Dan

When your own mom ....

Would love to see all guns banned. What do you do?

I'm amazed that I was raised by my own mother sometimes. She is the definitive Obama supporter. She would happily give up her rights for a promise of government safety. She would love it if I had to turn in all my firearms. She believes the government will take care of us, and knows what is best for us.

No matter what logic that I use with her, nothing sinks in. Her eyes glaze over with big "hope and change" O's.

Yes, my own mother is the type of person that I most disagree with, but of course I still love with all of my heart.

ask her how well Chicago is doing...

Kindly remind her that hope and change have led to the highest multi-year deficit in America's history which in turn has led to the highest debt ever. Also ask her how well the job market is even for new college grads? Then remind her that someone will have to pay for al of this iand it will most definitely start with you and me but the majority of the burdon will be with her grandchildren.

You could even follow up and ask her how many of O's original friends are still standing by his side including the reverend Wright and Oprah...neither of which even speak to him anymore.

No matter what logic that I use with her, nothing sinks in. Her eyes glaze over with big "hope and change" O's.

Then don't. Sorry to be such a defeatist, but some people are so entrenched in their beliefs that anything you do to try to convince them to otherwise is just a waste of breath. Just like how anti-gun people can't convince gun owners to believe what they believe (although most of the time the arguments are either non factual or wrong interpreted statistics). The people that you're going to convince to be pro gun are the fence sitters, and the weakly anti gun people.

My parents are anti gun as well. And that's why I have to sell the USP that I bought...

It's sad to see it, the media is forming new left/liberals by the truck loads. I recently hung out with some buddies who too have "flipped script" and now see things differently then pro-gun. Talk to her/them. One thing you have to do is keep your cool. State the facts. Do your research. Here is some for starters. In 2012 there was a total of 10,136 DUI related deaths, also in 2012 there was 801 deaths caused by feet and hands (no foreign objects used) AND in 2012 the total of "assualt rifle" deaths came in at 348. If she is a drinker or enjoys wine then this should be an easy win conversation for you. Also, let her answer the question of "What makes a criminal a criminal?'' Most of the time the response is "A person who breaks the law" Soooooo with stricter gun LAWS only affecting LAW ABIDING citizens would make criminals stop? I think you see where it will lead. But dont get defensive and keep your cool.

I'm amazed that I was raised by my own mother sometimes. She is the definitive Obama supporter. She would happily give up her rights for a promise of government safety. She would love it if I had to turn in all my firearms. She believes the government will take care of us, and knows what is best for us.

Yes, my own mother is the type of person that I most disagree with, but of course I still love with all of my heart.

my mom was like this for as long as i can remember. you just have to be patient, and work on/with her slowly and patiently. mine came 'round, and will be taking her first shooting lesson very very soon.

My Mom is exactly the same to a Tee....even the way her eyes glaze over....she is 87 and tolerated me in my childhood...which she thinks never ended...

....I give her plenty of slack........Chicago wouldnt work on her...she wouldnt argue but she knows shes right and thats that....

My wife's grandmother was pro Obama pro democrat and after months of explaining the taxes and regulations and unfairness of debt on us and how her beloved future great grandchildren will be paying off, she's decided to stop promoting the democrats and Obama and kindly abstain from political discussion and if any one asks, she apparently tells them she doesn't support the democrats or Obama. Took a while but when related to how it can directly impact her grandchildren and great grandchildren, she realized the evil at play.

My sister and I are diametrically opposed re: politics, personal responsibility, etc. Raised by the same mom, only 2 years apart in age.

We jsut don't discuss it. Neither of us are going to change our opinions, so we just concentrate on easier topics, no sense wasting the energy and causing strife.

Ask her how she expects us to pay off the debt. Show her this site. http://www.usdebtclock.org/

He promised us the cut the debt in half by 2012. I believe he doubled it by 2012.

Tell her that she'll either be paying that for the rest of her life in taxes, or will have to live through a complete economic crash, due to our government's incompetent economic policies.

My advice would be to not discuss politics. It will make Thanksgiving much more pleasant.

This made me giggle snort.

I came to withen an inch of throwing my step father out of my house the first Thanksgiving because he called me a racist for poking fun at Youtube video of the woman who was so happy that Obama got elected and was going to pay for her gas. I almost shat myself when he told me he voted for Obama.

Out of no where he's become a progressive, and it's gotten so bad that we're no longer comfortable allowing unsupervised visits, which naturally has my Mom pissed at me.

It's an issue.

Your folks I assume dont want any firearms in their home? Sorry to hear. Sadly im sure in the event of a catastrophic event theyd be singing a different tune.

Yep. Well a bit more than that actually. They just don't want me having one period. They subscribe to the theory that well intentioned law abiding gun owners can have a moment of anger and misjudgment and shoot up everything. I'll be graduating in a year (barring any catastrophic incidents with my grades, which I don't foresee happening), and will hopefully find a decent engineering job and proceed from there. In the mean time, their house, their rules.

Nonetheless, my parents mean a lot to me, and I love them.

It's sad to see it, the media is forming new left/liberals by the truck loads. I recently hung out with some buddies who too have "flipped script" and now see things differently then pro-gun.

I think that's why I think it's important to introduce proper firearms safety and knowledge to kids at an appropriate age. Whether they choose to own (or even like) guns when they grow up is up to them, but at least they know the truth behind them, know more about them. The anti-gun media, whether it be a news outlet or a MAIG ad, is targeted at those who don't know better, those who will believe everything they see because it comes from a source they normally trust.

My advice would be to not discuss politics. It will make Thanksgiving much more pleasant.

This. In the very end, all you have left is your family. As long as you can do what you want to do (ie, keep your guns), put the differences aside if it means you're going to be closer.

And there seems to be a lot of people bringing in debt, party politics, etc. into the debate? Why? If you're going to debate about gun control, debate about gun control. Arguing about party platforms and their resulting issues when gun control is the topic doesn't get you anywhere, except for making you look like a jerk who couldn't come up with a good argument for gun rights, so you attacked other issues brought on by an anti gun president/party. A lot of people seem to try to make gun control a political party issue, and to the pro gun people, it is. We know that Republicans have a strong track record in terms of the 2A. But if you're arguing with a democrat about gun control, and then you say "Democrats are stupid," not only will you fight a battle about gun control, but you're going to fight about abortion, fiscal policy, and the millions of other things that the parties fight over. Fighting 50 battles instead of 1 is a whole lot harder.

My mom is pro-Obama and anti guns, but guess who was the first person knocking at my door when sandy hit because she didn't feel safe. Kinda felt like telling her, Mom don't worry stay home the government will protect you. But unloved her too much :-D

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

I come from a very liberal family background and my parents are both psychologists. They have told me many times that if it weren't for me being able to explaining the gun laws and other particulars they would think all guns should be banned.

I am very happy to say that I have been able to talk to and convince them that;

-Ordering 6,000 rounds of ammuntion via the internet is not an indicator of intent, explaining the hazmat fees and volume discounts. It holds a lot of weight with them when I tell them I order a few thousand every year.

- That there is great fear that anti gun mental health pracitioners will add people to the prohibited list if given the chance merely to stop everyone they can. In this regard, I feel I made a great contribution to their circles. To start them thinking about how their profession is the big question mark as well as big reason for resistance to passing new laws has given them pause. After all, they do want to do what is fair. They get it.

- That 76 bills in New Jersey alone, let alone all the garbage in New York, is the gravest of concerns and that Obama talking about a federal AWB means nothing in their state (NY) because of state legislation banning them anyway.

-That people that do not know anything about guns need to talk to people that do so that whatever they are planning really does make as much sense as they think it does. You should have seen them recoil when I told them about the bill to put an F on NJ state drivers licenses.

I find I really like being the one they listen too when it comes to the debate. If it were not for me they would get no good information at all.

My sister is anti gun, we go into the discussion about it several weeks ago. My last statement was when the SHTF don't call me looking for protection. I got blank stares and a comment of "you wouldn't protect us"? I said NO, I am only concerned about me and my fiance, if you and your husband are worried about your families saftey and security buy a gun, don't be anti gun then want one there when your unarmed and scared. This will never be brought up to me again and I am fine with that

That is my mother too, except she respects both me and my father enough to know that despite her dislike of firearms we are adults capable of making our own decisions, which include owning them. While I doubt I will ever get her to go shooting with us, she knows I like shooting, and that my dad enjoys shooting with me, and totally encourages us to go to the range. That doesn't stop her from complaining why I 'need so many' though!

My mother is the same way. She caught a disease called MSNBC. It is nearly impossible to get rid of. I think Death is the only way now. I only call her once in a while to see how she is doing because she is my Mom. Just let it go and don't talk to her about stuff like guns. Obama will be gone in 3 years and her beliefs may fade with him. We can only hope.

Be pleasant to her and show her you are in control of your temper, etc. Do not talk about and/or rub guns in her face all of the time. Do not talk about politics with her. It's not worth it.

But, get her a gift certificate to a shooting range for Mother's Day. Make sure its transferable, though.