jm1827

Credit card fraud update

So, we had our credit card info stolen last week and we noticied a +$600 charge that we didn't make.  We called the CC company and they closed the account and got us new cards.

Well, today we recieved a package from UPS that we didn't order and wouldn't you know it was the merchandise that was charged on our account.  It had our address with someone else's name and phone #, I am assuming the operson who ordered the merchandise.

We called our CC company and gave them the info, etc.

Very interesting.

Shouldn't you be giving that information to the police department? Has an investigation started yet?

The CC company has started an investifgation and they are contacting the police.  I asked them if they wanted me to call and they said that they would handle it.

The CC company has started an investifgation and they are contacting the police.  I asked them if they wanted me to call and they said that they would handle it.

When my card was hacked for almost $5000 last the bank did nothing other then verify the fraud and eventually refund all the charges. They do not investigate-go after people for such small amounts.

that's actually dam upstanding that you sent the package back. good on you man! we all know that most people out there these days would've kept that package.

that said.......mom found a 5 buck charge on her card a few months ago that she didn't do. it's not much, but she lives on ss, so she doesn't have much either. she called, they canceled her card, and issued her a new numbetr......but getting them to refund that 5 bucks was bordering on ridiculous.

that's actually dam upstanding that you sent the package back. good on you man! we all know that most people out there these days would've kept that package.

that said.......mom found a 5 buck charge on her card a few months ago that she didn't do. it's not much, but she lives on ss, so she doesn't have much either. she called, they canceled her card, and issued her a new numbetr......but getting them to refund that 5 bucks was bordering on ridiculous.

My only concern is that he may have my address and come lookng for the package.  The phone number was a NJ number.

I always try and play by the rules...

Sometimes they do small amount just to test the water to verify the # is active.  

Exactly, my card had 2- $1 charges on it immediately before the larger charge.

that's something i hadn't thought of. when she told me, i told her to just get on the phone to her cc company, and get that card canceled asap. she's a bit paranoid about that stuff. she literally checks her account online 2x a day. i stopped calling her paranoid since she caught that one so quickly.

It sounds like to me that someone quite local to you stole a credit card statement, ordered some stuff and expected to pick it up before you got to it.

Definitely possible, but I go to great lengths to shred all of my paperwork.

My only concern is that he may have my address and come lookng for the package.  The phone number was a NJ number.

I always try and play by the rules...

ofr that reason, i'd be on the phone iwth the police, and make sure they're informed. also, i think you can enter that number into google.......sometimes lots of stuff comes up.

Sometimes they do small amount just to test the water to verify the # is active.

Exactly, my card had 2- $1 charges on it immediately before the larger charge.

Sort of. Some processors are set up to send a $1 pre-auth charge to make sure the card is valid before putting in the auth/capture for the full amount. Other times, it's a fraudster testing the card prior to selling the card info. Our first CC processing company was set up to send $1 pre-auth charges which caused some customers to wonder why they were being billed $1 in addition to their order total. The $1 pre-auth would never post and would fall off in a couple business days but I can't count how many emails I answered about that. The reason why only $1 was used as a pre-auth amount was to prevent tying up large® amounts of available credit/funds on the customer's card. If, for instance, the customer was trying to buy $300 of stuff on a card with only a $500 limit, sending a pre-auth amount of $300 would tie up $300 of the $500 credit and when the pre-auth comes back as good and the transaction goes forward, there isn't enough left on the card to finish the transaction.

Definitely possible, but I go to great lengths to shred all of my paperwork.

Unless your mailbox is a shredder or your mail goes inside your front door, your statement could have been filched out of your box.  When I lived in Montclair, the house was next to an apt building that had a bunch of undesirables living in it.  One woman stole the landlord's mail(we lived in an apt in the house) got the numbers and charged up a bunch of stuff and picked it up at the front door before the landlord got home.   Those priority shipments show up early in the day...I mean, who cares if the shipping is $50+...not paying for it anyway.

It sounds like to me that someone quite local to you stole a credit card statement, ordered some stuff and expected to pick it up before you got to it.

This^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may have been someone local this time but overall this is the 3rd time this card has been compromised this year.  At least one time it was from one of the large data breaches, either Target or Home Depot, and the second time it was most likely not local.

The CC company has always covered all of the costs but this is starting to get old.

UGH this has happened to my wife and I 3 times this year. never received a package but one time we had a charge for 300 bucks in Brazil, and we have never been to brazil yet. Every time we call up the CC company and its easy as can be they open an investigation and send us a new card. We now use cash as much as possible. this shit is rampant and the CC companies are going to have to figure out something or else they are going to have to keep on hemeroageing money.

The Canadians are way ahead of us on this problem.  I spent a few days in Niagara Falls recently and I don't believe my credit card left my hand more than the one time I checked into the hotel.  Meals, retail...all handed me a small device that I swiped myself, entered any applicable tip and hit OK for authorization.  It then printed my receipt.  Not once did the employee even see my card up close. 

Sad it has to come to this, but it is so easy to clone a card that allowing your card out of your sight is just too risky. I suppose that whatever wireless system these devices us is vulnerable as well but it seems a lot easier to secure than a card that disappears in a restaurant for several minutes.

I have had my CC info stolen and used to purchase items. canceled the card got a new one. More often than not the CC company/bank will just take the hit unless its a considerable amount

because it happens so much they don't have the resources to investigate 90% of it. The police as well don't have the resources to do investigations unless its a big time ring they are already investigating in which case its generally the feds who take control of it

Sad state of affairs, it happens world wide. Thousands of times a day.

I have had my CC info stolen and used to purchase items. canceled the card got a new one. More often than not the CC company/bank will just take the hit unless its a considerable amount

because it happens so much they don't have the resources to investigate 90% of it. The police as well don't have the resources to do investigations unless its a big time ring they are already investigating in which case its generally the feds who take control of it

Sad state of affairs, it happens world wide. Thousands of times a day.

Exactly, and the costs are simply added back into our transaction fees!