gfl216

Glock 19 Gen 4 VS S&W M&Pc 9mm

This is easy, you need to shoot each one and then make the decision we cannot make this as each pistol is different to each person. I was never Glock person until I shot one. I didn't like there looks and was just turned off by them. Then I shot a G34 and was much better with it than my CZ-75 or my STI Spartan. So I now shoot Glock over all my other pistols.

So take your time and shoot the hell out of them if you can rent them then decide!!! Then buy them both!

While I've not shot a M&P another thing to consider is the price and availability of up grade parts,accessories and mags. Right now M&P owners are lamenting on the S&W forum the scarcity and price of M&P mags and the seemingly ominous development that the S&W store has dropped all but the 10 round mags for the M&P's.Some are even threatening to buy Glocks instead...which coming from S&W enthusiast is akin to blasphemy.

Frankly, you can't go wrong with either gun.

The G19 has a few advantages:

* 15 round magazine standard

* Pre-Newtown, the magazines were cheap and plentiful.

* You can get a .22LR conversion kit

The M&P9c has a few advantages:

* It actually fits a human hand

* you can de-activate the striker with a pen

There are limited runs of the 15 round New Jersey magazines from Smith and Wesson.  I believe they will become more plentiful now that Colorado has gone to 15 rounds.  You can get an xGrip adapter to shoot the 15 round magazines.

IMHO, I would get the S&W.  It just fits my hand better.  But you can't go wrong either way, with a slight advantage toward the G19 since it has the conversion kit.  

I think too much is put into "how a the gun fits the hand". Yes some guns feel better than others but reliabilty and durability are,way higher on my list. You can overcome an "feel" issues but reliabilty and durability are beyond your control.

IMO the Glock 19 is the best all around 9mm made and everyone should have one.

Definitely the M&P 9c... But install an Apex DCAEK in it. Much better ergo's than the Block and the Apex DCAEK is sweet. Don't listen to all the "reliability" hype from all the Block fanboys. The M&P is every bit as reliable and a great gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have both and couldn't stand to shoot the MP until I put in an apex trigger. Both are great guns

This post is a bit old, but it may help someone else down the line.  +1 on Gunnz's comment.  To me (and almost everyone else) the M&P fits better in the hand.  But I have no complaints about the Glock.  It also feels fine to me, just different from the M&P.  The Glock guts are extremely simple to deal with, and with the 25 cent trigger job, you can get a very smooth trigger pull.  For the M&P, the guts are slightly more complicated, but it's not brain surgery. The Apex FSS trigger kit for the M&P is RE-DIC-U-LOUS and makes the trigger feel almost as good as a 1911 (easy, Guys... I said "almost").  Before I put the Apex in the M&P I could not stand the trigger.  You can also get the Apex RAM if a tactile trigger reset is important to you, but with the insanely short trigger pull length on the Apex FSS, I personally have no need for a tactile re-set because you're pretty much letting the trigger all the way back out anyway.  If it was my money it would depend on what you want to use it for.  If the main purpose is carry/home defense, go with the Glock.  If it's just going to be a range/competition gun, go with the M&P + Apex FSS trigger kit.

M&P 9c imo, love the grip both for feel and the angle points more naturally. I would say the glock definitely has a better stock trigger but if you upgrade the m&p with the apex kit you have the best 9mm striker fired gun on he planet. Plus there is the added bonus of being made in the U.S. and smith has great cust service, if you were to have any issues (which you most likely won't because the gun is ridiculously dependable/durable) smith will fix it.

I have 2 G19's (Gen2 & Gen3) amongst other Glocks, an M&P40 w/ M&P9 barrel and 15rnd mags, and M&P45 Fullsize and have shot the M&P9C.

I've learned to like the M&P's ergo's (didn't like them at 1st and also relieve the area under the trigger guard) and really like the recoil characteristics.  The M&P's in all calibers are very very tame in the recoil department.  The M&P's come up to line of sight very nicely also.  Accuracy on my M&P 40/9 is so-so in 9MM, but since it's a conversion, I'm not expecting bullseye accuracy. Accuracy in the .40 & .45 is very good.  I DO NOT like that the rear sight must be removed to access the firing pin safety on the M&P.  Overall, I think the M&P is not too bad to work on, but I think the Glock is still superior in its mechanical simplicity.  In my mind though, I still prefer the G19.  I still think it is the perfect modern 9mm.  I also shoot it pretty well, can get 2nd shots off quickly and reasonably accurately, and it's reliable assuming one sticks to Glock mags and a parts/spring replacement every 5K cycles or so.  I specifically say cycles and not rounds since I dry fire a shit load w/ my G19's.

I really don't like that I have to replace trigger components on the M&P to get a decent trigger.  While I prefer replacing the ridged trigger on a G19 w/ the non-ridged trigger of a G17, it's not mandatory.  The Glock trigger out of the box is pretty good.  Someone mentioned mag availability is a concern on the M&P's.  I agree.  My buddy recently got an M&P9 and M&P22.  He's been relatively unsuccessful in getting mags for his pistols.  AIM currently has Glock mags at about $24.

All in all, while I like the M&P's, to me they are a series of pistols that are "almosts".  S&W almost made this a great pistol....almost.  Whereas the Glocks are what they are, but they work and work well.  Some people say, as I used to, that the Glock shape doesn't fit the hand well.  I've firmly moved to the camp of, one can learn any pattern pistol to a high degree of skill.  For me, Glocks took more focus/time to learn, but it was worth it.