TxNj

moving to NJ

Hey guys,

I'll be moving to NJ in June from Texas.

Got a few questions, I know y'all have some strict gun laws and I know I must sell my AK, Ar's, and my Uzi before I get there...

So here's my questions.

Are my SKS's legal in NJ. They are stock (wood stock, 10 93rd box magazine, bayonet)?

Can I use steel ammunition?

Are HPs illegal?

Do y'all have the castle doctrine ( can I shoot someone for breaking into my house or car?

Is body armor illegal?

Do I have to register my guns?

Can I sell my guns in NJ privately?

What's the laws on carrying knives?

Sorry if it's a lot, but I appreciate any and all info.

Thanks,

Chad

Oh man - you're moving from one of the freest states to one of the most restrictive... If you can move to PA, I would move there and commute to NJ (if Feasable).

Does your SKS have a fixed mag or removable?  Removable mag SKS are not legal in NJ - only the fixed 10 round mag ones are.

HPs are legal to own and use at home and at the range, or while hunting (provided you have a hunting license and it's the correct gun/season, etc etc).  Follow the transport laws for them (only from home to range, no deviations).

There's no defined castle doctrine in NJ - you have a duty to retreat unless you cannot... then you can utilize force.  If someones breaking into your house or car on your property and you see they have a weapon, you will have to wait for the police to handle it, unless they're coming after you directly...

Body armor is not illegal, but if it's worn while committing a crime, it's an add-on charge.

Gun registration is not mandatory - optional only.

Guns can be sold privately.  Long guns can be sold with CoEs (Certificates of Eligibility - 1 copy for the seller, 1 for the buyer).  Handguns can be purchased with a P2P (Permit to Purchase) - 1 copy goes to seller, 1 to buyer, 1 is sent to NJ State Police.

Knives - eh... grey area... 

Also - don't forget - your magazines for all semi auto guns must be blocked to 15 rounds max.

You can keep your ARs if they're "neutered" to fit NJ's laws - Pin the stock in place, Remove the bayo lug, and pin on a muzzle brake/comp (No flash hiders).

Depending on which model "AK" you have, you may or may not be able to keep it as well.

Oh and if you have any semi auto shotguns - make sure it doesn't have a pistol grip and has a max capacity of 6+1.

You have no duty to retreat if you are in your home.  You may stand at the threshold and repel someone intent on harm with any force necessary. 

That said, if someone is outside destroying your car, call the police.

You have no duty to retreat if you are in your home.  You may stand at the threshold and repel someone intent on harm with any force necessary. 

That said, if someone is outside destroying your car, call the police.

Oop - correct.  

Hey guys,

Got a few questions, I know y'all have some strict gun laws and I know I must sell my AK, Ar's, and my Uzi before I get there... DEPENDS ON THE RECEIVER AND FEATURES OF THE GUNS

So here's my questions.

Are my SKS's legal in NJ. They are stock (wood stock, 10 93rd box magazine, bayonet)? YES as long as it's a fixed magazine. They banned the detachable magazine SKSs.

Can I use steel ammunition? YES (steel cased)

Are HPs illegal? NO but people are iffy on that

Do y'all have the castle doctrine ( can I shoot someone for breaking into my house or car?

Is body armor illegal? NO

Do I have to register my guns? NO

Can I sell my guns in NJ privately? YES as long as they are NJ legal

Thanks,

Chad

I might as well answer a few questions you did not ask.

My future son in law, from Alabama, was shocked to hear that we are a no-issue concealed carry state. Unless you're a cop or politically connected you positively will not be allowed to carry a handgun for self-defense or any other reason.

Transporting handguns or hollow-point ammo is only legal between/among the following "exempt" locations: your home, a range or sanctioned shooting event, and a gun smith or gun shop. There is a provision for "emergencies" but if the cop and prosecutor want they can still screw you up. We are forbidden, for example, from stopping for a sandwich on our way between any of those exempt locations such as after shooting at the range, or from picking someone up for example to shoot with.

Like sexual sins in the Catholic religion there is pretty much no middle ground in terms of the law. Most firearms violations in NJ are felonies carrying a 5 to 10 year sentence, with no possibility of parole for three years. 

A few more tidbits: NJ is one of the four or five most corrupt states in the Union. Our taxes are among the highest if not the highest in the nation. Our large cities are decaying. Our criminal justice system is based on catch-and-release (except for firearm violations). There are many areas, for example the county where I live, where it is practically impossible to sell a house.

Still moving to NJ?

And it's entirely possible that things could become more restrictive here in the coming years.

PA, if it were possibly logistically for you, is a better option regarding firearms and a number of other issues. Philly and Easton, PA.... not the best choices.  Somewhere in between would be better based on what I've seen.  And just because you've got a lease signed or a closing scheduled, doesn't mean you can't fix it a year from now.

NJ doesn't entirely suck.  But, our politicians are working on "fixing" that for us.

Good luck Chad. And welcome to the People's Republic Of New Jersey.

Why not? You're still there.

Actually you're right. My presence raises the status of this state from pathetic corrupt ugly unbearable shithole to pathetic corrupt unbearable shithole. 

Seriously: five old "parents," kids still clinging in one way or another, inability to get a decent price on the house. I wake up nights sometimes with my heart pounding believing I'll never leave. 

Welcome. Come to NJ and help spread the truth. You'll encounter many nay sayers and the laws will make you want to beat your head against a wall.

We need MORE people coming from free states to help educate our populace. Even if you sway one person.

What part of Texas are you coming from? I lived in El Paso for 10 years.

Again, welcome to ya'awl. If I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me. Perhaps we'll meet at a shotgun shootout (clay shoot)!

Welcome to Jersey! Between now and June, if you browse the forums a bit I'm sure your questions will be answered. What part of Jersey are you moving to? Some parts/towns are a bit more....2A friendly so to speak, so I'd keep that in mind.

Also, yes what was said before...don't sell your AR's/AK's just yet. Make em Jersey legal if you can!

Seriously, NJ is a skinny state. I am stuck in NJ as my wife is an employee of the state and Governor asshat signed a law that says we cannot move out. If only we had moved to PA when we had the chance in 2002.

PA can be reached in about an hour from almost any location in NJ. That hour commute is something to consider for keeping the freedoms that you are familiar with.

Where in NJ are you thinking of moving to?

Realistically, it's not a "Let's talk someone out of coming to Jersey" thing. But we do want what is best of the situation. So a bit more info is helpful. 

Personally I LOVE NJ as a state. I do hate the politics, laws and taxes lol

Buy Evan Nappen's book.

http://www.evannappen.com/index.html

It explains everything. Including how to make your AR's and AK's NJ legal, (Uzi is banned by name).

If you can avoid it - don't move to NJ.

Buying Nappen's book on NJ gun laws is excellent advice.

But the fact that Nappen's book on NJ gun laws runs over 500 pages tells you a lot about what a quagmire this state is for gun owners.

Hell, I can almost commute to NYC from just south of Easton as fast as I can get there from the Freehold area.  Typcially 2 hrs + in the morning via bus to NYC's east side of Manhattan.  If you work IN Jersey, even as a contractor and going all over the state, there's a pretty good chance you could swing the commute from Eastern PA.

And consider this.... people FROM new Jersey are telling you to live in PA.

And like Infamous said, NJ has it's good parts.... The area by Round Valley Reservoir is beautiful.  In fact, most of NW Jersey is pretty damn nice.  The South... well... other than the beaches, we've got a bit of a problem there.  Ditto for the Newark, East Orange, Scurvington areas.

But, it's the GARDEN state... how bad could it be???

;-)

Hey guys,

Got a few questions, I know y'all have some strict gun laws and I know I must sell my AK, Ar's, and my Uzi before I get there...

So here's my questions.

Are my SKS's legal in NJ. They are stock (wood stock, 10 93rd box magazine, bayonet)?

Can I use steel ammunition?

Are HPs illegal?

Is body armor illegal?

Do I have to register my guns?

Can I sell my guns in NJ privately?

Thanks,

Chad

I'll keep it simple brother... DON'T DO IT!!!! It's not that we don't like you, we do. We just don't want to see you trapped in this gun hating, Anti 2nd amendment, Anti Right to self protection, anti constitutional, politically correct, liberal controlled, Anti American, HELL! I don't even consider this state a part of America. If you can pull off the PA thing do it! Much better place to live. Their gun laws in Pennsylvania are actually better than Texas!

You do realize were all trying or hoping to escape this state, to move to where you live now for the freedom? If there's any way you can avoid becoming a resident of this state, don't hesitate take the opportunity to live elsewhere.

Lol thanks guys for all the info. I'm coming from San Antonio. I love my guns and I'm just glad y'all have shooting ranges there. I'm moving there because I inherited a house up there. I just became retired (medically) from the military with 100% disability and luckily don't have to pay property tax because of that. I plan on going to school full time to finish up my degrees. I'll be moving near McGuire AFB. I'll be up there in December. I'll keep an eye out for shooting ranges and competitions. Just hope I don't get in trouble up there

Fort Dix Range 14 is right close to you.  As is Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club.  Old Bridge RPC is a bit further.  There are USPSA and other types of competitions at both CJ and OB.

Thanks for your service - hope to see you at a range sometime.

Review very carefully with a tax accountant located in NJ first. Our two favorite things here are Taxes and Lawyers. That exemption is not very cut-n-dry here. Note also that is not the only expense that is high in NJ. We also have very cold/snow/icy winters as well, along with humid summers. Last year I was in Texas hill country, near the Alamo. While the temps were high, it was much more pleasant than NJ. Think very hard about this, a free house is not enough to move here for.

Realistically, it's not a "Let's talk someone out of coming to Jersey" thing. But we do want what is best of the situation. So a bit more info is helpful. 

Personally I LOVE NJ as a state. I do hate the politics, laws and taxes lol

If you were in hell would you not try to convince somebody not to enter if it was within their power?

Lol thanks guys for all the info. I'm coming from San Antonio. I love my guns and I'm just glad y'all have shooting ranges there. I'm moving there because I inherited a house up there. I just became retired (medically) from the military with 100% disability and luckily don't have to pay property tax because of that. I plan on going to school full time to finish up my degrees. I'll be moving near McGuire AFB. I'll be up there in December. I'll keep an eye out for shooting ranges and competitions. Just hope I don't get in trouble up there

Wow. First thanks for your service. Second, do yourself a favor. Sell the house and use the proceeds to move somewhere else. Guns are just a tiny part of it, but that alone will drive you crazy at some point.