wooly bugger

Spoke to FFL about NICS

You have your non fact based opinion and I have mine.

I waited 8 days for a m38 mosin last week, and then right This before Christmas I waited 7 days for a lower and a m44.

Then last month I waited 8 days for a 91/30, 1903A4 and a PU. at the same time TJ had a Argetine Mauser which took 4 days.

So between the end of December and now I have made many purcauses all for unscary rifles, at my yearly normal purchasig

rates and not a one was same day.

My facts add up if you look at the situation as a whole and talk to the nics unit and others.. again your allowed your opinion but i think its just not help full to make people think the AG is somehow doing this.. its not necessary. Those purchases you talked about were in the middle of the buying frenzy... This is the longest i have seen nics.. last month it was 3 days... it is possible your nics came back "Delayed" its hard to tell these days since we are not on the phone with nics at the time the reply comes in. I have been told a couple of my customers were delayed then approved.

You have your non fact based opinion and I have mine.

I waited 8 days for a m38 mosin last week, and then right This before Christmas I waited 7 days for a lower and a m44.

Then last month I waited 8 days for a 91/30, 1903A4 and a PU. at the same time TJ had a Argetine Mauser which took 4 days.

So between the end of December and now I have made many purcauses all for unscary rifles, at my yearly normal purchasig

rates and not a one was same day.

What is non fact based? I submitted my paperwork last week and am still waiting, that is fact. I submitted right before Christmas and have approval in 1 day, that also is fact. I too have made many purchases between the end of December and now, all but one was an unscary rifle and even that one only took 1 day to come back in December. I also have had 2 handgun purchases in that time period which took 3 days to come back. Since December my LGS has had my approvals back in 1-4 days up until last week.

What is non fact based? I submitted my paperwork last week and am still waiting, that is fact. I submitted right before Christmas and have approval in 1 day, that also is fact. I too have made many purchases between the end of December and now, all but one was an unscary rifle and even that one only took 1 day to come back in December. I also have had 2 handgun purchases in that time period which took 3 days to come back. Since December my LGS has had my approvals back in 1-4 days up until last week.

You do know that when we submit a nics they dont know that your buying... the options are long gun handgun or both.. They have no way to know if you have an AR, a lower or a cowboy gun. The fact that you waited so long is a fact and your not lone

Anyone know how long a Nics check is taking in another state?

didn't we just hear about how mr giffords bought an AR in minutes to show how fast the background check is?

I say a lawsuit is in order.

NICS is instant in other states or close to it.

What I did hear is that the NJSP are responding only to fax and not phone calls. That helped slow things way down. Maybe THAT was deliberately designed to slow things down, who knows, pure speculation.

But national NICS also has delays on the phone, but there's E-NICS for some states.

NICS is instant in other states or close to it.

What I did hear is that the NJSP are responding only to fax and not phone calls. True. Started that on 12/17/2013. That helped slow things way down. Actually, it sped things up. Trying waiting on the phone for 20-30 minutes for one check until they get to you. With faxes, it can be done anytime. In fact, I have done them after midnight back in December. Maybe THAT was deliberately designed to slow things down, who knows, pure speculation.

But national NICS also has delays on the phone, but there's E-NICS for some states. And soon to be here. Oops. :secret:

NJ is 3 days but good like finding an FFL that will follow through with it. Not worth the liability if they sell a gun and then a denial comes in because the person became a prohibited person since their last purchase.

We are just as frustrated with the system as you are. I found several references in this post to FFL's not wanting to stick their neck out and transfer a firearm after three days. In order to understand you first need to know the law. NICS can respond to a check with three different responses. Approved and Denied need no further explanation. However they may respond with "Pending" and there are many reasons why that may happen. If I perform a NICS check and the response is "Pending" THEN and only then does the three day period start. And it reads "within three (3) business days (exclusive of the day on which the query was made) or the transfer may proceed".

There is no time limit for them to make their initial response. The three day rule only applies to pending responses only.

As far as the comment that NJ is the only POC state that is again not true. Here is the NICS lineup

Full Participants (13):States that conduct NICS checks for all firearms purchases and/or for alternate permits for handguns and long guns

Partial Participants (8):States that perform checks for handgun permits, while the FBI performs NICS checks for long gun purchases

States that perform NICS checks for handgun purchases, while the FBI performs NICS checks for long gun purchases (4)

Nonparticipants (35):The FBI performs NICS checks on both handguns and long guns for

Now, in most of the other states the "State Run" NICS check (PA included) is not broken like NJ. New Jersey is struggling to move their system from the antiquated 900 phone number system to a computerized system, and internally struggling to fix antiquated software systems that checks all the other databases they need to check from all the various counties. It is so nuts that FFL's have to contract with a third party communications company to get your fax number authorized for charging. So when we fax in a NICS check the telephone contractor recognizes the caller ID and bills the individual's credit card for the fax that is about to be transmitted. Guess what, faxes don't always go through. I am amazed there is still fax machine technology. So when the State hangs up on you in the middle of your transmission you have to contact the communications company to get the charge removed from your bill.

The phone number system is broken because they are working on a system where once an FFL registers his/her credit card they are issued a pin. When you call you type in the pin number and you will get connected.

Our state's technology is second only to the Vatican's smoke signals.

I heard the exact same thing from a local FFL yesterday. I stopped in Ed's in Deptford to see if he had any .38 or .357 (he didn't) and had a good 1/2 hr conversation with Ed the younger, and that's what he told me too. Of course, he also said he ordered 2 cases of .38 special ammo a couple months ago and has so far only seen 5 boxes... He had definite concerns about ammo supplies; he said it's even getting hard to find 12 ga. shotgun shells, especially buck shot.

i waited 9 days for a nics from ED'S... good people in there... they were kinda shocked and as irritated as i was..

they are the kinda shop that you ask "how much are these glock mags on the wall?" 'ed' "we have glock mags?!?!" lol

they have no clue what they have lol

I'm not saying its right, but I'd rather wait be a few days than see a firearm in the hands of someone that shouldn't have one. With that said, I hope thet fix the issue soon.

I'm no longer inclined to have a waiting period just so the government can feel good about not putting something in the hands of a criminal who generally doesn't go through the NICS process in the first place...

I'm not saying its right, but I'd rather wait be a few days than see a firearm in the hands of someone that shouldn't have one. With that said, I hope thet fix the issue soon.

Wait time went from 10-15 minutes to 7-9 days on double the number of checks. Even with double the checks that would make the delay 20-30 minutes. This is INTENTIONAL!!

Anyone that wants a gun and cannot legally get one will get one through other means.

What about people like me that already have OVER 20 GUNS! Why are they still running checks??????????????? Criminals and people that shouldn't have guns will ALWAYS find a way to get them. Doesn't look like the DEA has stopped the drug trade now have they?