mcbethr

+1 To the Clerk at TD Bank

So I moved in Cherry Hill and had to change my address.

I went to the Police Department and was met with all smiles.  They didn't take my old FID and didn't demand any extra paperwork.

When I went to TD Bank to get the $18 money order the conversation went like this:

Me: "Good morning, I need to get a money order."

Clerk: "No problem, it's going to cost $5.00.  How much is it for?"

Me: "$18."

Clerk: (Grinning) "Oh, hell, I'm not going to charge you the fee.  What are you gonna buy?"

And we BSed a bit about guns for a few minutes while he wrote up the money order.

I think there are more of us out there than we think.

It still amazes me that people are willing to risk losing their job over such small things, unless they have an in-branch policy to "offer" freebies like this to potential new customers.  Unless he/she is in a position of authority at the branch, they risk losing their job over this, since what they're giving away is not theirs to relinquish.

I think 7/11 is actually cheaper than TD.  TD is a ripoff.  There's a 7/11 on Chapel Ave, right down the street from CHPD.  It's like $2, so figure $20 each time you apply.  Very interesting that you didn't have any extra paperwork.  No next of kin form?  CHPD always gives that out.  As of this past August, they were still using it...

I think that is one of the biggest problem of being a firearm owner in this state. It's still treated as a secret society and taboo. I don't flaunt it but over the last 2 years I have been more open about owning and shooting. So far they either shoot or are interested in learning.

I think 7/11 is actually cheaper than TD.  TD is a ripoff.  There's a 7/11 on Chapel Ave, right down the street from CHPD.  It's like $2, so figure $20 each time you apply.  Very interesting that you didn't have any extra paperwork.  No next of kin form?  CHPD always gives that out.  As of this past August, they were still using it...

You know, I did have to do a next-of-kin form.  This is the first time I've applied for new FID in years, so I honestly don't remember if the form was there before or not.  I do know that CHPD sends a letter to your spouse, which is a pain.  But NJ2AS will get to them eventually.

My credit union issues cashier's checks for free, no matter the amount. I also bank with TD (since they were commerce) but I didn't like how a lot of the fees went up since the canucks bought them out. 

But it's nice to know you met someone who wasn't afraid to talk about guns! 

I think that is one of the biggest problem of being a firearm owner in this state. It's still treated as a secret society and taboo. I don't flaunt it but over the last 2 years I have been more open about owning and shooting. So far they either shoot or are interested in learning.

I talk with everyone about guns. Even my liberal coworkers who live in NYC. Some like it some don't. I don't push the issue but those that don't mind talking I talk with. 

It still amazes me that people are willing to risk losing their job over such small things, unless they have an in-branch policy to "offer" freebies like this to potential new customers.  Unless he/she is in a position of authority at the branch, they risk losing their job over this, since what they're giving away is not theirs to relinquish.

Sometimes you have to do this to get new customers, or even account holders if you're in banking. Its all about customer service and getting them to come back. In fact, the dude may be able to give away X amount of money orders if they're a new account holder or meet other criteria. 

Glad everything went smooth for you. Nice to meet other people that are receptive of the sport and hobby. 

If I were a business owner AND I trusted my employees, then I would definitely want to give them wide discretion to make this type of decision--in this case TD Bank has received a pretty decent amount of word-of-mouth advertising for $5. 

The local check cashing place in Morristown charges 50 cents for up to $1,000 last time I checked.  But what is with this money order nonsense anyway?  The state has no problem with me paying my income taxes or property taxes with a personal check, and last I check those amounts were just slightly more than the gun permit fees.

As for the employee, more power to them.  I ran a retail business for years and would let employees make on the spot discounts if they thought it would secure a sale that would otherwise be lost.

The local check cashing place in Morristown charges 50 cents for up to $1,000 last time I checked.  But what is with this money order nonsense anyway?  The state has no problem with me paying my income taxes or property taxes with a personal check, and last I check those amounts were just slightly more than the gun permit fees.

As for the employee, more power to them.  I ran a retail business for years and would let employees make on the spot discounts if they thought it would secure a sale that would otherwise be lost.

They want the money order because if its a personal check they would have to wait for it to clear thus hindering the speedy processing they strive for.

This may just be me, but talking about guns in a bank doesn't seem like a good plan.

They ask me what I am packing sometimes. Seems like a dumb question with a Glock, though. Some of my more chatty friends get talk when they bring a different gun or a shinier gun but I don't spend that much time on conversation with the tellers or managers other than being friendly.

Part of me would love to know if it really was a secret society favor. But the fact of the matter is that TD is the old Commerce Bank and they bent over backwards and did stuff like that for customers all the time. They were like the anti-bank bank.

But +1 for them either way

Part of me would love to know if it really was a secret society favor. But the fact of the matter is that TD is the old Commerce Bank and they bent over backwards and did stuff like that for customers all the time. They were like the anti-bank bank.

But +1 for them either way

Sorta. TD has some of the old commerce perks but they took away some of the real good ones.

For example, they used to refund all my ATM fees at other ATMs. Not anymore. I didn't abuse it but it was nice to have that perk.

No minimum balance, ever. Now they have a $100 minimum balance for my checking account.

Free coin counting for everyone, account holder or not. Now it's just free for account holders only. 

This may just be me, but talking about guns in a bank doesn't seem like a good plan.

It's that line of thinking, that has given the gun control groups far more power than they should have. By making firearms a taboo subject to talk about in public they have managed to create the illusion that firearm ownership is a tiny minority of extremists, to non gun owners. These forums have plenty of examples illustrating how by making firearms taboo they have been able to isolate gun owners from one another and even more importantly greatly hampered us from getting new people interested in firearms. How many times have we seen threads along the lines of "I was talking with X person at Y place, the subject of firearms came up, and to my surprise it turned out that X person was also a firearm owner" sometimes with even "Z group of people around joined in, who were also firearm owners or interested in firearms". Yet we are always surprised by these discoveries of other people with an interest in firearms, because subconsciously we believe we actually are a very small minority of people.

What we need to do is talk more openly in public about firearms. We need to make it not a taboo subject to talk about, because once that happens the amount of power the anti's have in the firearm debate will greatly diminish as more and more non firearm owners realize the firearm owners, are their neighbors, coworkers, friends and even family members. Than instead of just taking the anti's at face value, and ignoring the "extremist gun owners" they will know that those supposed "extremist gun owners" are not actually extremists, and are quite logical and level headed.

When I worked retail I made a fair amount of on the fly minor price changes to keep customers at the register happy.  I'm talking a few cents here and there when they thought something was on sale and it wasn't ringing up correctly.  The managers were OK with it and it kept many customers coming back.

Sorta. TD has some of the old commerce perks but they took away some of the real good ones.

For example, they used to refund all my ATM fees at other ATMs. Not anymore. I didn't abuse it but it was nice to have that perk.

No minimum balance, ever. Now they have a $100 minimum balance for my checking account.

Free coin counting for everyone, account holder or not. Now it's just free for account holders only. 

Yea... I found that out the hard way.

It's that line of thinking, that has given the gun control groups far more power than they should have. By making firearms a taboo subject to talk about in public they have managed to create the illusion that firearm ownership is a tiny minority of extremists, to non gun owners. These forums have plenty of examples illustrating how by making firearms taboo they have been able to isolate gun owners from one another and even more importantly greatly hampered us from getting new people interested in firearms. How many times have we seen threads along the lines of "I was talking with X person at Y place, the subject of firearms came up, and to my surprise it turned out that X person was also a firearm owner" sometimes with even "Z group of people around joined in, who were also firearm owners or interested in firearms". Yet we are always surprised by these discoveries of other people with an interest in firearms, because subconsciously we believe we actually are a very small minority of people.

What we need to do is talk more openly in public about firearms. We need to make it not a taboo subject to talk about, because once that happens the amount of power the anti's have in the firearm debate will greatly diminish as more and more non firearm owners realize the firearm owners, are their neighbors, coworkers, friends and even family members. Than instead of just taking the anti's at face value, and ignoring the "extremist gun owners" they will know that those supposed "extremist gun owners" are not actually extremists, and are quite logical and level headed.

There are places for everything.  Just like you don't discuss politics or religion at a friends party.

So you are having this friendly discussion with a teller,  and the bank manger walks behind and only hears the word "gun".  He thinks "robbery in progress" and get police on the way.  You get to explain to swat about your friendly conversation and teller loses his job.  Good out come?  Not in my book.

Just like you don't discuss that awful movie you just saw as a "bomb" while waiting in the security line at an airport.