dajonga

Gov't 20" questions

I am looking to add AR #2 to the fleet, and I like the idea of a classic, Gov't M-16 looking rifle.

I have a M4 clone, a Windham MPC, that I love.

I have tried a red dot. Meh.

I have tried a 1-4x scope. Meh.

I like iron sights.....In most of my pursuits in life, I like to keep it simple.

Is there any advantage to the gov't 20" rifle, other than sight radius?

Does anyone make a NJ compliant 20 incher? I see Windham makes one, but it is not NJ ready.

Govt%2020_zps7ll94son.jpg

I have a few 20" uppers. Nicest shooting AR's I own.

My personal preference is the PSA 20" premium CHF upper (suitably modified for NJ compliance, of course).

Mine is mated to a Colt MT6700 lower. I bought my upper right after Sandy Hook went down, I believe I paid $550 sans BCG. They are much cheaper now.

20" AR's are smoooooth shooters!

I am looking to add AR #2 to the fleet, and I like the idea of a classic, Gov't M-16 looking rifle.

I have a M4 clone, a Windham MPC, that I love.

I have tried a red dot. Meh.

I have tried a 1-4x scope. Meh.

I like iron sights.....In most of my pursuits in life, I like to keep it simple.

Is there any advantage to the gov't 20" rifle, other than sight radius?

Does anyone make a NJ compliant 20 incher? I see Windham makes one, but it is not NJ ready.

Posted Image

I have been debating selling mine even though I love the thing. I want to build something very similar to it and just can't justify having so many ARs. I could just customize the Bushmaster but, I haven't messed with it yet and I think it should stay stock.

Posted Image

I have been debating selling mine even though I love the thing. I want to build something very similar to it and just can't justify having so many ARs. I could just customize the Bushmaster but, I haven't messed with it yet and I think it should stay stock.

IMG_20151104_201839_4.jpg

Your intuition is correct, it should stay stock.

IMG_20151104_201839_4.jpg

DEfinitely keep it stock.

I have the same rifle- post ban XM15 Bushy, A3 flat top and HBAR 1-9 barrel.  It was my first AR.  I bought it after they passed the Assault Gun ban.  I guess that would be 1994 (back when Bushy made a good product).

DEfinitely keep it stock.

I have the same rifle- post ban XM15 Bushy, A3 flat top and HBAR 1-9 barrel. It was my first AR. I bought it after they passed the Assault Gun ban. I guess that would be 1994 (back when Bushy made a good product).

Yeah, its a good one. I have three buyers interested but I don't think I'm gonna let it go. It's just too cool and classic looking.

I'll just add to the collection. B)

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine"

Armalite National match M-15A4NM. It's heavy as hell, but it shoots better than any of my other AR'S. Flat top upper with removable cary handle, in case you want to change it from National match configuration with optics. This is definitely the Cadillac of 20" A4 style rifles.

And yes it comes AWB legal (jersey legal) directly from Armalite. Had someone pin and weld the brake currently on the rifle.

6dabd603d8d770e2563d82be98e29497.jpg

Ugh.. I dumped my post-ban bushie. It looked hella gay with no muzzle device. The gun show dealer was upset I didn't have a ten round mag. I told him the thing didn't work and I threw it out 10 years earlier. It looked like Bushmaster took a regular mag and cut it down with a SawsAll. My buddy bought one at the same time and his doesn't work either.

Is the idea to keep it stock because they built a good gun back there or do you guys actually think they are collectible? I would be rather surprised to learn they are collectible. I would at least put a brake on the thing.

I doubt they are collectible. I still have the original MT6700 post ban upper for mine just to maintain the factory rifle configuration, but I'll likely never shoot that upper again. I don't expect that maintaining my 6700 as a 'whole' rifle makes it worth more $.

Nice thing about the AR, is push 2 pins, slide on a different upper, and you have a new rifle (in essence).

AR's are not collectible, generally speaking. Keep your gun anyway you like it, there are aesthetics and those are personal and there are practical considerations but collectible is not really one of them.

Make your rifle into what you want, that is the beauty of the platform. To me, a rifle you don't shoot is nature's hint that you don't really like it. I have some like that which I probably should sell but my wife bans me from selling guns, bless her little heart.

I agree with Vlad, there are very few 'collectible' AR's out there.

It's funny, I just got a text from a friend of mine in California who wants to buy my MT6700 upper group. Looks like I won't be holding on to it after all.

Agreed. Most AR's don't have much appreciation potential, there were just too many made.

The only reason I choose to keep my Bushy stock is personal.  I like the classic look, the gun represents a certain period of time (AWB era) and it was made when the only big AR manufacturers were ABC (armalite, bushmaster, colt).  Also, the Bushy was made in Windham, before Freedom Group took over.

So, while it might not go up in value, to me, its worth leaving stock.  For that matter, my AR's that get used are all built from generic pieces i.e. Aero receivers, custom barrels, etc.  If I wear something out, F-it, just buy another part and move forward.  I'm not sourcing any original, factory parts.

Ed, I don't think it's that uncommon. I've seen several variations of Match Target stampings, Colt Defense, Colt's Manufacturing, Colt's Firearms Division, and I have one marked Colt Manufacturing LLC.

Don't know if one is worth more than another, but it is interesting how they change the manufactures mark from time to time.

Ive only seen that rollmark once before on g broker. Either way i still shoot it and its dead accurate. Im sorry youre right it usually says colt manufacturing. But colt defense is the 6920 and 6940's and non match target rifles.

AR's are not collectible, generally speaking. Keep your gun anyway you like it, there are aesthetics and those are personal and there are practical considerations but collectible is not really one of them.

Make your rifle into what you want, that is the beauty of the platform. To me, a rifle you don't shoot is nature's hint that you don't really like it. I have some like that which I probably should sell but my wife bans me from selling guns, bless her little heart.

This!!!