Sign in to follow this  
siderman

Exercise Gurus- Ellipticals?

I've been on a get healthy venture and am looking into an elipt. machine to step it up. Cant do a treadmill, very bad knees so need low/no impact. Didnt realize there was so many dif styles and price ranges are impressive but realizing you generally get what you pay for still would prefer around $500 max. Any suggestions on type, brand, ones to avoid etc would be greatly appreciated. If and I mean if I should submit myself to knee replacements in the next yr or two I want to be in the best and strongest condition as to help the recovery vs being soft and week from the start.  Thanx in advance for any tips. 

I don't know where you are located, but in my area the gym business is so competitive, that I am only paying ten dollars a month.

If you can find a deal like that near you, it would take you over four years to spend $500. Plus, you could be using all their other fitness equipment as well. Just a thought.

I don't know anything about which machines are better or worse, but I'll second the notion that gyms are worth it. $10 or $15 a month isn't bad, and you can also use a bike there or any other machines they may have. I imagine that a bike is probably easier on your knees anyway. I know I rotate between bikes/treadmills/ellipticals because I get bored using one machine for cardio.  

I have thought of the gym option but the drive there and back just doesnt appeal to me when i have a great finished basement to work out in. My daughter even offered me the balance of her membership but its 15-20 mins. The closer gyms aren't as cheap as $10-15 actually 2-3 times more but $ isnt the driving factor just trying to adhere to KISS as everything I'd want or need is already here at home. 

I've never owned my owned equipment but another plus of the gym: you don't have to pay to fix the equipment if it breaks. I know a few people who bought treadmills bikes or other fitness equipment only to have it sit unused when it breaks after a few years. At a gym they take care of the PM and repair.

I have an elliptical, and it is pretty low impact, that said, before one trip a few years back I was doing 30 minutes a day after working up to it but eventually my knees couldn't take it and the right one just started to hurt too much to continue. 

What damage is done to the knee? Putting more stress on things can help hurt it more. I have had both my knees done so I'm fairly wise on this lovely process. I don't know your age, I know I'm considered young (25) so my knees healed faster/better they say then older people, but some exercises may seem will help you but can do more damage depending the type of knee issues. Are we talking things are slightly torn or needing replacements?

Edit: I'll see what machine my gf's mom has at their house that works good.

If the knees can't handle a treadmill, an elliptical might not work either. If you go to a cheap gym (~$10 a month), you can try one out, perhaps along with a stationary bike, a rowing machine, or even circuit training with machines/weights (which are excellent for fitness even if you don't become a beast). If your knees are super bad, pool exercises or swimming might work. My 2 cents.

I recommend getting one where the wheel is in the front. The ones that have the wheel in the back force you to slightly change your stance where your knees are kanted inwards (very slight, but given your knee problems it might me more meaningful for you). Good luck and stay active!

Agreed on no crossfit.  Lifting with poor form is a recipe for bad knees, and crossift doesn't exactly stress perfect form.  

That said, I think barbell squats and deadlifts with excellent form might be helpful.  They will build the muscle around the joint without all the repetitive wear and tear of a cardio machine.  JMHO

Idk what type of so called Crossfit gym you guys are talking about but at Crossfit Vineland they teach proper form and technique. I have bad knees from almost 13 years of MX. I quit when I turned 30 and stopped working out all together. 3 years later I started Crossfit and now my knees feel better than they have in a long time.

Here's the "Crossfit vs the world" theme, right on schedule!

I agree on not buying your gear. Eventually you WILL get bored of it and you won't use it any more.

You're making the commitment to work out, why not make the commitment to drive a few miles to the gym? Plus then your man cave won't smell like swamp ass.

I have thought of the gym option but the drive there and back just doesnt appeal to me when i have a great finished basement to work out in. My daughter even offered me the balance of her membership but its 15-20 mins. The closer gyms aren't as cheap as $10-15 actually 2-3 times more but $ isnt the driving factor just trying to adhere to KISS as everything I'd want or need is already here at home. 

I used to have weight equipment in my basement... and I used it.. when I felt like it... the problem is with it being at my house I could get lazy about it... so I switched to a gym membership for $10 a month and I have access to everything I could want.. additionally I GO to the gym.. and once I am there I am all in.. and put forth way more effort than I would lazily put out in my home... you have bad knees so use whatever cardio type machine that is available there that does not put that pressure on them.. the quality of machines you will have access to at a gym for $10 a month blows away anything you could ever buy for $500..

people blowing off an elliptical are silly.. cardio is cardio... and if you eat better and increase activity.. you WILL lose weight and be in better shape... 

I echo the others; join a gym first. Go for a few years, then find a specific thing you want to focus on (like cycling), and buy the equipment once the routine is set. If you can’t get motivated to drive 15 minutes to workout for an hour, you will not work out at home. There are always excuses (dishes, lawn, laundry, etc.) and you will make them. And also, in your home, a hot shower and the kitchen are only a few feet away... see the problem?

Question - are your knees “I get terrible pains and have to stop if I run more than 5 miles” bad, or “I can’t stand without a cane” bad? This dictates a lot of your workout, but don't be afraid to hire a nutritionist and a trainer to get you started, design a workout and teach (or give you a refresher) on proper form. Do not let your knees be an excuse; do a Google image search for "paratriathlon" for perspective.

Other advice?  Have a goal, like “Run a 28:00 minute 5K” or “do 30 correct push-ups.”  Saying you want to get in shape or lose weight is not a goal, and sets you up for failure. The biggest component of weight loss is accepting it is a lifestyle change, not something that you’re going to “just do for a few months.” Good luck with it.

Just because they teach proper technique doesn't mean it's actually correct. I'm sure to them it's all correct. My brother is a CrossFit coach and actually agrees.

Whenever I see the CrossFit games I cringe. Not to knock anyone, but it doesn't take a whole lot of credentials to be a crossfit coach. The large majority of them have only a rudimentary understanding of biomechanics and kinesiology, if at all.

With very bad knees? I don't think crossfit would be a good idea.

I had bad knees when I started.  My "squats" maxed at barely 45 degrees from vertical.  Turns out I was using poor form in my workout all my life.  With proper coaching over the last year I doubled my squat weight while being able to lower myself well below parallel.  Absolutely no knee pain.

The key is to find a qualified coach and pay attention to your form.  If people are getting injured it's from overtraining or bad technique.

I had bad knees when I started.  My "squats" maxed at barely 45 degrees from vertical.  Turns out I was using poor form in my workout all my life.  With proper coaching over the last year I doubled my squat weight while being able to lower myself well below parallel.  Absolutely no knee pain.

The key is to find a qualified coach and pay attention to your form.  If people are getting injured it's from overtraining or bad technique.

Finding a "qualified" coach is tough work.  A basic crossfit certification, as noted above, isn't all that difficult to get.  There are personal trainers who hold other certifications who teach crappy squat form.  Letters after one's name don't make them a competent coach.  I don't have any real advice, unfortunately, just commenting that there is a glut of bad coaches and trainers out there that are doing their eager clients a disservice.  Buyer beware.

On crossfit, I don't care for it due to the easy entry into certification, and the emphasis on speed/quantity over weight/quality.  JMHO

Diet and take walks around the neigborhood. How much are the closest gyms to you and how far? I would try gym first if not too far & too expensive. If you must buy a machine see if you can find a used one because most of them just end up being unused.

Gym I to is $19 a month with no initiation fees. Planet Fitnesss.

Good luck on getting in shape.