mikeytapz13

revolver opinion needed

hey guys just need some opinions on a future revolver purchase. currently i am a strictly semi-auto kinda guy, with very little experience in the world of revolvers. honestly the only one ive shot is my fathers ruger lcr in 38 special...in short, im looking for something that out of the box will be good for target, as well as something to switch up my idpa game. as i mentioned not much knowledge with them, so i would appreciate your opinions. my wife is also a shooter, and though calibers are not an issue(she got mad when i sold my desert eagle in 50ae) she does have smaller hands, as do i. any input would help, and price range is not an issue...thanks guys

I don't have that much revolver experience but I can tell you I bought a S&W 686 last year. It came with a hogue grip on it (I think that was standard at the time). I love it, it's great to shoot. Very comfortable, accurate and you can load 38 or 357. A few of my friends have shot it and all have loved it. Even those with smaller hands.

My family has been huge Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk fans.

I think my dad has:

Ruger Single Six .22LR

Ruger Old Model Blackhawk .41 mag

Ruger Redhawk .41 mag

Ruger Redhawk .357 mag

Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag

His favorite by FAR is the .41 mag Blackhawk. Watch my dad decapitate a chipmunk at ~50 yards with his....killed turkeys at ~80 yards with it. It's also taken many deer and a couple black bears.

gp100 or 686

686+ has 7 shots but the cylinder is wider

N frames may not be good for smaller hands, so I didn't recommend the 629 or 627

you can always buy new smaller grips

or you can try them out first as a rental or at the store

revolvers in single action are so so accurate it amazes me everytime

gp100 or 686

686+ has 7 shots but the cylinder is wider

N frames may not be good for smaller hands, so I didn't recommend the 629 or 627

you can always buy new smaller grips

or you can try them out first as a rental or at the store

ha my experience with a rental revolver did not go to well...probably one of the reasons why i never sought out to buy one....i know it was an SW, couldnt tell you the model....however literally ever other shot did not fire...im assuming it was because it has not been cleaned since it was at the range, needless to say, it was a big upset

...in short, im looking for something that out of the box will be good for target, as well as something to switch up my idpa game.

A lot of you offering revolvers for sale seem to have missed the above statement in the OP. IDPA requires a barrel length of no more than 4.2" and you can only load 6-rounds at a time - that doesn't preclude 7 or 8 shot revolvers, but they are a PITA in IDPA competition since you would be using only a partially filled speedloader and you would have to properly index the cylinder when closing.

If you want something right out of the box, I'd suggest looking at a S&W 686 SSR, made specifically to compete in IDPA - which doesn't effect its use for general range use. Or an older 6-round 686. You may even want to consider having it modified for moonclips. This modification still allows you to use it without moons or with a speedloader, which means you could shoot in both SSR and ESR.

I'd suggest a 625, but the "small hands" may present a problem with the larger N-frame.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have (actually fiance does) a 686+ pro series 5". I think it's amazing. The double action feels like swiss watch craftsmanship. IMHO the double action is vastly superior on S&W compared to Ruger and the like. I find it to be the perfect revolver for range fun, except I'd prefer it to have a contrast front sight.

Another for Ruger GP100. Colt revolvers are better than Rugers & S&W's but not real plentiful and kind of pricey. Have you considered SA revolver. Ruger Vaquero's come in just about any caliber you like and are way fun to shot.

Oh, I dunno about Colt being a better revolver. Many fine revolvers made by Colt, anf they aren't so pricey but some perhaps unduly wearing the the sky high price tag. Especially the tendency for the snakes to jump time...

Oh, I dunno about Colt being a better revolver. Many fine revolvers made by Colt, anf they aren't so pricey but some perhaps unduly wearing the the sky high price tag. Especially the tendency for the snakes to jump time...

Colt revolvers are fine pieces but I too can not justify the price.

Bob's right SSR686 is awesome too but check this out.

small grips on a 6" gp100. awesome.

I know, it's longer than 4.2 but it shows you can have small grips on a good size gun

gp100_zps1a70504b.jpg

Dem grip panels! Where did you get those?

Also, another GP100 vote. Hell of a revolver.

Smaller hands... Ruger Security Six with 4" barrel and adjustable sights....

Something like this, but I would prefer stainless:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326998532