Respect2A

Anyone running a BAD lever

I ran one for awhile, but I was having an issue that the bolt wouldn't lock back when is was supposed to (last round). I removed it and the rifle ran fine. I didn't think I really needed it anyway. I see a lot of rifles with them on,so some people like them. It's all your preference, so run it with and without and see which way you like better. I think that most people will say they have a box of parts and accessories that they have tried and taken off and stored to try again at a later date.  I know I do!!!

With the ambidextrous options that are out there such as the AXTS and Mega lowers, the BAD lever isn't my go-to choice when it comes to ambidextrous bolt manipulation.  It's not a bad piece of gear if you train to use it but there are other alternatives that I would lean toward, given the option.

I run one on all my AR's. I've taken a few AR classes and have gotten really used to using it. You can definitely see where it saves you a second here and there when clearing jams or reloading. If you're just in it to punch holes on paper, maybe its not for you.

I've had mixed success with it. On my old bull barreled target AR with 20" barrel, rifle length gas and rifle buffer system it works perfect every single time. On my Carbine with 16" barrel and midlength gas and carbine buffer, it mostly failed to lock back so off it came. Not sure why it didn't work well on that gun but that was the pattern for me.

I have a bad lever, I like, its very comfortable to use. I did run into a problem though that I think is worth mentioning. With the bad lever I use my trigger finger to release the bcg, I trained this way and got pretty fast going from the bad lever to the trigger in no time. Here is the problem, I picked up an AR without a bad lever, then went searching for it with my trigger finger. Buy the time I realized there was no bad lever, it took me about 15 seconds to release the bolt.

The bolt release seems so awkward and in a strange place to me. I've got the BAD on one AR and love it. It'll be making its way into the new one too. I just can't figure out how to work the standard bolt release efficiently

is really quite easy. You just slap the side of your rifle.

Wouldn't have to slap anything if you got a BAL that works well and you get use to. It's fluent, faster and mulitifunctional...

Edit: I take that back.... I'm sure you'll be slapping something.... ;)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I like it. It comes in really handy in rifle and 3gun matches where I have to lock back, show clear and chamber flag at every stage. This often requires 3 hands because of mags, flags, and locking method for ARs. So I really like the BAD lever for that.

I can see how it can mess up some rifles, but in my experience if your rifle is in spec, the lever works well. If your gun has locking issue, odds are you could use a new spring from the bolt lock assembly.

I have em on 2 of my ar's.  I like it, feels more natural to me.  If you are thinking of getting one, Rockwell Arms has em on sale for $14.95, which is an excellent price. 

http://www.rockwellarms.com/Store/ProductDetails/Magpul-B-A-D-Battery-Assist-Device-Lever-MAG980

honestly the only thing it has over just a standard bolt catch/release is its a lot easier the lock the bolt back to clear a double feed or other malfunction. but if you practice enough you can lock the bolt back efficiently with the standard catch/release and maybe only lose half a second. plus then you have less of a chance of hitting the lever and closing the bolt on an empty chamber. which is one of the reasons i refuse to use one. i feel it kinda gets in the way.

honestly the only thing it has over just a standard bolt catch/release is its a lot easier the lock the bolt back to clear a double feed or other malfunction. but if you practice enough you can lock the bolt back efficiently with the standard catch/release and maybe only lose half a second. plus then you have less of a chance of hitting the lever and closing the bolt on an empty chamber. which is one of the reasons i refuse to use one. i feel it kinda gets in the way.

Not true. If you use one consistently, you'll notice that your reloads are dramatically faster. It allows you to to bring your support hand to its correct location and skip the SLAP of the paddle. It may seem like a minor change, but gaining a hand to manipulate other problems or keep your support hand located is pretty important.

I have them on 2 AR's and love them. I still practice malfunctions as a normal paddle though. Reload the mag and reach up with my thumb to release. As for the comment about being permanent, get the Phase 5 one that replaces the whole bolt release.

Not true. If you use one consistently, you'll notice that your reloads are dramatically faster. It allows you to to bring your support hand to its correct location and skip the SLAP of the paddle. It may seem like a minor change, but gaining a hand to manipulate other problems or keep your support hand located is pretty important.

I have them on 2 AR's and love them. I still practice malfunctions as a normal paddle though. Reload the mag and reach up with my thumb to release. As for the comment about being permanent, get the Phase 5 one that replaces the whole bolt release.

thats all well and good until you break the damn thing mid firefight and your muscle memory has you stuck going for it when its not there.. sure if its a competition gun, range toy or something, thats fine to save you that half a second.

I don't think most people quite realized how much 3gun shooters do NOT want their guns to break. There is this assumption that competition guns are fragile or can afford to be fragile. Very much no.

It is a situational tool, I can live with it, or without it. I do my locked bolt reloads the old fashioned way with the bolt release from the left side. The only really useful part for me is locking the bolt back without changing my grip and the like. Actual operations are done the old fashioned way.

I don't think most people quite realized how much 3gun shooters do NOT want their guns to break. There is this assumption that competition guns are fragile or can afford to be fragile. Very much no.

It is a situational tool, I can live with it, or without it. I do my locked bolt reloads the old fashioned way with the bolt release from the left side. The only really useful part for me is locking the bolt back without changing my grip and the like. Actual operations are done the old fashioned way.

im not saying competition guns are fragile. its just theres nothing at stake except some pride and some money. they can afford to trade half a second for half a percent of reliability. plus those guys you see on tv can afford to replace those parts after every match and have multiple guns set up the same way so if something does happen they are ready to go the next stage.