Bt Doctur

.22 ammo and ammo in general rant

After visiting untold sites that sell ammo I find the asking prices insane and refuse to pay for extortion. $60- 90 / brick of .22, no way.

Black Friday emails touting specials, nope.  Other sizes equally insane . Go check the gun broker type site and see what the opening bid is

and watch as no bids are submitted  or find that the bid does not mees the reserve price..

We can affect change by not buying  and telling them WHY were not buying. The factories are turning out millions if not billions every week of every calibre but

it never makes the shelves.Where is it going.

If your finding ammo at a high price TELL THEM. Your not buying untill the price comes down. The hoarers can eat their reserve ammo cause they wont be able to sell it.

The idea of ammo = currency if the SHTF is pure nonsense.

Those that can reload will control the power.

It's interesting that while most other calibers are becoming more available, and prices are dropping (even for .223 and 9mm, which were quite scarce not long ago), .22lr remains in short supply. If it's because of the hoarders, why is it not affecting the other calibers as much?

“Take for example .22LR ammunition. The industry as a whole (all manufacturers combined) is setup to produce 4,200,000,000
(4.2 Billions)
.22 LR annually. That is running all the machines, full capacity all the time, all manufacturers together.

There is NOTHING they can do to produce more.

That corresponds to 230,137 cartridge per State per day, which is 460 bricks of 500 .22lr per day per State. That means that if less than 50 people per day in each State are buying 10 bricks of .22, it is enough to dry up the entire supply as it is being manufactured.”

A couple of months ago, I decided to purchase 50 rounds of something every week and I've been sticking too that schedule.  If what I want is in 20 round packs, I get 2 and if it's in 100 round packs, I get one.  Whatever quantity gets me closest to 50 rounds per week.  I buy what I find that is available locally at a reasonable price - as long as it's something I will shoot.   Because of the price and availability of ammo, I'm shooting less then I was a couple of years ago.  I shoot at home so I don't shoot much when the weather gets cold.  At 50 rounds per week I'll be well stocked within a few months.     Slow and steady wins the race for me.

i dragged my fiance out of bed and went to the freehold store. Scored 2 boxes of the golden bullets. 

They looked to only have about a dozen or so left. anyway i hope they work well in my Mosquito. They are similarly spec'd to the Mini-Mags

It's interesting that while most other calibers are becoming more available, and prices are dropping (even for .223 and 9mm, which were quite scarce not long ago), .22lr remains in short supply. If it's because of the hoarders, why is it not affecting the other calibers as much?

Everyone who target shoots switched or is shooting their 22 insted of their center fire guns.

After visiting untold sites that sell ammo I find the asking prices insane and refuse to pay for extortion. $60- 90 / brick of .22, no way.

Black Friday emails touting specials, nope.  Other sizes equally insane . Go check the gun broker type site and see what the opening bid is

and watch as no bids are submitted  or find that the bid does not mees the reserve price..

We can affect change by not buying  and telling them WHY were not buying. The factories are turning out millions if not billions every week of every calibre but

If your finding ammo at a high price TELL THEM. Your not buying untill the price comes down. The hoarers can eat their reserve ammo cause they wont be able to sell it.

I guess you don't understand economics. We've gone over this a few times in these forums before so I'll keep it short.

1) People want a limited supply product.

2) The product can only be made so fast and upping production is really expensive and hard

3) People are buying every instance of the product on the shelf because it is cheap

4) Other people can not find any of the product and get angry at the vendor

5) Vendor raises prices until a balance is struck between hoarders and non-hoarders. At a certain price point the product exists on the shelf for those who want it, but the price is high enough that if you really don't need it you won't hoard more of it.

It sucks, but it is simple economics. No, you can't accuse the vendor of price gouging, that concept only makes sense to the essentials of life like food, water, energy, etc. Very few people can say they need .22 to live. It simple supply and demand economics.

So you can tell the vendor you won't do business with them until they lower their prices, but that means you are not a customer so they don't really care. They know that other people will purchase that product. When the product is sitting on the shelf unsold that is a signal to lower prices.

There seems to have been a huge increase in new gun owners as well. I'm in that group as are many people I've meet during my trips to the range during the past few months. Many truely new owners start out with a 22 and that could be an additional factor driving demand for that caliber. Large influx on new buyers for limited supply will keep prices higher and shelves thin.

I started out with larger calibers (357 & 9mm) and have been purchasing when I can find at reasonable prices but haven't encountered any shortages. I usually shop at Dick's in South Plainfield, Effingers, Heritage Guild (Branchburg or Easton) or Sarcos in Easton. Think I usually pay about $15 for box of 50 9mm.....some times a little more and some times a little less and around $19 for 38s & $24 or so for 357....but I just got the 357 so not yet sure what an"good price" is for 38 & 357.

Look, be patient and purchase periodically and she should be happy. If you wait until you are leaving for the range you may be out of luck....especially on a weekend when every one else is doing the same.

As weather gets colder I think we'll see a lull in people heading outside to the ranges and supply increasing which should make ammo more available and perhaps a liitle more affordable.

i dragged my fiance out of bed and went to the freehold store. Scored 2 boxes of the golden bullets. 

They looked to only have about a dozen or so left. anyway i hope they work well in my Mosquito. They are similarly spec'd to the Mini-Mags

'Tis a sad day when people are getting up early to get Remmy Golden Bullet.... it's crap..

Prices for 9 mm and 223 have been artificially deflated for a decade because the major manufacturers have huge ammunition supply contracts with the military. I think 22 is in short supply because for so long, people assumed it was a a dirt cheap round and would always be available for $0.05/per. I started stockpiling it long ago because it just makes more sense to buy the round I like most in 5,000 round lots. 

Also, part of the sales strategy for the firearms industry is the illusion of control. In reality, none of us have it; the people who do live in compounds or ranches (i.e. Bush, Kennedy) and have private armies. They don't worry about petty things like gas, ammo, medical supplies or food prices. They have staff for that.

I'm a good Boy Scout and moderately prepared - but mostly because I enjoy it and want the comfort for short-term emergencies like Sandy.

You have to just keep checking around.  I have been able to get all the 22lr's i need for all but one month when it was at its worst.  I have been paying more than in the past for the 500 round bricks but I put an upper limit of $29 on it.  If they are more than that I pass.  Rite now I have 3 bricks so I have stopped looking.  The reason the OP sees them as so dam expensive is because of luckygunner.com and cheaperthandirt.com.  They have them in stock because they want dam near $100 a brick.  They are out there,  They just dont sit on the shelf as long as they used to. 

Ken

Just picked up 3 boxes of the 525 Remington golden .22 for 19.95 each box.... Dicks

I used a $10 Dicks Scorecard reward and paid $10.68 for a box.

22lr will be gold in a shtf scenario..... It is NOT Nonsense

^^^^This.  Just look at how much people were paying for .22's 8 months ago, and that wasnt even a SHTF scenario just panic buying.

And about that "Those that can reload will control the power" comment, yeah lemme know how reloading .22lr works out for ya........ :haha:

BTW in the past 2 months Ive bought around 3k rounds of 22lr and havent paid more than $20 a brick, so your not looking in the right spots.

Not really.  Last weekend, while I was at Cabelas I heard at least 4 or 5 guys get told they were sold out of powder. 

learn to make black powder. its not that difficult. thats why so called "obsolete" calibers will be gold in SHTF. i know how to make it and if SHTF ever happened id definitely grab my muzzle loader for that purpose. who knows how long ammo supplies will last.

Reloading supplies will dry up just like ammo in a SHTF scenario. Whoever thinks that it won't should probably re-think the situation.

Look at the panic buying and such from the Newtown shooting to roughly this summer. Reloading supplies seemed just as hard to get than ammo. 

For what I shoot, 9mm seems to be holding steady at 30 cents a round / $15 per 50, which is still too high. 223 keeps dropping and is sub 40 cents per round and 7.62 can be had for 20 cents per round so they are both pretty decent now. Slickguns is your friend.

You haven't learned anything, have you?

See you complaining all over again in a couple years.

Sorry, this is not the first time this has happened. I have little sympathy for people that are so deluded that they think any time they want something, somebody else will give it to them on the spot at a reasonable price.

Reloading supplies will dry up just like ammo in a SHTF scenario. Whoever thinks that it won't should probably re-think the situation.

Look at the panic buying and such from the Newtown shooting to roughly this summer. Reloading supplies seemed just as hard to get than ammo. 

Newtown?

Reloading supplies were much harder to find (especially primers) in 2008-2009 with the Coming of Obama.

Nothing in the world is new.