dtown223

Look what BS they're teaching our kids now

I wonder how many of you guys have kids, how old you are, and a hundred different other things about the demographics of this site.

I'm going to be 60 in about 11 weeks. I have three children, all of whom are smarter than me in an absolute sense. But they're all brainwashed by the education establishment in ways that would take me 10,000 words to describe. They're IQ-endowed, but intellectual cripples, in my opinion. That is the saddest realization I've ever had.

[sNIP]

Glad I'm on my way out. 

The problem I have is wanting to ensure that my niece/nephew (who I hope will still be around after us family "adults" are long gone) learn to think/synthesize for themselves.  So, I hope I'm not "on my way out" any time soon (except to be "on my way out" of this State). :)

My family decided to have me attend a private HS for my junior & senior years. And I am so glad they did that because I actually learned how to "think" and not just "recite facts," which I found was happening in the public school I was attending. Thesis--> Antithesis--> Synthesis.  It was the entire mindset of the teachers at the private school. You could tell it in the test questions. They actually made you *use* what you read and what and memorized from lectures to solve problems. Funny you mentioned "History..." some of the best test questions came from my AP US History class... the classic "Assess the validity of the statement" questions. You were given a Historical quotation, and asked to "assess the validity of the statement."  In Biology, it was always "Structure related to function" questions (i.e. "How is the structure of tissue/organ/system "A" related to its function?"). 

To your earlier point, yeah, schools are trying to indoctrinate children with their own agenda.  No wonder so many parents are opting for "home schooling." But "get 'em young" has always been a historical tactic for anyone who had the vision to start that young. Why do you think Steven Jobs gave Mac's away to schools and universities, etc.? Get'em young! He thought he might be able to overtake the PC that way. Unfortunately, not within his lifetime, I guess, but...  Hopefully, not in mine either (I *am* the Wintel bigot I am...) :D :D :D

Anyway, more parental involvement is the key to proper kids' education. If the parents don't sit down with their kids every day to review what they were taught in school (especially in elementary/middle schools), or attend some classes or PTA meetings, then shame on them.

I wonder how many of you guys have kids, how old you are, and a hundred different other things about the demographics of this site.

<snip>

Glad I'm on my way out. 

You and I are the same age.  You pretty much described my 2 daughters (age 29 and 33) in talking about yours.

The question I've been pondering is:

Will we go out with a BANG or a whimper?

I expect to go out either with a cardiac event (had a triple CABG at 46) or by someone's lucky shot returning fire.

I ask again, as I do in my sigline:

IS THE LINE READY ON THE RIGHT?

If the parents don't sit down with their kids every day to review what they were taught in school (especially in elementary/middle schools), or attend some classes or PTA meetings, then shame on them.

I absolutely agree, but I also absolutely accept responsibility for not doing taking charge of my kids' education. I took too many things for granted in my life. Grrrrr. I accepted the integrity of institutions, the watchdogs of civilization. I used to believe the world would be so much better off if scientists (I'm one) were elected rather than lawyers. 

Now I realize that scientist are equally corruptible. Everyone has a price.

I'd been hearing for 45 years how coal is bad, fuel is bad, gasoline is bad, cars are bad, meat is bad. Everything that's good for humanity is bad. I believed it for a time. You can convince yourself of anything.

At one point I realized that I was hearing the same arguments, over and over again, but in different words. 

The reason the left is against guns is because when used defensively firearms, overwhelmingly, kill worthless assholes. The Loony Left doesn't want me to live, they want the assholes to live. They want the rapists, the burglers, the home invaders, to live and people like us to die. They hate the human race. That's why they're pro-abortion yet anti death penalty; that's why I get 10 years for a single hollow point .22lr round in my trunk but the first charge they drop against the assholes is the firearms crime, so they can get out and get arrested over and over and over; that's why there were all those empty seats at the hearing in Trenton the other day. They're elected by idiots to serve the destruction of humanity.

It's like a virus. They can't help it. The human race is programmed for self-destruction, and it's happening before our eyes.

As someone that graduated public high school 6 years ago, what everyone is saying is all too true. I didn't do "homework" from middle school till I graduated. I passed every grade solely on test scores, because that's all schools care about now. They don't care how much you know, only how much you memorized. And once they realized too many kids weren't "testing well" they dumbed everything down so that everyone could pass. Meaning stupid people found success when they shouldn't have and smart people weren't challenged. This process doesn't reward intelligence and motivation. It rewards laziness and ignorance.

I absolutely agree, but I also absolutely accept responsibility for not doing taking charge of my kids' education. I took too many things for granted in my life. Grrrrr. I accepted the integrity of institutions, the watchdogs of civilization. I used to believe the world would be so much better off if scientists (I'm one) were elected rather than lawyers. 

Now I realize that scientist are equally corruptible. Everyone has a price.

Everyone is "human." Human Nature.... maybe even "Animal Instinct" to an extent. :)

I'd been hearing for 45 years how coal is bad, fuel is bad, gasoline is bad, cars are bad, meat is bad. Everything that's good for humanity is bad. I believed it for a time. You can convince yourself of anything.

It's a balance. "Enjoy" life vs. "conserve/protect" life.

I once had a "nutrition counselor." She kept trying to tell me, "eat only this much of this... this much of that... never eat this... never eat that...." etc. etc. She even brought plastic food "props" to the sessions to demonstrate what the "sizes" looked like. It was all I could do to keep from LOLing every session! :D :D My point being, food is something to enjoy (maybe that's the problem with me :) ). What's the point of eating it if I don't enjoy it? Yeah, it may kill me sooner, but I'll have enjoyed my "shorter" life a lot more. To her credit, I think I found a solution of late that does minimize my caloric intake but is still "enjoyable." I don't eat a lot of the stuff I used to, and a much as as I used to (although I can still destroy whole Pizzas :D ), and I am losing weight, albeit slowly.  Sadly, "exercise" is a totally different issue :D

The reason the left is against guns is because when used defensively firearms, overwhelmingly, kill worthless assholes.

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with "culture." Most of "the left" I think was not raised in the tradition of safe & responsible gun ownership. They are indifferent to them, personally, but when combined with how the MSM portrays both crime involving guns, and law abiding gun owners (as idiots/buffoons, etc.), it pushes them towards the "anti" side. People raised with the tradition of ownership have a respect for firearms, and for 2A rights, etc. It's easier to be "anti" something when you never learned it and/or don't understand it.

Moreover, it's also a "control" issue. The anti's know that we know what are 2A rights are, that we are willing to defend/exercise them, and that we know well how to use firearms. We know that the 2A was written to allow "the people" a defense against a "tyrannical govt." I believe a lot of the "antis" are part of that tyrannical govt trying to keep control. They're not as concerned with the "criminals" because they think Law Enforcement will protect them. I think they're more afraid of us... the people who know what the 2A means and are willing to defend it... their fear being, "defend it against them..."

As someone that graduated public high school 6 years ago, what everyone is saying is all too true. I didn't do "homework" from middle school till I graduated. I passed every grade solely on test scores, because that's all schools care about now. They don't care how much you know, only how much you memorized. And once they realized too many kids weren't "testing well" they dumbed everything down so that everyone could pass. Meaning stupid people found success when they shouldn't have and smart people weren't challenged. This process doesn't reward intelligence and motivation. It rewards laziness and ignorance.

And other countries that actually care about education are whooping our a$$es!  :facepalm::mad:

I once asked my sister-in-law, a straight-A graduate of a prestigious English college, what happened in 1066. She replied,'I don't know and what the fukc does it matter?" Indeed.

15 June 1215 as you say is a very interesting date too.   Next June 15th is the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Charta and there will be worldwide attention on the impact of this event.   Great opportunity to emphasize to the under-educated younger generation what freedom is and where it came from.   I will be involved in the 800th and will make a point in my community of calling attention to the anniversary and the impact of what occurred between Windsor and Staines, including its influence on the US Constitution.

As a educator I agree with most of you guys. Now think about this. NJ is one of the best in the country when it comes to education... In a progressive way we are much much worse then most. But overall knowing my students, it is very scary to think about the kids in other states.

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with "culture." Most of "the left" I think was not raised in the tradition of safe & responsible gun ownership. They are indifferent to them, personally, but when combined with how the MSM portrays both crime involving guns, and law abiding gun owners (as idiots/buffoons, etc.), it pushes them towards the "anti" side. People raised with the tradition of ownership have a respect for firearms, and for 2A rights, etc. It's easier to be "anti" something when you never learned it and/or don't understand it.

Lots of conservatives were or are anti-gun. I grew up hating guns. My father, a Goldwater Republican, is 88 and still hates guns. "Only cops and military should have guns, period," is something dad has said many times, as recently as last year. This type of gun hatred derives, I think, from the southern European fascist/commie perspective, which believes in strong central governments. That's the culture my grandparents lived in, and no doubt it rubbed off on my parents, and for a while on me.  Believe me, lots of conservatives thought that Florida's 1987 concealed carry law would result in bloodshed at every fender bender. 

The left is a different story altogether. They embrace everything that's weird and counter-productive, and loathe what's wholesome and helpful to humanity. Their gun hatred arises, within the Font of Leftist Lunacy that drips like diarrhea into the minds of progressives and liberals, from their hatred of goodness and love of evil. I could not understand, when arguing with serious lefties decades ago, why they preferred Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, and later Pol Pot to Richard Nixon (with Johnson it was a tossup).

It's also telling why they refer to people like us as "Nazis" and not "Commies." Hitler was bad not because he killed 10s of millions of people, but because he dared fight their hero Stalin. 

Deep down the Loony Fringe Left favor the scumbags with the mile-long rap sheets who killed that lawyer in the mall last Christmas, and detest the victim. I don't believe that democrats in the NJ legislature are that bad, but their instincts about guns originate with the sentiments I just described, and exist in watered-down form. They won't come out and say that the dead lawyer was a creep and the murderers were heroes. But had that lawyer pulled out a gun and blown them away you'd definitely hear some rumbling about "execution over a stupid SUV," and many would be clamoring for gun charges against the guy who defended himself.

Sounds a bit like what I remember from my high school. There was a poster on the wall of one of the history classrooms about how the 2nd amendment might not be relevant now that wild animals aren't roaming through everyone's backyards.

And the annual Brady campaign play/skit/presentation starring a fictional school shooter. That was run by one of the English teachers.

Edit: the play was done independent of the Brady campaign, but all proceeds were donated to them.

Sounds a bit like what I remember from my high school. There was a poster on the wall of one of the history classrooms about how the 2nd amendment might not be relevant now that wild animals aren't roaming through everyone's backyards.

And the annual Brady campaign play/skit/presentation starring a fictional school shooter. That was run by one of the English teachers.

Edit: the play was done independent of the Brady campaign, but all proceeds were donated to them.

If your backyard is in Camden or Newark you could win that argument easily.

I'm going to be 60 in about 11 weeks. I have three children, all of whom are smarter than me in an absolute sense. But they're all brainwashed by the education establishment in ways that would take me 10,000 words to describe. They're IQ-endowed, but intellectual cripples, in my opinion. That is the saddest realization I've ever had.

I know that when I die, they'll know their father was nutty. "Oh he was against (blah blah blah)." They will live in a dictatorship -- it's not too far away, and not even know it. Think: North Korea, in terms of the process of mind control. We'll be much better than that of course, but the process for getting everyone on board is identical. 

Schools don't teach shit. Nothing. Nada. A kid who grows up in the U.S. public school system knows about the same amount of important stuff as someone who sits at home watching TV. Even scientific education (I'm a chemist by training) has been watered down to the point of ridiculousness. My daughter is a 4.9 GP graduate of an elite public institution, math/Russian major. I still remember math that she can't even fathom, and my 40-year-old German is much better than her current Russian speaking ability.

As my nephew explained to me a few weeks ago, "The purpose of education is not to teach you things, but to teach you how to learn."

Haha. Epistemology? I didn't even broach the subject.

My response: "Then why don't you know anything? What have you taught yourself, through this process of teaching to learn (but not actually, learning a fukcing thing that's remotely valued by other humans)? Why are you incapable of assessing and addressing the critical questions about, for example, our esteemed Lawn Ornament Posing as Commander-in-Chief? Why do you accept so readily the "consensus" on global warming? Why are you so uncritical about anything unrelated to legislative action banning anal sex or the "marriage" of individuals who until recently hurled the insult 'BREEDER' at me?"

The last person who knew how to teach sentence diagramming retired about 10 years ago. The last history teacher who believed in instructing on the relevance of 1066, June 15 (my birthday, so I include the date) 1215, 1776, 1860/1865, 1913, 1914, about the Ukrainian famine of the late 1930s, etc. etc. etc., retired years ago or now is so brow-beaten by the P.C. teachers union that they don't care. 

I once asked my sister-in-law, a straight-A graduate of a prestigious English college, what happened in 1066. She replied,'I don't know and what the fukc does it matter?" Indeed.

Ask your kids the significance of any of those dates. Go ahead. Ask your kids who got accepted to Princeton on a "free ride" why those dates are important. You'll get blank stares.

We are creating a population of fukceng idiots. Individuals who might, perhaps, turn into reasonable facsimiles of adults, but only to the extent that they can -- maybe -- work at something and pay their bills.

That's what 98% of our children are. (Disclaimer: 100% of mine are). It's our fault. All the insanity in this state, all these frantic emails "Come to Trenton!!! Don't come to Trenton!!! Email your representative!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!" All of this bullshit is OUR FAULT. We let this happen by sitting on our fat asses and allowing barnyard animals like Swiney and Sweet Loretta, Crisp Crispy, and his heir-apparent the aforementioned Sweeney among the Nightingales, to take over our government. And as we've learned, some animals are more equal than other animals.

Your hearts are all in the right place but I fear we have all, and I mean myself too, 100%, through our complacency and lack of vigilance, created the mega-casket in which the body of the USA, those ideals we love to strut about at NJ legislative hearings, will be buried.

It will occur state by state, as the multi-national masters of Christie, Weinberg, Sweeney, etc., dictate. California's white population is now a minority. The same is about to happen in Texas. It soon will not matter what concerned constitutionalists on the plains of North Texas think, or how they vote. They are dying, and their children will be voting for "reason" and all that other stuff.

Glad I'm on my way out. 

If I met you, I'd buy you a beer!

While I too am North of 50, I am not sure I buy into that kids don't learn anything today.  I think the schools are set up so they can get by without learning, but that does not mean none of them do.  Both my kids are out of college now and I saw what they went through in the public schools.  Now to be fair, perhaps my town is atypical - I know it is as we do FID and P2P in 20 to 30 days :)  But I think my kids came out of high school knowing as much or more than I did at their age.  I know my son was very upset when two of his friends got one more question right on the math SAT's and they both got 800 while he only got 780.  My daughter is probably the more typical kid today who cruised through without learning as much and did not do a double major in college like he did.  She has an OK job and is semi-liberal while my son is a Republican / Libertarian who works in M&A for one of the Big 4 accounting firms. 

But back to the schools, I think they really do need to get back to memorization.  This common core math is pure BS.  They need to learn basic multiplication tables, and learn what a noun and a verb are.  They need to be able to make change without hitting the picture of the burger on the "cash register".  They need to understand how to balance a check book, and how not to spend more than they make.  They also need to go back to teach home economics, wood shop, autoshop, etc...   While none of my kids ever saw a trades person come to my house to fix anything (I do it all) each of them would have to hire someone to change a light switch, maybe even change a light bulb :(   I don't get it either.  I would not let either one of them drive until I actually made them change a tire and explained what all the crap is under the hood of a car. 

What scares me the most is that kids today while they are great on computers, for the most part have no clue how they work.  Sure they can use word and Excel, but unless they are super techie none of them have any clue about binary or how circuits work or the logic behind them.  That is what is really scary.  While I am ranting, I am sorry but "Woman's Studies" is NOT a major.  Neither is Black History or Gay transgender BS.  Parents that let their kids major in this stuff are negligent.  Heck once you graduate and have a job and money you should feel free to go learn all that BS if you want, but you need a firm foundation that will serve you in life first.  Oh well, time to stop ranting I guess.  I'm just happy I won't be here in 100 years to see the mess that is left of what once was a great country.  I think the biggest mistake was made when Congress failed in the 70's or 80's to make English the official language.

If memory serves me right there was a lawsuit about 10 or 15 years ago  +/-  where a gun org. sued Montclair or upper Montclair on a very similar issue.  We won and the school was forced to recognize the 2A and give equal time to the real US Constitution.    anyone remember this.

Let me be clear... Here's the "reasonable" liberal stance and tolerance on display...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/04/moms-anti-common-core-stance-gets-her-suspended-from-sons-school-threatened-with-arrest/

First Common Core Amendment be Bidened!

At a fundraising Common Core Breakfast in Biden's secret basement ....

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" 

"Pass the syrup so we can find out what's in it."

"If you want to get smart like me, buy a double stack of common core flapjacks."

"What difference does it  make?  I like poached Whitewater eggs."

"Is that the sheeple I smell coming into the capital, above?"

What I find funny is that if you go read news sources on the left, common core is an evil corporate plot by the textbook oligopoly to automate education and eliminate teachers and the NEA.

Seems nobody likes it.

What I find funny is that if you go read news sources on the left, common core is an evil corporate plot by the textbook oligopoly to automate education and eliminate teachers and the NEA.

Seems nobody likes it.

Or everyone thinks it's always someone else's fault. The left blames the right and the right blames the left, so nothing productive ever happens. Thus the problems remain unsolvable.

No one snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche. It's the two party system at work.

Or everyone thinks it's always someone else's fault. The left blames the right and the right blames the left, so nothing productive ever happens. Thus the problems remain unsolvable.

No one snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche. It's the two party system at work.

It's mostly a Statist thing with some socialist, Marxical tendencies.  Just like with Obamacare, they rammed it through, compromised Boehner chose to fund it, Roberts gave it his blessing and now its the fundamental change we were all waiting for.  A little rumbling and it stays as the next distraction comes aboard, we get free mini-ipads or something, and another 25% of our net worth goes poof as the US Titanic sales off.

In an intelligently organized society, the schools would do everything possible to involve parents in their children’s education.  Our Education Establishment is doing the reverse.

Common Core's Dirtiest Trick: Dividing Parents and Children

At one point I realized that I was hearing the same arguments, over and over again, but in different words.

"Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia."