EX Carnival man

I just got some extra gas for the generator.

Been a while since all the genny talk here! I've got permits pending for a tri-fuel I'm gonna install. Natural gas is the way to go for anything more than a day.I got myself pretty edumacated on all kinds of genny speak regarding electric, natural gas, town codes, acc's etc...

On the topic of gas for gennys, don't forget to stabilize it. The August 2012 issue of Practical Sailor finally tested and chose a winner; Biobor EB "Ethanol Buster" for E10 gas that we are cursed with here in NJ.

It works better than the Stabil Marine Formula I was using for my outboards.

if its only sitting for a month or 2 you should be good without stabilizer, no?

I have about 20 gallons in the shed...

Sorta. I'm just twitchy about unstabilized gas since all of the problems I had with my carbureted outboards living on the Hudson River. Today's ethanol gas really soaks up the ambient moisture, so even fuel-injected vehicles can run into problems there. You don't want to get to a situation when you forget about the gas till the spring, and then need it in an emergency (hey, remember that crazy windstorm we had in March 2010?)

If Sandy was a once-in-a-century event, I can guarantee I won't be around for the next one!

And the year before that we had Irene... Hope this century doesn't turn into a hurricane-every-5-years period. I learned my lesson the hard way; next time I'm sailing the boat up to Albany and letting out 300' of line... (but I still have a boat that floats, unlike many unfortunate individuals.)

On the topic of gas for gennys, don't forget to stabilize it. The August 2012 issue of Practical Sailor finally tested and chose a winner; Biobor EB "Ethanol Buster" for E10 gas that we are cursed with here in NJ.

I've had good luck with sea foam

And the year before that we had Irene... Hope this century doesn't turn into a hurricane-every-5-years period. I learned my lesson the hard way; next time I'm sailing the boat up to Albany and letting out 300' of line... (but I still have a boat that floats, unlike many unfortunate individuals.)

I grew up in the 1950s. I remember seeing houses in the Delaware River that had floated down river with flooding, and they were there for years. I don't think that Sandy was the first time in recent memory that the NJ barrier islands were breached. If we're back to the weather patterns of the 1940s and 1950s, there may be some more Irenes.

I dunno about more Sandys. I hope not.

It's occurred to me that the old "hurricane lanterns" and "hurricane shutters" were called that for a reason.

Yes, we have a small generator. (And duct tape. Lots of duct tape.) But I'm willing to play the odds and just keep enough gas in a can for the snow blower. If we lose power for more than a few hours, I'll siphon gas from one of the cars or trucks. I'm not too sure that gas stored in a can will be in great shape if the next superstorm arrives 5 years from now.

I've had good luck with sea foam

Seafoam was a budget choice in that review. It rated "fair" for helping protect against corrosion on aluminum (The test was one month in gas that had "0.03% sea water" added.)

if its only sitting for a month or 2 you should be good without stabilizer, no?

I have about 20 gallons in the shed...

If you read up on the gas, 30-60 days max. without the stabllizer I would dump it in my vehicle and refill the cans with stabilizer for ethanol.

I drove down from VT thru Westchester during the brunt of the snow tonight -- white out conditions and traffic was at a standstill on NY-22. I-84 and 684 were not moving. Lots of flooding on the approach to the GWB and on the NJTP. GSP was very windy. At home in Monmouth County we have been pounded by wind and horizontal rain for a few hours -- louder than Sandy. Power flickered a couple times and we lost some siding and screens but I think it is tapering down now. I hope no one needed to use their generator tonight. Wish it was snow down here.

For those that believe their vehicles serve as supplemental fuel storage I would confirm it does not have an anti siphon ball in the fill neck. Good number of folks here got the bad news post storm when they tried to siphon.

I was one of them after Sandy. 4 cars full and no way to get the fuel out. one more week and I was going to do a Mad Max on the fuel tanks on the 3 cars that got flooded out.

Blue stabil or Startron are a better choice

Startron sucks..

we have been using crc phase 4

stabil marine is also good

one thing you need to know, tightly sealed cans are key to keeping fuel if it is exposed to the atmosphere it is only good for one - two weeks without stabil, satbilized it is only good for 3-6 weeks if exposed..and cans should be full not half empty or you are pissing in the wind..

I would not keep it for more than 6 weeks stabilized in portable cans unless they are very good cans..

I looked Biobor up online and its reviews are very high. I'm going to West Marine today to pick some up. Thanks for the tip

I looked Biobor up online and its reviews are very high. I'm going to West Marine today to pick some up. Thanks for the tip

I found it on Amazon, free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. I bought the 16 oz. bottle first to see how it works.