jamesbod

What pistol are you waiting forever for?

A Richard Heinie 1911 Officer that I sent to him for a tune up and metal work (scallops on the front strap). Mailed out on July 2010. Has not started to work on it yet. If it wasnt a full custom heinie then I would have chosen someone else to do the work. Once another smith touches it then the resale value goes down from a collector's standpoint.

A Richard Heinie 1911 Officer that I sent to him for a tune up and metal work (scallops on the front strap). Mailed out on July 2010. Has not started to work on it yet. If it wasnt a full custom heinie then I would have chosen someone else to do the work. Once another smith touches it then the resale value goes down from a collector's standpoint.

Could you have asked him to tell you when your number comes up, then ship it to him? That's a lot of down time for a gun you want to shoot. It's one reason I didn't send my Colt Series 70 to the Colt Custom shop. You just mail it to them and wait over a year for them to do their work.

Well Lunker. Some shops work like that and others dont. Cylinder & Slide calls you to send in your gun then it will be worked on in the next couple months. Some shops want the gun there and let it sit b/c they do certain jobs in bunches. So you may want to have your front strap checkered but they wont be doing front strap checkering for 6 months then they will do 100 guns in a row. Easier for them to hold onto the gun for an extended period of time. Inconvenient for the customer though.

My situation with the Heinie is a little different. I never signed it out from my FFL dealer b/c I didnt have a pistol permit at the time. My FFL sent it to Heinie directly and when its done Heinie will send it back to my FFL. Then I have to sign it out with a pistol permit.

Could you have asked him to tell you when your number comes up, then ship it to him? That's a lot of down time for a gun you want to shoot. It's one reason I didn't send my Colt Series 70 to the Colt Custom shop. You just mail it to them and wait over a year for them to do their work.