Newtonian

Does eliminating this iconic symbol achieve anything? (or What's this world coming to?)

The confederate flag nonsense began a couple of days ago and has caught fire. Rand Paul, Mitch McConnel, and Nikki Barber have joined the bandwagon. I tried to order one today but every remaining online vendor I visited was sold out. One outfit claimed they used to ship 20 per week but had just sold out their entire inventory in one day. 

Estimation among writers as to the significance of slavery to the Civil War varies significantly, from like 90% to 10%. Perhaps professional historians have a narrower view.

To me the Civil War was perhaps 40% about slavery, 50% about a free people wanting to remain free, and 10% something else. Slavery was a part of it but as several writers have noted there were fighters and supporters who owned slaves on the North side, and fighters and supporters who did not on the South's. 

One thing you can say about Americans, 1860-1865, was that they dealt with real issues. Today significant politicians, people I admired at one time, grab onto phony issues like the Confederate flag for political gain. OK, Walmart. Don't sell any more Confederate crap. Will that change the fact that each year 6000 black Americans are killed by 6000 other black Americans?

We're living through our collective descent into insanity. 

i refuse to call it the 'Civil War'. I call it the War between the States'.

I seem to recall it had more tondo with trade and tariffs than it did slavery.

I also seem recall that the Union army fired the first shots at Ft. Sumpter, but am not positive.

I also seem recall that the Union army fired the first shots at Ft. Sumpter, but am not positive.

It is my understanding that it also had a lot to do with states' rights vs. the federal government, an issue still very much under discussion today.

It is my understanding that it also had a lot to do with states' rights vs. the federal government, an issue still very much under discussion today.

True.

Many people 'forget' there were a LOT of slave owners in the North, including right here in New Jersey.

The people wailing and gnashing their teeth over this are the same that think the war was solely over slavery and think the Democrats freed the slaves.

Hence my earlier statement about astounding stupidity.....

Much ado about nothing. You can't walk around a corner these days without offending some f****t. More than a few are here on NJGF. They spend some of their day here and the rest wondering why they have no need of the front pouch on their Jockey shorts.

I understand if it offends someone.  I also understand if it means southern pride, rebellion against northern oppression (still going on- ask any of us in South Jersey), or southern rural lifestyle.

Nobody should be able to tell anyone else what flag they can fly. 

True.

Many people 'forget' there were a LOT of slave owners in the North, including right here in New Jersey.

NJ never voted for Lincoln in a presidential election.  NJ was a fan of slaves, it kept cotton prices low,  Paterson was the capital of textiles back then.

I understand if it offends someone. I also understand if it means southern pride, rebellion against northern oppression (still going on- ask any of us in South Jersey), or southern rural lifestyle.

Nobody should be able to tell anyone else what flag they can fly.

The whole point to me is the every single one of us can find SOMETHING that offends us. Does that mean it should be banned???

Slippery slope we are going down, in my humble opinion. Where does it stop?

If the rednecks want to keep running around waving the flag and commemorating a grim chapter of American history, well, that's still protected speech. I don't favor banning the flag.

It is long past time to remove it from government buildings, however.  I have nothing but disdain for elected officials who:

1) Willfully antagonize a significant portion of their constituents, just because they can, and,

2) Want to pretend that it's still 1865.

The first is just wrong (and I'm looking at you, too, Sweeney).  The second is just sad.

Lol General Lee toy cars from Dukes of Hazzard will be banned from having the iconic Confederate flag on their roofs.

Shit just got more real!

Why are people throwing around terms like "Banned"....

People want the flag removed from a governments flag pole and all of a sudden the Ban wagon is in town...

It's a companies right to sell or not sell something, nothing has or is being banned.

I've also heard it called the "War of Northern Aggression"

My family settled in Alabama when they emigrated here from Ireland in the 1700s. Alabama is called the "Heart of Dixie". My right arm has been emblazoned with the Battle Flag in a heart since 1985 and it will stay there. I was asked today (in DC) if I was going to have it covered up...I held my tongue and walked away.

f9a1a39fab89710e7a290cecc21f7c43.jpg

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

For those of you who are open minded enough to read an entire article on this topic, here is a link to a well written one.
It takes an objective view of the Confederate Battle Flag issue, something that many of you, and myself included, find difficult to do:

From Vox.com on June 22, 2015

The Confederate flag symbolizes white supremacy — and it always has
by Libby Nelson

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/20/8818093/confederate-flag-south-carolina-charleston-shooting