JW_Pepper

Gun oil substitutes

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions for alternatives to gun oil? I've heard ATF and motor oil work just as fine if not better. I know for some this might seem trivial but I find it hard to justify spending $5 for 4oz of oil labelled for "guns" when I can get a quart of motor oil or ATF for the same price.

I've also used a synthetic motor oil for years.

motor oil is designed to protect engines, in high heat, carbon laden environments.  It resists shearing due to high speed metallic parts movements.  It reduces viscosity breakdown in high temps and remains fluid in low temps.  It has additives to prevent corrosion.

I usually use a heavier weight, like a 5w50.

Good info here thanks for the replies.

Okay, I just have to ask. Is $5 really an issue? That $5 tube of grease/oil will last a long time with normal cleaning/lubing.

Shoot 1 magazine less of 9mm a year to pay for it.

Money is not an issue but I literally have gallons of motor oil (over 40 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40 alone), ATF, MTF, gear oil, etc in my garage so why not use them. If the oil is safe to run in my motor at up to 7000rpm, I think it would be more than adequate for lubing any firearm as others have pointed out.

I just use the tears of my enemies, they work just as fine and they are just sitting there unused.

You know how motor oil comes in lots of grades? Is that because all engines are the same and have the exact some oil requirements or is it because some engines are different then others? If different motors prefer different oil grades, why wouldn't a completely different machines, vastly different from an engine not have its own preferences?

What I'm saying is you don't put 10w40 in a engine that calls for 0w20 so why are you putting either in a gun?

Mind you, they will work, guns are not really finicky and you could run them personal lubricants if you wanted to,  but for a few dollars, get things that have cleaners and preservatives designed for the refuse specific to guns?

I use Tri-flow. Always have.

My Dad told me when he was in the Pacific during WW2 they would pull the dip stick on a jeep (or what ever) and even used Vaseline to keep their M1s running. and from rusting...

I think almost anything we have nowadays would be better then they had back then. As long as you use something. 

Smitty, I wish the original Tri-flon was still made. That stuff was the best! The newer Tri-flon is good, but nowhere near the original. [emoji37]

You're going back to the late 70s! I was told the name change was just some copywrite dispute or something. Didn't see any difference it how it preformed. 

I just use the tears of my enemies, they work just as fine and they are just sitting there unused.

You know how motor oil comes in lots of grades? Is that because all engines are the same and have the exact some oil requirements or is it because some engines are different then others? If different motors prefer different oil grades, why wouldn't a completely different machines, vastly different from an engine not have its own preferences?

What I'm saying is you don't put 10w40 in a engine that calls for 0w20 so why are you putting either in a gun?

Mind you, they will work, guns are not really finicky and you could run them personal lubricants if you wanted to, but for a few dollars, get things that have cleaners and preservatives designed for the refuse specific to guns?

Why do you always do that? You know, when you dont know a whole lot about something, so you'll just say something condescending and goofy?

With motor oil, the different numbers refer to the viscosity make up of the oil. It can be a straight weight i.e. 30w or it can be a multi weight where the first number denotes how the oil performs at cold temps and the second number is when the oil heats up. Motor oil has detergents and protectants in it too. Also, it is designed to survive in an environment of heat, rotating metal parts and metal/aluminum pistons that move at high speed, driven by an explosion that produces carbon residue. Nothing like a gun, of course.

Theres more, but...

Eh, i know, i know...why type all this to educate ya? You got me.

Shhh. Let them use any oil they want. Motor oil, olive oil, oil of olay. When the guns wear out quicker, they buy more. Hence, the cycle of life.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Eric, if it is all the same, next time you change your car's oil would you fill it up with Breakfree CLP? Or whatever gun oil? Why or why not?

Why not? Because a high quality synthetic motor oil blend is superior to Breakfree. Thats why not.

I use Tri-flow. Always have.

My Dad told me when he was in the Pacific during WW2 they would pull the dip stick on a jeep (or what ever) and even used Vaseline to keep their M1s running. and from rusting...

I think almost anything we have nowadays would be better then they had back then. As long as you use something. 

Haha, the ole dipstick trick is what I used to use on my siding brake. always at the ready. I think the gun oil debate is just too anal. use whatever just use it and use common sense. Altho not sure about olive oil or crisco, dont need to feel hungry when that stuff cooks off and smells like kitchen. and its not like the parts are cycling  many thousands of times per minute like an engine. if you clean your guns regulerly (unlike me) you'll see soon enough whats rubbing too much and leaving excess crud and re-evaluate. I use BF CLP because its good and I got a shitload of it via the Marine five finger discount a while back. Now just because it lubes doesnt mean it protects well for rusting, thats another story.....

tbqo7CN_zpsd7dc1de5.jpg

I have been very happy with Ballistol which both cleans and lubricates.  It is what Hickock45 uses and recommends.  Here is an Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Non-Aerosol-Friendly-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B00ZAPMCHE

Looking at the washer above that was protected by Ballistol, it seems to provide little protection against the elements. Not that you are going to leave your guns out in the rain for

extended periods. I use Corrosion -X and or Tri-Flow which appeared to fare better in the above test.

The washer test does not show the lubricating properties of each test oil but my big fear is opening my safe and finding rust on my guns.

Here is a link to an exhaustive test I found very interesting! http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Why not? Because a high quality synthetic motor oil blend is superior to Breakfree. Thats why not.

Fantastic, you go right ahead and do whatever makes your little heart happy with your own guns.  I for one found that using motor oil for all your guns is a pretty dumb idea, as my guns seem to perform better and longer using different types of lubricants depending on what I use them for and how the gun is built and how it functions.

I would be curious though to know about your test on this subject.

How often do you clean your guns or relube them, both in round count and time interval.

What temperature ranges have you tested your motor oil in? Do you recommend a particular viscosity for winter and summer use?

What happens if your guns are dunked in water or get very wet?

Which motor oils should I use in dusty conditions?

Do all motor oils works the same in a gas gun and short recoil gun? Do you recommend one over the other?

Which motor oils suspend burned powder better then the others?

Apparently you like to comment so all my posts, so lets make a sport of it then. Please let me know how you have tested the above, with what fire arms and what were your results with different motor oils and how those results compared to using gun oils.

I await your information with bated breath.

I honestly dislike the conversation about what kind of lube to use much more than the 9mm vs .45 debate. Especially now more than ever because of the controversy surrounding FireClean.

I've used Militec-1. I tried it on a whim and it's worked for me. Is it the best? Hell if I know. The fundamental concept of lubricant hasn't changed and whether formula x out performs formula y seems more like a pissing contest than anything.

I'll try a different lube with every purchase and I doubt I'll notice a difference. I've never heard of a gun which failed because the user used the wrong flavor of lube.

• Like 1

Have you ever looked under a car that had a little oil leaking? Notice any dirt stuck to the oil?

I use Frog Lube and nothing sticks to it and its well worth the price

Have you ever looked under a car that had a little oil leaking? Notice any dirt stuck to the oil?

I use Frog Lube and nothing sticks to it and its well worth the price

Hunter, that's not a good comparison. Take your frog lube gun and strap it under your car. It will get dirty.

I honestly dislike the conversation about what kind of lube to use much more than the 9mm vs .45 debate. Especially now more than ever because of the controversy surrounding FireClean.

I've used Militec-1. I tried it on a whim and it's worked for me. Is it the best? Hell if I know. The fundamental concept of lubricant hasn't changed and whether formula x out performs formula y seems more like a pissing contest than anything.

I'll try a different lube with every purchase and I doubt I'll notice a difference. I've never heard of a gun which failed because the user used the wrong flavor of lube.

I'll agree with you about the debate. Who cares. If it works for you so be it.

Finding the holy grail of wear resistance? Stuff wears, it's life.

Fantastic, you go right ahead and do whatever makes your little heart happy with your own guns. I for one found that using motor oil for all your guns is a pretty dumb idea, as my guns seem to perform better and longer using different types of lubricants depending on what I use them for and how the gun is built and how it functions.

I would be curious though to know about your test on this subject.

How often do you clean your guns or relube them, both in round count and time interval.

What temperature ranges have you tested your motor oil in? Do you recommend a particular viscosity for winter and summer use?

What happens if your guns are dunked in water or get very wet?

Which motor oils should I use in dusty conditions?

Do all motor oils works the same in a gas gun and short recoil gun? Do you recommend one over the other?

Which motor oils suspend burned powder better then the others?

Apparently you like to comment so all my posts, so lets make a sport of it then. Please let me know how you have tested the above, with what fire arms and what were your results with different motor oils and how those results compared to using gun oils.

I await your information with bated breath.

And, i await with bait on my breath.

You win.

Yay I win.

Look, objectively I agree that lubes are lubes and they all work, you could probably run your guns on bacon fat.  Motor oil is just peachy for certain applications, and I actually use it myself on guns, particularly piston actuated shotguns where I find it to be really perfect.

I also agree that if you take the religious like attachment to weapons maintenance that some branches of the military embrace, then again it doesn't matter because if you keep cleaning it and keep lubing it all the damn time, who cares how well the oil stays on or wears.

However if you are like me, and I'm well aware there are lots of people who are not me, I don't like to spend too much time cleaning my guns or oiling them or checking them for the right degree of dirt in suspension. I like to maybe clean my guns every 1000rd or so, with one or two applications of a couple of drops of lube in between. And I like them to still work, and I found that motor oil doesn't work for that. It doesn't stay in place, it sprays out of the gun more then I'd like, it drains out of the gun if left in the safe for too long etc. There are other products our there that do not do that and are better suited for gun related applications.

Hunter, that's not a good comparison. Take your frog lube gun and strap it under your car. It will get dirty.

It is a great comparison because oil attracts dust and dirt while frog lube will not

I believe I read that FrogLube gums up in lower temps.

if its not applied correctly it can gum up. The simple secrete is you should not see or feel any lube after its applied and treated correctly. That is the opposite of every other lube since the beginning of lube manufacturing. It is also why so many have a hard time using FL, they have been "trained" to put a drop here and a drop there and call it good.

I've never used any of the new high speed stuff. Also never used motor oil although I would have no problems doing so. I still use the old school stuff even though I know it burns off faster than some stuff. I only avoid CLP. After 25 years of using that crap in the military and civilian life I read online that it gums up if left on the weapon for extended periods. Then I realized, "That's happened to me! More than once!"

That was, until I found this: