RecessedFilter

Obama Press Conf. Thread - Combined

the only way i would agree to national NICS is the stipulation that NO WEAPON INFO/SERIAL NUMBER will be given, recorded, or required

This.

If it's just truly a National Instant Criminal Background Check then they have no need to know WHAT it is that I'm buying. Even knowing if it is long gun or handgun is too much for them to know; It has no bearing on if I am a criminal or not.

I can see the benefit of a COE to the seller, as proof that the sale was to a eligible person.. agree that submission of a COE would equate to registration and must be avoided.

For the COE to remain in the sellers' possession....that's fine. THEN, if that gun is used in a crime, they'll come knocking on seller's door, after which he can supply the COE to show the transfer. (For FTF transfers) I'm not sure what the current FFL's do with their COE's (do they just keep them on file, or do they send copies to some state/federal agency?)

Agreed. I don't want dangerous, mentally sick people to have access to firearms. But if you make doctors liable in some manner for not reporting someone who later turns violent then the doctors will err on the side of reporting. Better for the doctor to false-positive people than allow one to slip through.

It will then become "known" that if you seek treatment for a mental illness that you run a high risk of being flagged and losing your RKBA, and correspondingly very few who have or want the RKBA will voluntarily seek treatment.

Where do you find balance in this?

Precisely -- where is the balance? I know for 100% certain that it is NOT found in a dictatorial directive. This is what the legislative process is designed for, I think -- to find ways to square the circle of difficult and sensitive issues. A letter from the President is both arrogant and a complicating factor. It can only further the problem.

This, undeniably, is where Family comes into play, or should. Families need to take responsibility here, backed up by doctors and as the final step, if needed, law enforcement. I guess a large part of the problem here is that the Family is pretty much gutted as a social institution. So, what fills the vacuum, the Gov't bureaucrat? That seems to be the path we're on.

and what if you lost the COE when they come knocking? what then?

Tough...don't lose it? ...let them search your place to show you don't have it?

Tough issues require very thoughtful solutions. I don't know.

All I do know is, back home in WV....this stuff is nearly a non-issue. The whole gun politics thing is new to me. I used to buy ammo at the local gas station when I was 15.

On 1/16/2013 at 0:59 PM, SpacemanFry said:

I agree. This is mostly window dressing with very little substance. This is GOOD. Hell, I wish he made another 23 EOs with BS like this to further give the hoplophobe retards out there something to hang their hat on.

As always, the true fight is in Congress and that's where we need to make our voices heard. In fact I think these EOs did us a favor, by giving some democratic reps and senators an out to vote against any further bans by saying something has been done and more studies are needed etc...

I wasn't able to watch the press conference and only skimmed the play by play above but did Obama mention the laws passed by NY?

No, nothing was mentioned of new york.

Just kept talking about kids, and kids letters, and saftey of kids, and kids who like pink, and BANNING EVERYTHING THAT WILL Do nothing

Just got this email from the ATF

http://content.govde...b?reqfrom=share

Asking FFL's to assist private citizens in FTF sales.

It says "FFLs may charge administrative fees to do so consistent with any law requirements"

which makes sense considering the FFL is charged for running the NICS, but since now all F2F transfers will require a NICS will the fee structure be changed? Will it be opened to private citizens, or will all F2F have to go through a FFL now?

I wish we were allowed to see what exactly Obama signed this morning; The papers released by the White house today is pretty ambigious

[quote name=The President’s Plan to Protect our Children and our Communities

by Reducing Gun Violence]REQUIRE BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL GUN SALES: Felons, fugitives,

and others who are legally prohibited from having a gun should not be able to

use loopholes to get one. Right now, federally licensed firearms dealers are

required to run background checks on those buying guns, but studies estimate

that nearly 40 percent of all gun sales are made by private sellers who are exempt

from this requirement. As the President said following the Newtown tragedy,

keeping guns out of the wrong hands starts with legislation to require

background checks for all gun sales, with limited, common-sense exceptions for

cases like certain transfers among family members and temporary transfers for

hunting and sporting purposes. In addition, the Administration will provide

licensed dealers with guidance on how they can run background checks on private sales today.

To the people who think this is all just window dressing, pay REAL close attention to the mental health stuff in there, particularly the parts about the CDC research and bypassing HIPAA. As I said in a post elsewhere, there are certain medications that people take for pain relief and other uses that are also used as anti depressants. Don't think for a second that if HIPAA records are released as part of the NICS that this won't impact a lot of Americans with no problems at all. Not to mention, if the CDC begins to report that gun ownership itself is part of a mental disease or disorder, they'll suddenly gain a lot of traction towards loftier goals. Behold a goddamned pale horse.

To the people who think this is all just window dressing, pay REAL close attention to the mental health stuff in there, particularly the parts about the CDC research and bypassing HIPAA. As I said in a post elsewhere, there are certain medications that people take for pain relief and other uses that are also used as anti depressants. Don't think for a second that if HIPAA records are released as part of the NICS that this won't impact a lot of Americans with no problems at all. Not to mention, if the CDC begins to report that gun ownership itself is part of a mental disease or disorder, they'll suddenly gain a lot of traction towards loftier goals. Behold a goddamned pale horse.

Not only that, but you will see people rejecting counsel and medication because of all the control they are trying to instill. I will never see a doctor and talk about my problems EVER! not after this.

THIS^^^

This is the path forward I envision.

The violation of HIPAA is just as outrageous.

When is enough enough? Wait too long and there won't be a damn thing any of us can do about it.

Besides fear mongering, on what basis would the CDC consider gun ownership a disease?

Agreed, it might be far fetched, but this is the same Administration that got its EPA to classify water vapor Carbon Dioxide (I'm not a 'science guy') as a greenhouse gas. I guess they think we should all stop breathing.There is NOTHING that should be put past these people.

Agreed, it might be far fetched, but this is the same Administration that got its EPA to classify water vapor Carbon Dioxide (I'm not a 'science guy') as a greenhouse gas. I guess they think we should all stop breathing.There is NOTHING that should be put past these people.

Absolutely. What action can we take on the EO that the President signed today? Fairly little, i would think aside from voicing our opinions. We should continue to do that. BUT what we should do is FOCUS and attack the REAL issues at hand: AWB 2.0, which will include a magazine and ammo ban. That's what we should be directing our energy towards. If we can push the Congressional stuff to it's tipping point and make it politically toxic, then that would be optimal. You have to remember, when Clinton pushed through the original AWB, he was a very popular president. The current sitting President? Not so much, even amongst his hardcore followers. We NEED to continue the pressure on Congress. I keep on saying this, but that's what is going to take us to get past this battle.

My 2 cents on the FTF issue is that we as responsible gun owner going through continuous background checks, and for all other proposed measures to purchase firearms and ammo should be grant a FFL Licence in return.

If we have to give a little we should receive a little after all we are all responsible law abiding citizens.

My 2 cents on the FTF issue is that we as responsible gun owner going through continuous background checks, and for all other proposed measures to purchase firearms and ammo should be grant a FFL Licence in return.

If we have to give a little we should receive a little after all we are all responsible law abiding citizens.

we will receive nothing. hussien will never give gun owners a thing

its to push his own personal agenda. NWO or whatever you call it. if it was really about gun control, there wouldnt be a single word about drs, sharing info, 'affordable health care', anything. like someone else posted, hes trying to cram his motherloving obamacare down our throats, and weave it into every facet of our lives.