thelosticon

custom fabricated 30rd pmags

I have decided to retain a lawyer and run this through njsp as some of you have suggested. does anyone know what kinda time frame I can expect as far as them giving me something in writing? I am eager to start listing them on the marketplace.

Good luck with that... You will never get a written go ahead from the NJSP.  You cant even get a letter from the NJSP that AR lowers are legal.

As far as the design of the mag you get an A for trying but i don't see a real need for that kinda design and i think its impractical in allot of cases.

Before you invest to much into this ask yourself this.....

1. Would People really pay for the magazine design you came up with.

2. How much would you ask for that magazine and will people pay the amount your asking.

3. Did you take a problem and solve it by designing that magazine that has not been solved already.

That being said i dont think its illegal at all. seems fine in that sense..  Its just as legal IMO as taking 2 15 round mags and epoxying them together.

Good luck on your venture.

It's an interesting attempt to work around the statute.  Trying to think through if it works.  Here's what the definition is:

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

So this magazine definitely holds more than 15 rounds, and it definitely feeds those rounds into a semi-automatic firearm, and therefore the only question is because it can only feed 15 at a time without flipping it, is it feeding the semi-automatic firearm "continuously and directly"?  Depends on what your interpretation of "continuously and directly" is.

If you have to remove it, turn it over, and reconnect it to feed the 16th round, then arguably it isn't feeding that 16th round continuously, although it fed the prior 15 continuously.  There's a discontinuity preventing the 16th round from automatically feeding because the magazine needs to be removed, flipped over and reinserted. 

On the other hand, the statute is not clear whether all the rounds (beyond 15 allowed) need to be continuously fed.  In other words, if it holds 30, and 15 feed continuously, and the rest don't feed continuously, is that enough continuous feeding to satisfy the requirement of continuous and automatic feeding to make it illegal?  The statute doesn't specifically and explicitly say that ALL rounds have to feed continuously.  (I.E. it doesn't say "more than 15 rounds of ammunition all of which to be fed continuously").  On the other hand, the wording does strongly imply that the rounds that the magazine does hold have to feed continuously.  The question would be whether the 16th round has to feed continuously in order to fulfill the continuity requirement of the statute and make it illegal. 

The statute isn't crystal clear on this, and I could see a judge holding that 15 is the legal limit for capacity and that 15 has nothing to do with continuity.  And thus by that reasoning if it holds more than 15, and rounds feed continously in general, it is illegal.  If you are relying upon a NJ judge giving a wide interpretation (or even a reasonable interpretation) to gun laws in this state, you are taking a big risk.

I'm assuming you hacksawed the 30 round magazines in half before you crossed the border into NJ right?

continuously is interrupted by having to remove the mag... 

he can NOT continuously fire more than 15 rounds.. so it is legal.. 

How many people have ever had someone even question your mag capacity? I mean it happened to you not someone you "know". I do not personally know any one who has ever been questioned. I shoot with a cop a few times a year in NJ and he uses his 30 round pmags and no one ever even asked. I think the OP's mags are a great idea and would definitely be interested in buying some! I am shocked to see some even think about questioning the legality of them they are obviously NJ legal and would willing volunteer my self to be the test person in this case. Give me one and I will walk into any state police station and ask if I can use these mags in my AR. As long as the OP throws me a few free ones.   

I have reconsidered the lawyers and all that nonsense. I guess I was just trying to please all the naysayers. I absolutely 100 percent believe that there is no argument as to whether these are legal. the one sentence in an otherwise encyclopedia sized chapter of gun laws that deals with high capacity magazines is probably the most coherent and to the point definition of the bunch. in fact I would feel more comfortable explaining this to any Leo rather than your pinned 30rd full body that everyone is walking around with. and to all those that say this is impractical or that I haven't solved anything, I would love for you to show me a way I can carry 30 rounds in mag pouch designed to fit a single magazine.

. in fact I would feel more comfortable explaining this to any Leo rather than your pinned 30rd full body that everyone is walking around with. 

I would rather yours than a 30 with an aluminum rivet in it for sure -- 

Have you given any thought on what you need to get out of them to make it worth your while?? -- It does look like it takes some time to build one.

I like it. With a ready mag, you can have 60 on the gun. The flip might be awkward. I'd have to try it to see if it slows you down.

I cant see using 2 of these mags coupled together as the couplers work by off setting the magazines and since these load from both sides it would be  difficult to reverse the mag when putting it into your receiver since there would need to no be offset.

Nick, I hate those binding strap things. I have a couple and find them more of a headache than anything else.
After a period if time, they loosen up no matter how I adjust them or tighten them. So I canned them. Just need to learn to reload faster. :)

The other thing is cool and has been around forever. But I can't justify the cost to add bulk items to my rifle. I have enough junk on my rifle. ;)

All in all, OP has a neat idea but only for himself. If it works for him, fine. But I don't think it's worth marketing... Too many simpler remedies. Sorry Lost... But I wish you luck.

Isnt this hell of a lot easier and you do not draw too much unwanted attention and there is no question themags are legal...

http://www.buffertech.com/AR-15-MAG-CINCH-for-30-Round-Magazines--P74.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-hardware/ar-15-m16-improved-redi-mag-prod27533.aspx

etc..

I cant see using 2 of these mags coupled together as the couplers work by off setting the magazines and since these load from both sides it would be difficult to reverse the mag when putting it into your receiver since there would need to no be offset.

Google ready mag. It's not a coupler.

I think it is a very innovative idea....however in this state given the complexity of 'legal' issues it is a bit of a quagmire as we all know...

As I have said in the past, a persons tolerance for gambling is their own tolerance...I have NO tolerance for gambling....I have too much to loose over an additional 1 or 15 rounds....but that is me.

I also ask as what does this product serve....? There seems to be a pervasive NEED to get to 30 rounds no matter what in this state...OK I get that...but really do you ACTUALLY anticipate that you will

be running around with a tac vest with molle panels with 30 round mags on them ???

I also understand the need / want / dont need / my rights arguement....I get it...

But I do THINK that these open up far more scrutiny when in actual use than need be...and I also think the same of the 15/20 and 15/30 etc mags.... All my mags are ten round or cut down pmags to 15 actual... but again that is ME...

YMMV !

Then nick, since you lost the argument with the world about 30 products ago, why don't you stop telling everyone they are wrong.

Can it feed a 16th round without removing the mag? No? Legal and extremely defensible in court.

You can be as cautious as you like, but in nj it is all an affirmative defense. There is no avoiding the fight if the da wants a fight. There is no avoiding the arrest if the cop wants to arrest you.

Google ready mag. It's not a coupler.

I see the redi-mag i see what he was saying but i don't really see a point to the redi-mag. Seems like just a useless feature but looks cool. that being said i don't critique those whom wanna use it but for me its nothing special.

Basically you release one mag. then the other then insert into the rifle.... would a chest rig that hold mags work just as well?

I see the redi-mag i see what he was saying but i don't really see a point to the redi-mag. Seems like just a useless feature but looks cool. that being said i don't critique those whom wanna use it but for me its nothing special.

Basically you release one mag. then the other then insert into the rifle.... would a chest rig that hold mags work just as well?

A Redi-Mag/Mod is so much faster than pouch extraction.  Having the next mag on the gun and it releasing at the same time as when you drop the expended mag makes reloads stupid fast.

I think it is a very innovative idea....however in this state given the complexity of 'legal' issues it is a bit of a quagmire as we all know...

As I have said in the past, a persons tolerance for gambling is their own tolerance...I have NO tolerance for gambling....I have too much to loose over an additional 1 or 15 rounds....but that is me.

I also ask as what does this product serve....?  There seems to be a pervasive NEED to get to 30 rounds no matter what in this state...OK I get that...but really do you ACTUALLY anticipate that you will

be running around with a tac vest with molle panels with 30 round mags on them ??? 

I also understand the need / want / dont need / my rights arguement....I get it... 

But I do THINK that these open up far more scrutiny when in actual use than need be...and I also think the same of the 15/20 and 15/30 etc mags....  All my mags are ten round or cut down pmags to 15 actual... but again that is ME...

YMMV !

I agree 100% with this statement -- The reason I want 30 is because they tell me I can't -- thats it

Hey, "I saw it on the Internet"

I think it's supposed to double as a bipod  ...  :music:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/ny-legal-50-round-ar-15-magazine-new-fab-defense/

FAB Defense took things a step further, gluing five 10-round magazines to a central spoke to create a New York-legal 50-round arrangement. Well, as near as we can tell NY legal. I suppose you could do this with 30-round magazines as well, creating a 150-round hub and spoke contraption that would put Surefire’s MAG-100′s to shame. But that might be a little…less than ergonomic. Either way, God bless America and the ingenious bastards who live here. Retail price: $115 with mags included.

:popcorn:

Can't wait to set the test case in court of the first prison.. I mean person... to get jammed up

:facepalm:

If thirty rounds are the key... Why not just tape two separate and distinct 15rnd mags together.. Or use the adapter already made?

I think Nick pretty much summed it up perfectly here.