unloaded, declared firearm. I highly doubt that the prosecutor would ignore this case, especially since once she had it on the plane, she was in violation of federal law--license or no license.

Either this story is a fabrication, or there's more than what we're reading.

I'm not surprised they let her go. The few remaining anti-2A/Constitution states remaining in the Union do not want National attention turned to them. Once in the spotlight, there is no turning back. They do not want cases like this where another State will get involved, rummaging up through the court of appeals, etc. They know stuff like this will only help prove that states with laws like NJ and NY go against federal law and the Constitution. Nobody cares if a known gang-banger gets 5 years mandatory for posession of a HG, yet when a person with a good background , with no intentional malice, from another state with a CCW who is legal to carry in 42 other states makes a mistake and carries in NJ or NY, its a mess for the prosecutors.

There is no saying "well the law is only there for people whoe we feel like locking up becasue we have a good idea that they are bad anyways", but that is exactly how stuff is working lately. Look at all of the situations in NYC where out of state'ers get off with disorderly persons offenses and whatnot when caught carrying "by mistake". They already saw jury nullification in action with the guy from Florida, they aren't interested in any more as it is one more nail in the coffin for their rediculous laws.

I think that if you know you're going to fly commercial and forget you have a gun in your carryon you're pretty stupid. On the other hand if you forget to take out something like a Swiss Army knife, pair of scissors, letter opener, or something you normally carry in that bag for some use other than a weapon that's understandable.

No doubt the prosecutor made at least part of his decision in an effort to keep this out of the press as much as possible. If this woman was a terrorist she stood a good chance of succeeding.

When they started TSA they had problems filling the jobs. In order to fill jobs they lowered standards. There were people hired as FAMs that would not qualify for a similar paying job with another Federal agency. In some cases people went to TSA to get out of the agency they were in. Some decided to stay there for a promotion or they were close to retirement. Others left as soon as they could find something better. Many stayed because they lacked the qualifications to go anywhere else. By now some of these people are in management at TSA. If they lowered standards to recruit FAMs how low did they go for screeners?

I have a few stories of dealing with TSA many of them from when I was on the job and flew with a gun all the time. This includes 2 FAMs who let me fly from Minneapolis to Newark without being sure I was who I said I was.

You know everyones so confused beyond beleif right now at the airports, the TSA, and the NJ law enforcement. How the hell did a lady carry a firearm in her purse, and on a plane without losing her mind and shooting everything. I'm surprised they didn't press charges on the firearm, but smart to let the lady go. Those crazy firearms today, always getting into trouble and causing trouble.

not sure why everyone thinks she is dumb or stupid. its probably something that is in her purse 24/7/365 and she simply forgot it just like others forgot about other types of tools... because that's what it is to her, a tool of self protection. her only mistake was not realizing she was flying internationally.

not sure why everyone thinks she is dumb or stupid. its probably something that is in her purse 24/7/365 and she simply forgot it just like others forgot about other types of tools... because that's what it is to her, a tool of self protection. her only mistake was not realizing she was flying internationally.

The difference is a pair of scissors or Swiss Army knife is a tool that could be used as a weapon. A handgun is a weapon. Calling it a "tool" all the time is acquiescing to anti-gunners, trying to make firearms sound more politically correct. I would think that someone who forgets they have a gun in their purse when approaching a TSA checkpoint is likely to forget that firearm is there in the stress of being attacked.

The 2A is there so you can protect your life and liberty quaranteed by the 1A. Firearms are dangerous as they would be useless if they weren't.

Surprised to not see this more prominent in the news, and also surprised to see the prosecutor declining to prosecute. I would say that perhaps common sense prevailed however the bigger worry is how did the gun get through the airport screeners at Florida?

What's the bigger worry? A gun on a plane does not equal the end of the world.

Forgetting you have a firearm on you IS stupid. Regardless of what laws are anywhere you should always realize where your firearm is. That's what a responsible person does.

Forgetting a firearm on you is careless.

Our government wasting billions on this useless TSA program and considering it the last line in our defense is stupid.