EWC88

Vacuum input

Ok so the house is in a need for a new vacuum cleaner. Our current one is crapping out so its time to replace. Not really in the market to buy a Dyson, but don't want anything crap. Here's a list of needs:

I like corded, I use the vacuum attachments, needs to be good for pet hair and such (I have a lot lol). That's really my must, so any help I appreciate.

I was looking at Oreck and also Euerka but not sure.

With our 9-year old Dyson not doing so well, we picked up a Hoover Tunnel Rewind based on favorable Consumer Reports reviews. Excellent suction and pretty cheap. Only cons are its relatively short cord (which is retractable) and somewhat cheap plasticky feel to it. Dyson featured a lot more options and felt more solidly built, but given the Hoover seem much better at picking up dirt and much cheaper price, I'm glad we didn't go with a new Dyson. Note our comparison isn't apples to apples since we're comparing a brand new Hoover with a very old Dyson. I can't say how they'd compare on equal footing. Also, I can't speak to the Hoover's longevity since we've only had it maybe 6 months or so.

My 2 cents:

My cleaning lady uses a top of line oreck industrial vac. After she leaves i have gone over with my dyson and it fills the canister. I double vac because of seasonal dog shedding. Its an unbelievable product and worth the money. I got mine on clearance at target and have no regrets.

I highly recommend the Dyson.  We have two Siberian Huskies, so the hair is everywhere.  The Dyson does an amazing job.  We have the animal version with the beater brush tool which makes cleaning stairs great.  We have had two of these for years.  I had one that gave us some issues, but I just did a detailed stripping and cleaned everything and washed the filters and it is back to working like a champ.  Had a Hoover and a Panasonic (yes they make or made vacuums) and the Dyson wins hands down.  Search online or look for a used one if money is tight (isn't it always?).

My Rainbow is absolutely the best vacuum I have ever seen or used. It is now over 25 years old and still works as good as the very first day I got it. It will put ANY other vacuum to shame. Check them out. They aren't cheap but I see them on Ebay for great prices. I paid 900 for mine way back then. I have the SE model.

What Tunaman said.  I bought my Rainbow in 1998 for slightly more but its the best vacuum I have ever witnessed.  It uses a tank of water as the filter, wet dust dont fly.  Never buy or change a filter again.   I know folks that have had Rainbows for over 30 years without any issues.  IF you can swing it, my .02 cents is get the Rainbow. 

What Tunaman said.  I bought my Rainbow in 1998 for slightly more but its the best vacuum I have ever witnessed.  It uses a tank of water as the filter, wet dust dont fly.  Never buy or change a filter again.   I know folks that have had Rainbows for over 30 years without any issues.  IF you can swing it, my .02 cents is get the Rainbow.

It is a fine sight to see someone else with a Rainbow! When the salesman showed me how "wet dust doesn't fly" using a photo light, I was sold. It also picks up hair off of furniture like no other. Take your Dyson and do your pillows. Then take a Rainbow to the same pillows. You will be hooked! Add a little Siberian Pine oil to the water and my whole house smells great after cleaning!

The cult of rianbow. It's like cleaning your carpets with a bong. You know smoke is a particulate, and it somehow makes it through bongs and other water pipes. Rainbow is MLM with armies of unfortunate squeegee people being taken advantage of, and scammy financing at a usurious rate. But if one must, the refurbs of the old school metla flake tortoise shell household shop vac lookin thing can jsut go to overstock.com for one at about $600. 

Just some food for thought. 

As fro the dyson, I'll give a few pieces of advice. 

1) they have too much suction for area rugs. I have a 9x12 that is a PITA to clean with my dydson because it lifgts up near the edge. 

2) don't bother with the all floors version. It has a motorized beater bar, but it is pretty weak, makes it hard to get under toe kicks and furniture, and it's not really needed. It produces enough suction to make the air powered carpet tools work very well (I slapped the air powered stair attachment form my hoover on it for grins because with the hoover it was the most useless device ever. The thing worked except for the fact it couldn't pass enough air for the dyson and the dyson started sucking air through the seals elsewhere). 

3) The only difference between the animal and non animal versions of any given model is the carpet attachment that comes with it, the labeling, and the color. You can buy the attachment separately, so the refurbs on woot or what have you are GTG even if you want an animal. Just buy the tool to turn it into an animal. 

I had enough of those bagless vac's... lost one of these in the flood and purchased a new will never look back with having 3 dogs a bag vacuum is a must.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Electrolux%20UltraSilencer%20DeepClean%20Vacuum%20Cleaner%20EL7060A

Rainbow make a very good vac, but you have to mess with the dirty water WAY too much. wherever you throw it outside will build up pretty quick, that on top of having to clean the bowl every time you use it. for that alone I can not recommend it.

Kirby has a pretty good vacuum, but you are paying a premium for the name, it is no better on messes then a kenmore upright.

After spending a couple grand on just those two, I bought a couple cheap vacuums. a Hoover Wind-tunnel, and a Kenmore upright, both did well and both were right around $200

My mom had picked up a Dyson and needed me to put it together for her.....I cannot say enough good things about it...i ended up buying a purple ball, and i bought a cordless purple too for the in between jobs. It hurt a little buying the upright (not as much as the Rainbow and Kirby), but it is well worth the money. like the others said look for it on sale or refurbished. We got our cordless from QVC not too long ago for a decent price.

Thanks everyone I will have to check out everyone's recommendations!

Question- where do you guys refurb dysons from?

Woot.com has the best deals I've see on them, but it's pretty much random as to when they become available.

Overstock.com has them for sale regularly at higher prices than woot, but still a good deal compared to new.

FWIW. I don't have a dog so my fight is different but I went an extreme different angle when my Hoover Wind Tunnel went in for repairs 2x in one year. I asked the vacuum store guy "what is the best no nonsense vacuum that just does a basic killer job, that doesn't weigh a ton?"

And he said "you are a man like myself, this is the vacuum I use at home". And he pointed out to me a PANASONIC upright. Panasonic, for real? Yes for real. I said "you're not kidding me, this is bare essentials but how do you counter the inquiries about attachments and how do you do th stairs without attachments?". He said because the pros don't clean couches and stairs with an upright vacuum, you use this..,". And then he pointed to me a eureka handheld.

To this day my vacuuming life has changed. I do not use one vacuum for all cleaning needs. I have a simple kick ass upright and a hand held for non floor issues. The hand held is corded it has tons of power

Mele. People complaining about suction, it is adjustable. It cleaned my carpets better than anything I ever used in my home or on the job and I can vacuum the house without waking anybody up. Plus, most of them have certified HEPA systems. A HEPA filter is worthless, the system must be sealed under load with no short circuiting, shutdown backflow, bypass, recycle, etc.

Problem is mine is 10 years old and a little clunky. Lots of attachments and tools required to get the job done right. Don't know about their new stuff.

Well, if you're willing to spend the money, an Electrolux is one of the best you can buy.I think they might have changed the name to "Aero" or something.

I tried selling them for a little while, years ago. I think I sold one or two my whole time. I was very impressed with how they worked, but most of the people they sent me to couldn't afford them.  IF, I had plenty of money to spare, and I wanted the best vacuum I could buy, it would be them. The carpet shampooer was pretty good too, but also pricey.

Well, if you're willing to spend the money, an Electrolux is one of the best you can buy.I think they might have changed the name to "Aero" or something.

I tried selling them for a little while, years ago. I think I sold one or two my whole time. I was very impressed with how they worked, but most of the people they sent me to couldn't afford them.  IF, I had plenty of money to spare, and I wanted the best vacuum I could buy, it would be them. The carpet shampooer was pretty good too, but also pricey.

dam thing is great, i still have the one from the flood the cord will not wind back in i keep it in the garage to clean my car purchased a new one 4 months after the flood could not stand the cord not going back in but the dam thing still works only electrical appliance that did work after the flood..