Bob B

How to Run for State Assembly

We are putting together a series of meetings where we will develop a duplicatable process that will allow anyone to run for State Assembly. No party affiliation required to attend. You can run under any party you want to. We will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of running under either party or as an Independent in your district.

The first meeting will discuss how to get on the ballot for the June primary. There is still time. We have until April 1st. The meeting is in Bellville this Thursday. http://nj2as.com/EVENTS?eventId=636790&EventViewMode=EventDetails

I don't know about you, but hearing ASM Mainor say the words "you'll be able to testify... after we vote" and seeing 200 people locked out of the State House and 100 more shuttered in a spare room with no way to be heard was the last straw for me. My mission in life is now replacing every one of those sorry SOB's. It may take more than one election, but they all have to go.

Hope to see you at the meeting. Please consider attending even if you don't want to run. Perhaps there will be someone from your district that you can help.

I'm a bit of a scumbag or I'd give it a go.

C

thats a pre-req to being a politician. you got the best shot so far.

Lol. Don't rule yourself out so quickly. We are going to talk about strategy that can make a difference even if you do not get ellected. Also, even if you don't run, you can help get someone else on the ballot by learning how to help get some of the 100 signatures required on the petition. This is going to be a team effort and a long term strategy. Everyone can be part of it.

thats a pre-req to being a politician. you got the best shot so far.

Have you ever supported a foreign terrorist organization?

Do you display photographs in your office of yourself in the company of known foreign terrorists?

Has an immediate member of your family ever had a restraining order against you?

Has any immediate member of your family ever been convicted of felony assault and/or repeated DUI?

Has your father ever been charged with racketeering and had the charges dismissed on a procedural technicality?

Has any business owned by you or your family been shut down for serving alcohol to minors?

Despite all of this has the state seen fit to provide you with a no-show law enforcement job and permission to carry a concealed weapon?

If any or all of the above apply, you are qualifed to be the Majority Leader of the Assembly.

Seriously, we need a lot of input into this from the pros. We have a lot of money and a lot of time. Deployed correctly, we can change the outcome of several elections. Deployed wrong, it's going to be wasted.

My brother is a union organizer, now in law school. (yes, we are very different people.) I talked to him about it last night and he gave me some advice. One is, just stay away from Hudson County, which runs on an "underground economy." Notice how little money is listed in Mr. Mainor's contribution disclosure?

http://ballotpedia.o.../Charles_Mainor

Notice that a man with an annual income of $49,000 and a home in foreclosure has $9000 to fund himself.

We could play by these rules, but without the political patronage these people have developed, we'd be exposed in a second and really hurt our reputation.

My personal opinion is that it's probably more useful to fund opposition candidates with real prospects than it is to set up brand new one issue candidates with no experience. We don't have to like the opposition. Once they're bought and paid for, they'll do as they're told.

I really think Cryan could be vulnerable in a primary challenge. Look at how narrow his victory was.

http://ballotpedia.o...le=Joseph_Cryan

I don't know who Tony Monteiro (Montana?) or Carlos Cedeno are, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that with $20,000 in extra campaign funds in a district that's 33% Hispanic, they'd have a real chance to get the extra 1000 votes they'd need to unseat Cryan. If that's not enough, add another $10,000 in "opposition research." It may sound like a lot of money, but it's a lot less than the amount of income the people gave up to come to that hearing. It's the amount that 10 Vlads spend in one year of shooting.

The Cryan family came up in a time when the Irish mob ran swaths of New Jersey, and people didn't have the guerilla technology we now have to expose underhanded dealings. Imagine how that committee meeting would have turned out 20 years ago, before cell phone video, real time online forums, univeral access to email, and youtube? Those times are gone.

I am ammending my run in other threads. My zip code is in District 31, but my home is in District 33.

Only thing this changes for me is who I am running against. I am still going to run and will be at the Meeting Thursday.

Connors is one of your ASM and is on the Law and Public Safety Committee. He was there during the hearing and voted yes on every bill.

we just need to be careful to not run against pro 2 guys. my assemblyman is scott rumana and hes pro 2a. and david russo who i think is neutral. but my state senator is Kevin otoole who sponsored the right to carry bill. we need to support guys like this also since they are already established and then get new guys in anti run districts. this way we will control everything.

I hate playing racial politics. It turns my stomach. But you know what they say about strange bedfellows.

It looks like Connors is pretty well-protected, but there was strong resistance to seating a non-Hispanic in his seat.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/hudson_county_democrats_tap_je.html

we just need to be careful to not run against pro 2 guys. my assemblyman is scott rumana and hes pro 2a. and david russo who i think is neutral. but my state senator is Kevin otoole who sponsored the right to carry bill. we need to support guys like this also since they are already established and then get new guys in anti run districts. this way we will control everything.

+1 (relatively) , my guys too. I also have Cman Garrett. Not a bad bunch of guys to have, just would like to see them a bit more vocal and show some perceived outrage about these 2A attacks. However theres still a few more chances for that, hopefully they are gearing up. Wrote them, again, just a reminder.

Have you ever supported a foreign terrorist organization?

Do you display photographs in your office of yourself in the company of known foreign terrorists?

Has an immediate member of your family ever had a restraining order against you?

Has any immediate member of your family ever been convicted of felony assault and/or repeated DUI?

Has your father ever been charged with racketeering and had the charges dismissed on a procedural technicality?

Has any business owned by you or your family been shut down for serving alcohol to minors?

Despite all of this has the state seen fit to provide you with a no-show law enforcement job and permission to carry a concealed weapon?

If any or all of the above apply, you are qualifed to be the Majority Leader of the Assembly.

Somehow, this needs to be put out there when Cryan is up for re-election.

So glad NJ2AS is doing this!

Anyone for District 22? You'll have my vote lickety-split.

Edit: Nicholas Scutari, Linda Stender, and Jerry Green all voted for OGAM. They have to go!

How about you?

Robert... I could use the help down here in Cherry Hill. I can't make that meeting... will any docs or powerpoints be available?

We are planning on doing the same class in Tom's River and possibly SJSC. If you can't make any of those I'll meet with you personally.

I do not really post to much on here but I think I have just read the single most important/significant/valuable topic that the original posted has written that this board has every seen in it's existence. I can not make the 2/21 meeting but I hope I can some how participate in some future meetings relating to this topic.

How about you?

Oh how I wish! I would love nothing more than to clean up my public speaking and run as a Libertarian and break the two-party system! But I'm most likely attending grad school out of state and moving to North Carolina, Florida, Maryland, or Maine (possibly staing in NJ for Rutgers, but that's only a 1 in 5 shot). I'll be maintaining dual residency with my parents' house and keep voting here, but won't be around full-time for a political presence. :(

This is the State Assembly - not a full time gig. Most in the Assembly have full time jobs. However, that is moot. I can't emphasize enough (saying this for everyone, not just you) - you don't have to win the election to make a difference. Winning is certainly the objective and would be great. But losing can have some benefits, too. Come to the meeting with an open mind. There will be a big "aha" moment.

This is the State Assembly - not a full time gig. Most in the Assembly have full time jobs. However, that is moot. I can't emphasize enough (saying this for everyone, not just you) - you don't have to win the election to make a difference. Winning is certainly the objective and would be great. But losing can have some benefits, too. Come to the meeting with an open mind. There will be a big "aha" moment.

I'm registered for the meeting and will certainly attend...mind is open. ;)